What's with Paladin armor lately?

Paladin
Post Limit:
I like Tyrannical set, Gervious set and T16 the best on paladins, this Xpac.
Not a fan of robes on any melee. Similar discussion going on among Enhancement Shamans (I haven't seen their sets yet, but a robed set must have popped up somewhere -- in no doubt because it fits the other two specs).

As unrealistic as a fantasy game is by definition, I'm a realist when it comes to how things would work in a real-life setting. Fitted robes for any type of melee just doesn't work because of the way it would restrict your movement below the waist. Unless we've discovered the Blessed Light of Elastic. Looks like I'll be wearing the Dark Iron until 6.0 drops.
Transmog if you don't like it. Can't believe people are complaining about this crap.
As unrealistic as a fantasy game is by definition, I'm a realist when it comes to how things would work in a real-life setting. Fitted robes for any type of melee just doesn't work because of the way it would restrict your movement below the waist. Unless we've discovered the Blessed Light of Elastic. Looks like I'll be wearing the Dark Iron until 6.0 drops.

Huh? The very act of strapping metal plates to your legs is going to restrict movement. Most historical plate you'll see has what's essentially a plate mini-skirt around the waist area (http://medievallifestyle.com/images/armor-and-weapons/parts-of-a-suit-of-armor.jpg), in order to protect the gaps needed for the wearer to move their legs.

Most spandex plate pants in this game leave the femoral arteries wide open or just behind what's presumably a light layer of chain. For purposes of defense, the dress with metal plates is likely more practical if you were approaching it from a realism standpoint.
If the skirts cut off about the knee, that would make them kilts, and that's a totally different thing. Kilts aren't form-fitting. They're free-flowing, almost like a schoolgirl's skirt.

The to-the-boots skirts that we see in this game under the guise of "robes" are sheer-fitted down the sides of both legs. Try squatting, crouching or doing a split in one of those things and watch what happens. I'm not even sure you could do a karate-style sick in one (think Blackout Kick). The robe-style armor in this game is designed to mimic a Benedictine monk's-style robe, which is pretty restrictive.

Sure, plate leg armor is restrictive, but it's restrictive due to weight and pure bulk of the plates. You have those issues on robes as well, plus you've got the side-seam issue I'm talking about above. Kilts would actually be battle-accurate; plate robes aren't.

And I can't believe I just got into a discussion about armor fashion. lol.
Yes, the current in-game model skirts would be restrictive. But the textures make it obvious that that's not what they are. Blizzard just can't do anything else with the skirts because they're built directly into the character models. I'm hoping the model updates will include more varieties of skirts (or makes them separate models entirely), but we'll see.
And I can't believe I just got into a discussion about armor fashion. lol.

One of us! One of us! One of us!
Just my two cents: It was mentioned before, but the current character models are a limit for what the artists can or can't design, so the armor skirts would look like robes to some. Seven million people can't have the same opinion.

With that said, I'd like that with the new models that will appear Soon™ we get some more options for the skirts. Like open kilts, similar to the ones worn by the Clone Troopers in Star Wars. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kama
My only two peeves are "As a male character, I understand that the Scotish wear kilts, but why on earth would I wear something that looks like a dress?" and "Who the hell though a plate dress would scare off an enemy!?" Then again, you never know...
I think all paladin armour should be reflective enough that the enemy sees his reflection just before he's judged. $