Guide to Preparing for Cataclysm (video)

New Player Help and Guides
Youtube video that I made on things to do to prepare for the upcoming expansion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcw1C5YRdxA
I can see why you'd want to ditch old gear sets from your bank, but when you're talking about trade goods, don't be so sell-crazy. You say that saronite ore will become worthless, but right now the most valuable common ore is mithril. Fel Iron and Adamantite from Burning Crusade sell much better now than they did at the end of Burning Crusade. Saronite will probably still be needed to get yourself up to 425 and start the Cata recipes, and when people stop mining it, the supply will go down, increasing its value.

I think most everything for trade skills gained in value from BC to LK. The stuff I'm trying to sell off are things like potions (speed, healing, mana).

You can even capitalize on peoples' new rerolls by taking old mats you already have and making them into a "blacksmithing powerlevel kit" or something similar.
I agree that getting rid of mats is a bad idea.
I can see why you'd want to ditch old gear sets from your bank, but when you're talking about trade goods, don't be so sell-crazy. You say that saronite ore will become worthless, but right now the most valuable common ore is mithril. Fel Iron and Adamantite from Burning Crusade sell much better now than they did at the end of Burning Crusade. Saronite will probably still be needed to get yourself up to 425 and start the Cata recipes, and when people stop mining it, the supply will go down, increasing its value.

I think most everything for trade skills gained in value from BC to LK. The stuff I'm trying to sell off are things like potions (speed, healing, mana).

You can even capitalize on peoples' new rerolls by taking old mats you already have and making them into a "blacksmithing powerlevel kit" or something similar.

Phantamoo Crits Nail on head for 10,245,532 damage. Nail dies.

Phantamoo Crits Nail on head for 10,245,532 damage. Nail dies.

lol -_-
Yeah the price going up on items has less to do with demand and more to do with inflation. Each Expansion we get more gold and therefore people have more to spend. This makes prices go up. What was once worth 10g is now worth 50g because of the amount of money we can make in Wrath. It's not the item that's worth more its the gold that's worth less.

If you buy trade mats now and wait a year, you'll likely get more gold back when selling them in cataclysm because you bought them when gold was worth more.