Moonfarespam: The Moonkin PvE Guide 4.1

Druid
Prev 1 2 3 32 Next
Thanks for a fantastic guide!

As far as DF heroic instances go, would it make sense to go Solar + IS + SF + Hurricane? Or are Starfall and Lunar-Showered MF just so superior that they're pretty much the only way to get any DPS in at all? The thought of all that moving around and MF spam...while it may be fun for a run or two...kinda makes me wanna cry. ;)
Still a really great guide. here's hoping they fix the Sunfire issue soon
Thanks for a fantastic guide!

As far as DF heroic instances go, would it make sense to go Solar + IS + SF + Hurricane? Or are Starfall and Lunar-Showered MF just so superior that they're pretty much the only way to get any DPS in at all? The thought of all that moving around and MF spam...while it may be fun for a run or two...kinda makes me wanna cry. ;)

My view on heroics is really just do whatever is the most fun for you. As long as you're not brain dead, you'll do enough DPS to get your group through the instance. If you don't really want to run around spamming MF (although I can't understand why you wouldn't) then yeah, go ahead and sit in solar and spam dot + hurricane.
OK it's all pretty now. Formatting here is such a pain right now.
Heaps ty for all the work you've put in! Much appreciated.
Looks pretty good. Well done.
Thank you so much. I've had my druid shelved for a bit, thinking about trying out Balance as I have always been resto up til now.
Should change the "shoulder and chest" enchants to "head and shoulder" enchants.

Otherwise a very solid read for new balance druids.
Should change the "shoulder and chest" enchants to "head and shoulder" enchants.

Otherwise a very solid read for new balance druids.

Wow, good catch, thanks. Can't believe I missed that in the 10 million rereads I've done of this thing.
Another change may be with the Prime Glyphs. I was under the impression that Insect Swarm and Moonfire were the mandatory ones and the options for the third spot was between Wrath and Starsurge. Personally I use Insect Swarm, Moonfire and Wrath.
Another change may be with the Prime Glyphs. I was under the impression that Insect Swarm and Moonfire were the mandatory ones and the options for the third spot was between Wrath and Starsurge. Personally I use Insect Swarm, Moonfire and Wrath.

I second this. Moonfire glyph affects Sunfire (which by the way is fixed in 4.0.3). Starsurge glyph really shines when you have multiple targets to hit with starfall, or you can line it up to your lunar eclipse. (Or you just need it up more often then every 60 seconds, like blood beasts on Saurfang or for the Vile Spirit room on heroic LK)
A couple other things:

Starsurge does not get 209% crit damage. It does not get the 100% crit damage buff from Moonfury, so it only does 150% (plus whatever else) damage. This is changed in beta, where Starsurge is included in Moonfury.

Once sunfire is fixed (see: 4.0.3), you will always want to insect swarm first, not moonfire/sunfire. Moonfire and Sunfire (eclipsed) do more average damage per DoT tick then insect swarm, when both are properly glyphed.
A couple other things:
Starsurge does not get 209% crit damage. It does not get the 100% crit damage buff from Moonfury, so it only does 150% (plus whatever else) damage. This is changed in beta, where Starsurge is included in Moonfury.

i'm assuming the reason my SS can still hit harder than wrath is the longer base cast time = higher damage coefficient? good news since starsurge already hits pretty hard. thanks for the info!
Once sunfire is fixed (see: 4.0.3), you will always want to insect swarm first, not moonfire/sunfire. Moonfire and Sunfire (eclipsed) do more average damage per DoT tick then insect swarm, when both are properly glyphed.

i haven't seen it on the patch notes yet but the devs are planning on moving sunfire over to a 2 second tic? interesting news, i'll be able to rearrange my bars a little to always hit certain buttons first by rote.
OK. I was under the impression that MF and wrath were really close to each other. I suppose it does make more sense to keep the two dot glyphs and swap out SS or wrath depending on the situation, though. I know with 4.0.3 that MF will def surge ahead of wrath, though. Anyway, the glyph stuff is something I've kind of been going back and forth on for a while. I think for now I'll just leave it as is.

Yep.

Working on a 4.0.3 level 85 guide right now. I'm posting it piece by piece on the moonkin repository, in the cata section, if anyone wants to help proofread and stuff.
i'm assuming the reason my SS can still hit harder than wrath is the longer base cast time = higher damage coefficient? good news since starsurge already hits pretty hard. thanks for the info!

Actually, SS has both a higher damage coefficient and higher base damage, but a lower base cast time (2s, versus wrath's 2.5s).

Actually, SS has both a higher damage coefficient and higher base damage, but a lower base cast time (2s, versus wrath's 2.5s).

ah, right. since starsurge is not affected by starlight wrath. makes sense for it to have a higher coefficient/base damage/lower cast time as it is a signature ability of the spec. i suppose the reason i always think of starsurge as having a longer cast time than talented wrath is purely in my head. i'm probably nuts.
YOU GUYS. I HAS A MOONFARE!11!

Also,

ah, right. since starsurge is not affected by starlight wrath. makes sense for it to have a higher coefficient/base damage/lower cast time as it is a signature ability of the spec. i suppose the reason i always think of starsurge as having a longer cast time than talented wrath is purely in my head. i'm probably nuts.

Maybe you're just thinking of pre 4.0 wrath. I'm still not entirely used to the slower Wrath casts myself. D:
I've looked at your other guide posted here on the previous forums, I have to say its a great one. Inspired me to gear up my druid thats been lying on the shelf for some time now :)
I've looked at your other guide posted here on the previous forums, I have to say its a great one. Inspired me to gear up my druid thats been lying on the shelf for some time now :)

Yay, welcome (back) to duridz
Thank you for the guide. It's great.