A reason to go on?

World’s End Tavern: Role-play and Fan Fiction
I have always prided myself on having a back story for my characters as well as a reason/reasons they do what they do in game.
With Arthas defeated in ICC, what would a former Ranger have left? I am struggling to find a reason for him to continue fighting the good fight in game. Any suggestions?
Have this be his vacation time, his time to unwind, find something else to occupy him in the world. I'm sure The Shattering will give him a whole slew of reasons to go on.
Unfortunately that is the thing, why go on after the Shattering? We as Blood Elves are really not affected as I have seen thus far. We have our Sunwell back, Arthas is dead, and Silvermoon untouched by Deathwing.
Because Deathwing threatens to consume the whole world in madness and fire?
I suppose. Yet as a Blood elf lore we could care less as long as we are not directly affected.
I might be able to work with that though.
Killing Arthas wasn't the closure you were seeking. You're left wondering 'what now' after dreaming about having something you couldn't for so long. Opened up to the realisation that it's an endless cycle.
Why does that make me personally want to crawl into a bottle lol.
Ty guys btw for the help.
There's the whole the grand magister has been pulling your strings and slowly subverting you. You want revenge and you wanna kick twilight cult ass?
Whoops accidentally double posted.
Sorrowrunner, you are a genius.
Any other ideas are appreciated as well though.
Your race is nearly extinct. Your homeland is still in ruins. The trolls and errant Scourge still pose a threat. Now, on top of that, the elements are wreaking havoc across the world. How are you having trouble finding purpose with all that's going on?
Not to mention there's the old standby: You want MORE. Maybe you feel that after all your race has been through, that the Blood Elves deserve more than just a little corner of the continent. Maybe you want to simply improve the quality of life for your kind. Maybe with the immediate "problems at home" resolved, you wish to strengthen your kind's reputation with your Allies in the Horde by helping fight their battles. Maybe you still hold a grudge against the Humans due to the actions of Garithos and simply wish to sunder more manflesh beneath your blades. There's plenty of motivation to be found.

And if all else fails, have this BE your motivation; maybe your elf is literally trying to find a reason to go on. Sometimes the best journeys have no set destination.
Have Deathwing nuke your character's doll collection as he flies by. As a Blood Elf, I'm assuming he has one.
Isn't a rangers whole purpose in life to travel the world lending a hand and vanquishing evil?

Evil is not dead with Arthas gone.
Not to mention there's the old standby: You want MORE. Maybe you feel that after all your race has been through, that the Blood Elves deserve more than just a little corner of the continent. Maybe you want to simply improve the quality of life for your kind. Maybe with the immediate "problems at home" resolved, you wish to strengthen your kind's reputation with your Allies in the Horde by helping fight their battles. Maybe you still hold a grudge against the Humans due to the actions of Garithos and simply wish to sunder more manflesh beneath your blades. There's plenty of motivation to be found.

And if all else fails, have this BE your motivation; maybe your elf is literally trying to find a reason to go on. Sometimes the best journeys have no set destination.

Your beard is huge. O.O
I'll agree when someone says that simply because Arthas is dead, doesn't mean his threat is over. There is a new Lich King, and while he isn't really a threat from all that's said and done, there are still groups of scourge that need cleaned up. Your homeland is still in ruins and you've got trolls crawling all over the place! Those dastardly, barbaric things.

On top of this... despite the Sunwell being cleansed, there are still people in your race that are addicted to the Fel Energies and likely need help. Furthermore, the wretched still roam over your lands.. your city is still in ruins, and probably all the earthquakes and tremors are not helping. Cultists are seen everywhere preaching the end of the world...

And then there is the whole fact that your race is bordering on extinct. His drive could simply be that... now things have calmed down as much as they have been able to in a grand amount of time.... and there's a certain barmaid down at the Wayfarers rest that keeps giving you those glowy-green bedroom eyes.. -brow waggle-
Actually, I think you've grasped a theme with your original post.

When someone has sought justice/vengeance for so long and known only war, how do they return?

Investigate the "Refusal of Return" concept of the Hero's Journey.

I think they did an excellent job of phrasing it in the Return of the King movie:
"How do you pick up the threads of an old life? How do you go on... when in your heart you begin to understand... there is no going back? There are some things that time cannot mend... some hurts that go too deep... that have taken hold."
Rise up and declare civil war! The Blood Elves need their own faction anyway.

I think some Faction re-alignment in the Cataclysm would be awesome. Worgen/Goblins/Blood Elves vs. Humans/Dwarves/Gnomes vs. Night Elves/Tauren vs. Orcs/Trolls.

Or something like that. Imagine how awesome that'd be though. A total refitting of the world.
Rise up and declare civil war! The Blood Elves need their own faction anyway.

I think some Faction re-alignment in the Cataclysm would be awesome. Worgen/Goblins/Blood Elves vs. Humans/Dwarves/Gnomes vs. Night Elves/Tauren vs. Orcs/Trolls.

Or something like that. Imagine how awesome that'd be though. A total refitting of the world.
It would need a WoW2 though. -.-

Better division-

Orcs, Trolls, Tauren, Goblins
Blood Elves, Forsaken, Worgen?, Naga
Night Elves, Draenei, Furlbogs, Highborne?
Humans, Dwarves, Gnomes, High Elves