New MacBook Air & WoW

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5
Thanks for posting this. I wasn't sure if the MBA could run WoW decently. I'm replacing my laptop and was thinking about the MBA. And yes to the anti-Mac folk, I have a PC as my main machine to play WoW but my Mac is my primary machine for email and what not.
Thanks for the post, shame all these turn into pissing contest.
I just got one of these for a replacement for my old black macbook (which still runs wow decently after many years, for my play style anyway).

People need to ultimately realize that many of us use our computers for a lot more than just gaming and that other factors sometimes take precedence over gaming specs. Do i need 16gb of ram to telnet into a clients router at the drop of a hat...no. Do i need to run a super high end graphics card to make a website update, not at all, or do I need to run terminal services at 60fps, probably not. Do i need it to be portable and reliable, yes absolutely.

In the 4 years I've had this macbook it has never once let me down. Mind you I have gone though dozens of other laptops of every color and flavor (even lenovo, lenovo I order 100s of their desktops every year because of how awesome and bullet proof they are) all which needed replacement after less than a year or rendered itself completely useless in an emergency.

Simply put for my application Macs win in my book, which is why myself and the rest of my department manage over 30 windows servers with them.

The kids these days need to realize specs aren't everything, I'm glad it's working out for you and I'm sure it'll work just fine for me. Yes I do have a big expensive box at home but you are all forgetting what laptops are made for.

But I'm certain this is little more than flame bait for the closet PC builder spec monkeys working at the big box store or in accounting.

12/02/2010 5:16 AMPosted by Spurn
Interesting, so the MacBook air runs wow about as effectively as my cousin's $400 Walmart computer.
'

Yup. Only his will run 10x longer only a computer that weighs half as much and is 3x as strong. Walmart! LMAO! Let me guess. Your cousin weighs 150x as much as the MBA?
Mac Fails, Your spending that much just because you want it to be thin and and stuff?
HP ENVY's are exactly like that to, and Come with better graphics...

Not to mention DV series are even cheaper.

I bought an Asus laptop, Yes it's Aluminnum
It has a core i3 2.4ghz Dual core and 4 GB DDR3 ram with 1GB Radeon 5650
I Have been running World of warcraft on High-ultra Ever Since Well abovd 30 FPS most of the time.

Macs are not for gaming, the hardware is not drawn to that, it is drawn to a completely different purpose such as Innovating Programming and Applications as well as video editing and Graphics.
U will Spend uttery thousands more then you have to do get a Mac to Run games including WoW on very high settings, especially at the Resolution u speak of.

And right now looking at over 2000$
Same goes for Mac All in ones and towers.

If you'd like a good suggestion here's 1
Dell XPS (some can get a little over 1k but the hardware is much worth what u pay)
Alienware M11x, the base model can Run World of warcraft On High settings at 1366x768, and probly Ultra in some situations, as well as many other titles, and it has a built in switchable Intel HD graphics device, to go from 4 Hours of gaming on the Nvidia side, to 6-8 Hours of regular useage Alone (not gaming). It's only disadvantage it's a 11.6 Inch computer.

Gateway NV59 Series, 5650 1GB models do well (I own one)
their not the best looking laptops, but their Beautifully HD and LED Fit, have tons of USB ports and HDMI, and good hardware, and excellent price, as well as great warranty.
Author was only trying to say wow runs on mac air and you guys went off topic to bash mac. I found the comment v useful as i may sell of my older MBP for the Air.

I own a Asus gaming PC rig (i7 GTX 460M), Macbook Pro and a custom built desktop PC. IMO there is no comparison to the MBP when it comes to surfing, graphics editing etc, built and design. Warranty wise, Apple is also top notch. I accidently dropped my MBP resulting the screen hinges to come apart and they replaced the entire screen without even question. Try doing that with a Dell or a Sony. Its been 2 years now, the aluminium case still looks perfect and OSX is still booting up like lightning.

My gaming rigs cost me more than my MBP but id never use it outside gaming when there is a Mac in existence.
Hi need some help here i got a macbook air base 13 inch late 2010 model, only able to get about 5 to 9 fps on good, am doing about 20fps avg with all lowest setting except for view distance set at fair, is this normal? Seems pretty poor compared to last year macbook pro base model with same video card.
Do people really go to threads 2 months old to necro them, have them fall into the dust, only to have people come back and necro them again 2 and a half months later?

Why are people looking that far back?
Hi all, turns out the gpu in my macbook air 2010 13 inch base model was not working as intended, a quick reinstall of mac os bought it back up and am doing 30fps with default good settings now. thanks.
30 FPS on "good" for a brand new computer that cost over 1k?

WHOAAAAAA!

People really don't get it.

The OP didn't buy a Macbook Air exclusively to run WoW... he wanted an ultraportable laptop (~2lbs and stupidly thin) that might be able to handle a little WoW on the side. Yes, he could have bought one of those silly 17" 900lb, 2minute battery gaming laptops, but that's not what he wanted. It's all about the form factor.

Might wanna look a bit more closely than shouting "LOLZ LOLZ MAKSZ ARE T3H SUXX0RZ, LOOK AT MY 1337 $10 TOWER ON ITS SIDE WITH AN LCD STUCK ON" every time Apple is mentioned.

I was curious, I started looking for the Asus laptop you mentioned.

The best I could find was the UL80Jt, but the mobility specs dont compare really. What was the ASUS model laptop you were referring to? (Update, I think the 13" Macbook Air is the comparison).

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Superior_Mobility/UL80Jt/
33.0 x 24.0 x 1.40 - 2.68 cm (WxDxH)
1.90 kg (with 6 cell battery)
2.10 kg (with 8 cell battery)

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs.html
Height: 0.11-0.68 inch (0.3-1.7 cm)
Width: 11.8 inches (29.95 cm)
Depth: 7.56 inches (19.2 cm)
Weight: 2.3 pounds (1.06 kg)

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/specs-13inch.html
Height: 0.11-0.68 inch (0.3-1.7 cm)
Width: 12.8 inches (32.5 cm)
Depth: 8.94 inches (22.7 cm)
Weight: 2.9 pounds (1.32 kg)1

And once again, another thread has descended into a bashing thread.
"I just bought a Rolex."
"LOL U PAID $6000 FOR A WATCH THAT TELLS TIEM AT THE SAME SPEED AS MY $35 CASIO????? LULZ"

"I just moved into a beautiful new condo in the city."

"Your condo fails. You paid $600,000 for a 3-bedroom condo downtown, when you could've spent $325,000 for the same condo in the suburbs, or $175,000 for the same condo in the ghetto. All of the condos keep you just as dry when it's raining, and all of them have stoves, toilets, and are cable-ready."

"I love my new Benz E350 4MATIC."
"$50k for 268hp and 6.3sec 0-60? You're stupid. My 2004 Nissan Altima 3.5SE has 245hp and the same 6.3sec 0-60, and it cost $23k new. So you paid $27k extra for AWD and 23hp that don't do anything. GG."