New MacBook Air & WoW

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
I figured I would post this as I was looking for information like this a few weeks ago.

TL:DR – The base model MacBook Air can run WoW at 1440x900 on “Good” at about 30fps no problem.

As many of you tech geeks likely know, Apple released a new version of their MacBok Air line a few weeks ago. The main difference between these laptops and a normal laptop is:

1. Its stupidly thin, small and the battery lasts a long time
2. It uses a custom built super fast solid state drive

I was in the market for awhile for a new laptop and everyone I talked with said go mac (I’ve never owned a mac before, always been a PC). So I went and picked up a MacBook Pro 15’’ Corei5, 4GB of ram, etc….LOVED the design and usability of it but with the release of the MacBook Air it just seemed like a better deal for what I wanted it for so I took the Pro back and bough the base model MacBook Air 13’’ (Core2Duo 1.8ghz with 2GB of ram).

For fun, I thought it would be a laugh to install WoW on it and see how poorly it ran…I mean….2GB of ram…core 2 duo…..I was guessing around 5-10 fps. With the new launcher (OMG I LOVE YOU) you can boot WoW after only about 200mb downloaded so I figured trying it would only take like 10-15 minutes.

What I found blew me away…..not only does the new MacBook Air run World of Warcraft….it runs it extremely well. By default the game boots with its graphic settings set to “Good” at a native screen resolution of 1440 x 900 and looks amazing. I found on average I have the following frame rates:

Dalaran: 20-30fps with an all time low of 14 and an all time high of 60 (V-Sync on). This is completely dependent on the amount of people.
Open world: 40-60fps
Battlegrounds: 30-40fps

I found I sit around 30fps in a battleground fight and I have no problem jumping into big battles in AV.

Overall the battery lasts about 3 hours playing WoW from full to dead, as long as you want if plugged in.

The only issue I found was the laptop gets pretty hot (the chipset got up to about 90 degrees after a few minutes) but I found the heat source is very centralized to a specific area on the laptop and a simple $20 cooling pad keeps her running at about 75-80 degrees even after 3 hours.

All in all, it’s an amazing machine and I love it
I've been curious about how they'd run WoW since they were announced. Haven't seen anything online about it till this post though.

Doesn't mean I'm gonna run out and pick one up, but I appreciate the info!

Thanks!!
No problem :)

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll see what I can do to answer them.

One additional thing I remember that I did post was, I checked the ram/CPU usage while running WoW.

I found that about 60% of the CPU is used and 65% of the ram is used with no mods enabled, so even on the 2GB model you have about 600mb of ram to play with should you want to have a browser open and some mods running.
I held one of those. I kept thinking that I would snap it in half.
I held one of those. I kept thinking that I would snap it in half.

I have to say, that was a concern of mine as well but I find that it's very well built and doesn't bend or twist at all.

I'm going to be installing a bunch of mods tonight as well as running vent to see how well it preforms.

I'll report back!

With the new launcher (OMG I LOVE YOU) you can boot WoW after only about 200mb downloaded so I figured trying it would only take like 10-15 minutes.

This is why your only running half the game because it not all downloaded.
Macbook Air, it can fit in a file folder but it can't run Minecraft. /srsface
You are definitely lying.

It can't run WoW like that.

The battery lasts like 10 minutes, and the internals are going to wear out in probably 3-4 months.

Also, what troll said. If it is a new computer, it should be able to run WoW better than at O.K settings. I bought a laptop (non-mac) and it can run WoW at high settings with pretty decent fps, I can raid with it etc, And it didn't cost me 1000 dollars.

And if money isn't a problem for you, then buy a high end gaming/programming pc, or make your own. Don't buy Apple products.
http://thenextweb.com/apple/files/2010/09/mac01.jpg

Charging so much extra money for a brand name is ridiculous. Good thing I never bought into the hype and built my own PC.
You are definitely lying.

It can't run WoW like that.

The battery lasts like 10 minutes, and the internals are going to wear out in probably 3-4 months.

Also, what troll said. If it is a new computer, it should be able to run WoW better than at O.K settings. I bought a laptop (non-mac) and it can run WoW at high settings with pretty decent fps, I can raid with it etc, And it didn't cost me 1000 dollars.

And if money isn't a problem for you, then buy a high end gaming/programming pc, or make your own. Don't buy Apple products.

Give me a bit, I'll post a video of it running with a battery clock showing 3 hours.

The internals are under warranty for 3 years, so i'm not too concerned with them breaking.

The high cost comes from the two reasons I outlined, in the laptop world smaller is more expensive and it has an ultra fast custom SSD.

Difference is, your laptop will need replacing in a year, the macbook will need replacing in 5. and I'd love to see a sub $1000 laptop run WoW at high settings and 60fps.
Macbook Air, it can fit in a file folder but it can't run Minecraft. /srsface

It runs minecraft just fine :)
While I'm not a fan of Dell, the Alienware MX11 came out months and months ago at $1,000 and while it isn't nearly as light (I think it is around 4.5 lbs), it will do everything the Mac does and then some. The weight difference is a big deal to some people, but I don't understand how a few pounds can make that big of a difference in your backpack.

And before anyone says it, we all know Alienware makes overpriced %%*#.
I actually was going to order a dell, but there was a problem with my account when I tried to make it.

The process of talking with CSS over the phone make me vow to never EVER buy a dell.

You're not just paying for size, you're also paying for speed and long lasting. Outside of games, with the graphics chip turned off it gets a battery life of about 10 hours running a number of apps with Wi-Fi on.

You also can't believe a lot of the crap that is outlined about mac hardware. I'm a huge PC fan, have built myself a number of them over the years, the latest a few weeks ago (Core i7, 12GB of ram, SLI 260GTX), cost me about $1600. This macbook cost me $1500.

Sure the specs aren't anywhere near as good, but the difference is everything works so well together. It boots up in 10 seconds, restarts in 5 and exits sleep mode instantly. I plugged in my printer/scanner last night and it instantly worked, didn't have to do anything unlike my PC which doesn't have windows 7 drivers for the printer. Everything just seems so much easier....

Granted I still love my PC, I'll forever hold true to Mac for laptops. I didn't buy this for games, I bought it as a super light, super thin, super long lasting fast pick up and go laptop. The fact that I can run WoW so well is just a bonus.

Video rendering atm, will post in a few :)