Multiple Skillups.

Professions
So recently i have been working on my professions for all my alts in preparation for Cataclysm, getting them up to 425 so i can use Cataclysm materials.

First on my agenda was Blacksmithing, and as most of your probably know, it takes alot of bars. These were especially expensive as you would imagine, so to avoid being price gouged i would mine alot of them myself, it was bitter work but i got there in the end.

Next was inscription, again i decided to gather most of my own mats to avoid being gouged, but on the flip side, herbs are more plentiful and with inscription there is less need for specificity, not to mention making glyphs does not require as many herbs as blacksmithing does bars.

But one of the first things i noticed was, that the glyphs i could craft that were orange would give me 3 skillups. Having read up on multiple skillups, apparently only recipes that require more than the usual amount of materials would grant them, so my best guess on why these cheap to make inscription glyphs was to help facilitate quicker leveling.

So my question is, why the hell did no blacksmithing recipes give my multiple skillups?, and has anybody else experience multiple skillups with the other crafting professions whilst leveling them (specifically with non-WotLK recipes)?

Having already leveled it, this really would not affect me too greatly, but it would be nice for aspiring blacksmiths (and other crafters) to suffer less. Heres to hoping they just didn't get around to doing this for all the professions for patch 4.0.1.
I think the reason it was done for inscription is that they increased the material cost for making glyphs in the patch. It used to take 1 ink for most glyphs and now it takes 3 for most everything.
Try making some of the blue or purple items in Blacksmithing or Leatherworking. They certainly should be worth multiple skill ups. Only Inscription has multiple skill-ups and that is quite unfair.
Probally due to inscription getting the newer cata inscription already with 4.01 while Blacksmithing has not as of yet.
I have been stock piling mats on my alts to level up their profs, so, is the skill change not happening until 403a? I tested on enchanting a few days ago, making 5 greens and only getting 1 point out of it.
4.0.3a is on the PTR (and mmo-champion says possibly this coming tuesday), so you could always test it on the PTR.
I'm actually stockpiling materials but NOT leveling any professions until Cata goes live.

I figure that the leveling will be easier or at least more varied when 4.0.3a hits, and people will be leveling new toons so there will be a bigger market for the crafted items.
I think the reason it was done for inscription is that they increased the material cost for making glyphs in the patch. It used to take 1 ink for most glyphs and now it takes 3 for most everything.

Indeed this is the reason. I imagine if smithing or any other profession had the materials for each combine tripled they would receive triple skillups, too.

most professions i did in beta had a +3 or even +5 skill up post 450. Blacksmithing LWing and Enginering for sure.

Indeed this is the reason. I imagine if smithing or any other profession had the materials for each combine tripled they would receive triple skillups, too.

Oh please, three inks instead of one to get a skill up, right up to the maximum skill is not really a big increase. All the increase in mats did was inflate the market prices, so the people buying glyphs are paying for the change, not the scribes.

If you look at professions like tailoring, blacksmithing, leatherworking and enchanting and see what materials are required to even get one skill up after 425, its not even a close comparison with inscription. Not to mention that glyphs typically always sell, while we vendor or DE our crappy greens and blues that we craft one skill point at a time.

I was under the impression that all trade skills are getting updated so that orange recipes will almost always grant 2-3 skill ups if you make them. Is this not the case?
Oh please, three inks instead of one to get a skill up, right up to the maximum skill is not really a big increase.

You must have been dropped on your head as a child to say something so stupid with a straight face. Either that or you live in some strange parallel dimension where 3 is not larger than 1.

I was under the impression that all trade skills are getting updated so that orange recipes will almost always grant 2-3 skill ups if you make them. Is this not the case?

Your impression was wrong. Difficulty has nothing to do with the number of skillups, rare items will give multiple skillups IE blues, purples.

You must have been dropped on your head as a child to say something so stupid with a straight face. Either that or you live in some strange parallel dimension where 3 is not larger than 1.

I never said 3 wasn't larger than 1, I know it is. If you read the rest of the post instead of quoting one line out of context, might help too! I went on to say that the three ink cost is being paid by those buying glyphs, not being eaten by the scribes themselves, so the change doesn't really affect a scribe.

I also have a scribe and know how easy it is to level to 450 AND make over 10k while doing so without breaking a sweat. You will never see a Blacksmith, Enchanter, Tailor, Leatherworker or Enchanter do the same without a temendous amount of work on their part.
Wait... are we talking about live or beta? On beta, My Priest had several multiple options with tailoring. On this character the only multiple skill-up opportunity I had with Alchemy was with the Alchemist's stone.
Wait... are we talking about live or beta? On beta, My Priest had several multiple options with tailoring. On this character the only multiple skill-up opportunity I had with Alchemy was with the Alchemist's stone.

The OP is asking about on live, I was asking about what is happening in Cata.

Thanks for the update and actually providing an answer to my question.