Moonfarespam: The Moonkin PvE Guide 4.1

Druid
Prev 1 28 29 30 32 Next
02/14/2011 11:03 PMPosted by Eluial
I dont see anything in your rotation section about Faerie Fire. I don't know if this spell still matters, but I would like to know if we are still supposed to use it or not. Thanks!

It's not in the rotation section cause it's not something that should even be on your bars :)

Faerie fire is purely a melee debuff, and in a raid setting, there is very likely someone else that provides an equivalent debuff. If there isn't, you can discuss with your raid leader whether or not they think it's worth it for you to put up. It costs a moonkin 3 GCDs every 5 mins to maintain the full debuff on a target.

I failed at this last week. I was only person with an armor debuff in the raid (neither our feral or war were there last week). Going into the raid I knew I was going to have to put up Faerie fire and completely brainfarted on putting it up lol.

Looking back though the only boss I prolly wouldn't have put it up is ODS due to so much target switching.
I failed at this last week. I was only person with an armor debuff in the raid (neither our feral or war were there last week). Going into the raid I knew I was going to have to put up Faerie fire and completely brainfarted on putting it up lol.

Looking back though the only boss I prolly wouldn't have put it up is ODS due to so much target switching.

Yeah, I would balk pretty hard at being asked to put it up, and would straight up refuse on ODS. In a situation where you're melee heavy enough that it would make a significant difference, it would be almost impossible not to have someone else that provides the debuff. Rogues, warriors and 2 different hunter pets have the ability (in addition to feral druids).

edit: lol@shadow avatar. wtf?
Hey, so I'm pretty much all 346+ besides my boots that I'm still working on a replacement for and my trinkets because I haven't gotten a better drop yet, but anyways...

The armory doesn't seem completely updated on my gemming and enchants, so hopefully by the time someone reads this, it will be updated. I feel that I'm following the rotation perfectly yet on a raiders training dummy, I am only pulling around 8.9k dps and in dungeons like 8k on boss fights, in my feral tank gear, in cat form I can faceroll 11 or 12k :(

I know I need to unforge some spirit or hit because I'm over the cap atm, because I just got enchants on everything.

Any suggestions on how to reforge/regem my gear?

Thanks in advance.

Well, I think your armory is still a bit wonky. You're showing feral boots and rainsong (which may be intentional, but even a green trinket would be better than that).

What you should do is go ahead and load yourself into chardev (www.chardev.org/?c) and undo all your reforges. Then go ahead and follow the steps in the reforge guideline in the main thread. This way you can play around with your stats without spending crazy amounts of gold at the reforger.
As a note on Wild Mushroom tracking, I've been trying to find a way to have the three mushrooms from default UI show even when using other Unit frames. Most unit frame mods do not recognize that WMs are treated as totems and use a Totem Frame so they disable the frame for our class. A little experimentation today with /framestack and I got a handle on the frame name. It is TotemFrameTotem and is essentially the same frame Shaman use for totems attached to their player frame.

So steps to make it visible:

Download MoveAnything mod and install. Disable your unit frame mod temporarily.
Cast WM to see your Mushrooms.
Type in /move to enable MoveAnything mod and type in "totem" in search field
Select the mover for Shaman Totem Timers and move the frame with your 3 mushrooms wherever you want it.
Deselect mover when done.
Log out and re-enable your unit frame mod.
Wa-la and done.

I just find this useful to ensure that all 3 Mushrooms did in fact get planted before hitting Detonate and it's been bothering me not having the view. Posting here in case this was bothering anyone else.
Thanks for the frame name! I was actually frustrated over that last night...that will prove useful next week.

@Shadow avatars: Log out, then back in. Seemed to work for me!
Thank you Calculatéd for figuring that out. I'm not savvy in the ways of figuring stuff like that out so I was really hoping you would be able to come up with something. gonna go try to get it setup right now.

Edit: works like a charm :D
As a note on Wild Mushroom tracking, I've been trying to find a way to have the three mushrooms from default UI show even when using other Unit frames. Most unit frame mods do not recognize that WMs are treated as totems and use a Totem Frame so they disable the frame for our class. A little experimentation today with /framestack and I got a handle on the frame name. It is TotemFrameTotem and is essentially the same frame Shaman use for totems attached to their player frame.

So steps to make it visible:

Download MoveAnything mod and install. Disable your unit frame mod temporarily.
Cast WM to see your Mushrooms.
Type in /move to enable MoveAnything mod and type in "totem" in search field
Select the mover for Shaman Totem Timers and move the frame with your 3 mushrooms wherever you want it.
Deselect mover when done.
Log out and re-enable your unit frame mod.
Wa-la and done.

I just find this useful to ensure that all 3 Mushrooms did in fact get planted before hitting Detonate and it's been bothering me not having the view. Posting here in case this was bothering anyone else.

What about a bar mod that has totem frames, like Bartender?
What about a bar mod that has totem frames, like Bartender?

Bartender doesn't have totem frames, it has a totem bar for placement. The unit frame mod I have, Pitbull, has a great totem timer module. Can't speak for others though. I may try playing with some lua tonight to see if I can whip something up for WM (and if I do I'll release it on WoWI or something).
Zene over at MMO/EJ helped me take this one step further and do it in Power Auras like I originally wanted to but couldn't figure out . . .

==========================
"I tried this and it worked well but it also gave me an idea to try something else. I know that Power Auras is a bit more flexible and has some totem support but with a bit of testing you can quickly see that it does NOT properly update totem events for Moonkins during combat. The power auras only trigger when I go into or leave combat despite the "In Combat" flag being unchecked.

That being said, I opened up the LUA files and I have it working as far as I can tell. Essentially, you update one piece of code in the PowerAurasEvents.lua file.

In the function:

function PowaAuras:PLAYER_TOTEM_UPDATE(...)

there is one line:

if (self.playerclass=="SHAMAN") then

that you modify to:

if (self.playerclass=="SHAMAN" or self.playerclass=="DRUID") then

As far as setting up the Power Aura, you set the Activation By to "Totems" and in the field below it you use the value 3. This means, once the 3rd mushroom is present it will activate the aura. For shamans this stands for Water totems but it works for a moonkins purposes here. I can't post links but you can see an example of the setup here: i.imgur.com/Ko0Hx.jpg

That being said, if you want to have different states you would have 3 different auras, each one having different values "1" for one mushroom being up (or the first slot of the totem bars) "2" for the second mushroom being up and "3" for all 3 being up.

EDIT: One thing I have noticed is that it doesn't seem to update the mushroom status if you have nothing selected or friendly targets selected. There is probably more to updating PowerAuras than just that one section but for now, it will suit my purposes in a raid environment. Perhaps someone with a bit more LUA experience can help fill in the blanks.
"
==========================

Many thanks to Zene as it's far more customizable in power auras and I have it setup now exactly as I wanted it.
I've been having trouble doing DPS recently, I had broke 15k one night but since then I haven't been able to touch it. Could somebody point out if something is wrong with my general rotation?

Generally I use Heart of Ignacious on cooldown.

Start with Insect Swarm, then Moonfire, generally use Force of Nature and Starfall on cooldown (I realize that should be lunar eclipse probably), and just spam wrath/starfire and starsurge on cooldown. I'm having trouble breaking 12.5k with this rotation, and I feel like I was doing large amounts more before. I realize we took a 5% damage nerf but it shouldn't be that huge, should it?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/bonechewer/gwarph/simple is my gear, I understand the bracers are the wrong choice but I haven't gotten the money for anything better yet. Would something like timing the Heart of Ignacious to only go off during eclipses increase my damage by much? I dunno, for the gear I have 12.5k just seems a little low.
Heroic Omnotron now posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyHvzfLdKHc
02/13/2011 6:38 PMPosted by Eluial
Is anyone else seeing an eclipse bar bug where you are always put at full neutral? Whenever I die, my arrow goes back to 0 and *looks* like it has a direction, but I can make it go in the opposite direction by casting the wrong spell. I noticed this cause I was pointing at lunar, and I cast a SS and it went the wrong way. Now I've been testing it every time. Sometimes, it doesn't even reset its direction once I proc an eclipse, either. It will still be neutral, and SS will sometimes cause me to backtrack...

Yes. It's quite confusing. Drove me nuts, tonight!
Isnt there a macro for the engineering : Spring Synapses like where u bind it to IS or something. Cant seem to find that macro.
02/17/2011 11:28 AMPosted by Taannerz
Isnt there a macro for the engineering : Spring Synapses like where u bind it to IS or something. Cant seem to find that macro.

Should just be something like
#showtooltip Insect Swarm
/use Spring Synapses (or whatever the official name of the tinker is)
/cast Insect Swarm

There's also a script you can find online to put in there to disable the UI error "you cannot use that item yet" or whatever it would say when it's on CD. You might also be able to just do /use 7 (where 7 is the slot # for gloves, I believe). The important bit is just to make sure the /use comes before your /cast insect swarm.
I've been having trouble doing DPS recently, I had broke 15k one night but since then I haven't been able to touch it. Could somebody point out if something is wrong with my general rotation?

Generally I use Heart of Ignacious on cooldown.

Start with Insect Swarm, then Moonfire, generally use Force of Nature and Starfall on cooldown (I realize that should be lunar eclipse probably), and just spam wrath/starfire and starsurge on cooldown. I'm having trouble breaking 12.5k with this rotation, and I feel like I was doing large amounts more before. I realize we took a 5% damage nerf but it shouldn't be that huge, should it?

<a href="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/bonechewer/gwarph/simple">http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/bonechewer/gwarph/simple</a> is my gear, I understand the bracers are the wrong choice but I haven't gotten the money for anything better yet. Would something like timing the Heart of Ignacious to only go off during eclipses increase my damage by much? I dunno, for the gear I have 12.5k just seems a little low.

Well, first, are you talking single target, like a fight like algoloth, or something else? Last night I was in BH (granted with a pretty fail group that didn't end up killing him because I was doing 22% of the total damage) and peaked at a little over 15k. I wasn't doing things perfectly, I was typing in chat for dispells, and I even popped a tranq, so that lowered things a bit (I also had the wrong glyphs >.>) but I'd say you should be hitting 15k single target if you do things right. Your gear is slightly worse than mine.

As for fixes, for one, you're about 1% under the hit cap. That's fairly significant and should be fixed ASAP. My recommendation would be to go ahead and load yourself up into chardev (www.chardev.org/?c) and play around with your gems and reforging. It might be to your advantage to actually use a purified in your gloves and pants, even though the sockets aren't that great. But you should definitely be able to get capped just through reforging. Try following the reforging guidelines found here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/981608288#5 (toward the middle-bottom of the page), and then going to the how to get hit capped section a bit further down that same page.

Some other tips: definitely save your starfall for lunar eclipse when it's feasible to do so (not every fight will allow this). Macro your HoI to insect swarm, with a modifier to turn it off so you don't waste the CD at the very beginning of the fight. Enchant your boots with a run speed enchant so you lose less DPS time on movement fights.

Finally, one last thing: I noticed the majority of your items are either haste/crit or spirit/crit items. I know that we're all slaves to the RNG monster when it comes to drops, but, depending on how your guild does loot, it may be to your advantage to pass on items like that in the hopes that you'll get a chance at the better itemized items (haste/spirit or haste/mastery). Just something to think about.
Calcythorn!

I was wondering if you had an answer or could obtain an answer to this post in the EJ balance thread that went unanswered:

http://elitistjerks.com/f73/t110353-%5Bbalance%5D_cataclysm_release_updated_4_0_6_a/p14/#post1870611

I suppose I should just go ahead an make an account for myself there, but meh...
I'm quite ashamed of myself for last night, when I looked at my stats and saw I was 1% under the hit cap I wanted to cry. I caught it since then and have fixed it (I forgot to reforge my trinket), and had been doing 13k dps last night so hopefully I'll be doing okay. I'm mostly talking about single target fights (last night we were doing Chimaeron), as it's hard to judge dps on other fights that require more switching around.

We'll see what I can do though. I really would like to move away from a lot of the crit gear, I should look up what drops in what heroics and see what blues I can replace as it is.
Well don't forget that when chim hits you with his blob o'goo, he also drops your hit temporarily. That fight, despite it being mostly a turret fight, is still pretty brutal on casters.