#8 Pre-Wipe Druid Main, Here to Answer Q's

If anybody has any questions about Druids feel free to ask! My constructed stats are probably about 120 wins and 20-30 losses (doesn't show losses in beta but I believe my win % was about 85 or so). I only play Druid and find them to be extremely strong and versatile.
Edited by Azureon on 10/2/2013 4:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Boxers or briefs?
Reply Quote
10/02/2013 05:24 PMPosted by Serejai
Boxers or briefs?

Boxers! Briefs are uncomfortable.
Reply Quote
boob man or butt man?
Edited by Junkbarman on 10/2/2013 7:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
What do you think of the changes the druids got recently.
Reply Quote
10/02/2013 07:13 PMPosted by Junkbarman
boob man or butt man?

Sorry I hadn't checked this thread in a bit, but I'd say you always gotta put it in da butt.
Reply Quote
10/03/2013 10:19 AMPosted by BeefBurrito
What do you think of the changes the druids got recently.

A serious question? What have the blizzard forums come to! But to answer your question I think Druids are still a very top class that can deal with many situations. Here are the list of changes and my thoughts:

1. Wrath can no longer be cast on heroes.

In the 140-ish total games I've played, I've never once cast wrath on a hero. This spell is used almost entirely for early game removal of the 3 health minions you can't deal with (pumped flesh eating ghoul, questing adventurer, northshire cleric, pumped mana wyrm, etc.). I only use the 1 cost + draw a card when I have spellpower minions out, otherwise the spell is a crappier version of the old shiv (on par with the new crappy shiv). I guess a small nerf but really doesn't affect Druids heavily.

2. Cenarius costs 9 (up from 8).

Unnecessary in my opinion. I will probably remove him from my deck, he was already iffy to begin with. He is a decent amount of beef but his only special power gets removed by pretty much any AOE in game. The only reason I included him is because its nice to transition from a 7 cost Ancient of Lore to an 8 cost Cenarius. With a gap turn in between you lose that momentum and he is probably would replacing with a different beefy 8 drop like Ragnaros (or possibly an Ironbark Protector). At 9 drop you can use Ysera who is significantly better than Cenarius. Most class legendaries seem to be pretty bad though, so although it is a nerf to Druids it is pretty fair. Right now I'd say Archmage Antonidas and Prophet Velen are probably the most useable class legendaries since Tirion gets silenced every time, VanCleef lost stealth, and the rest are garbage.

3. Starfall can now only hit minions.

Minor nerf to Starfall, only really affects you when you are trying to finish off the game. But since druids primarily clear first, finish second, it is usually late game before you go for the final push. All this means is you should start Starfalling the minions and save Starfires for the hero (before it was interchangeable which you wanted to use). Granted that will sometimes make less efficient plays (for instance on turn 6 if you need to starfall or starfire a minion, you should starfall it for 5 and have 1 useless mana whereas you could have starfired for 6 and drawn a card). Overall the 2nd biggest nerf for Druids, but not bad.

4. Ancient of Lore’s Healing option now only restores 5 Health. (down from 8)

This nerf makes me sad, but it is understandable. Druid's biggest problem is aggro decks. If a deck hits late game, we have plenty of beefy creatures and good silences/removals to the point where only a Priest/Mage ever really worry me at all. In my deck i have 2 healing touches and 2 ancient of lores, and that total of 32 healing was immensely useful. I can't tell you how many rogue and murloc rush decks just fizzle out against all that healing. I've won plenty of games at below 10 hp after casting all 4 of these spells/creatures which means my opponent did 32 + 20 = 52 or more damage to me, not even including all the armor from the Druid passive they burned through. This nerf is definitely the biggest one, but Ancient of Lore is still an autoinclude in my opinion due to the flexibility to card draw or heal (against something like a priest you can get card advantage, against a rogue you can heal out of kill range and still have a beefy creature that they have to deal with).

5. Savagery costs 1 (down from 3), and must target a single minion.

Just checked that this is now Single Target removal, and will probably not use it. Early game it will cost 3 mana to do 2 (hero power + Savagery), or 2 cards and 2 mana to do 4 (claw + savagery). Late game it will cost 5 mana and 2 cards to do 8 (savagery + bite), but probably would only need a Starfall or Starfire. IMO it is now situational at best, and I will probably cut it entirely.
Edited by Azureon on 10/3/2013 12:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I have lots of questions!

There are two styles of druid deck that I really enjoy, and I'm curious if you have a good list for them. I never liked the spellpower focused druid deck and it seems like that has been hit the hardest by druid nerfs anyway.

1) Minions that draw or make token minions buffed up with Power of the Wild/Savage Roar
The old list included cards like Razorfen Hunter, Novice Engineer, Dragonling Mechanic, Gnomish Inventor... Buffed up by Power of the Wild/Savage Roar/Cenarius with assists from possibly Cult Master and Force of Nature. What do you think of this deck and do you have a good list?

2) Mana ramp spells (Wild Growth, Innervate, Nourish) and big creatures. Lots of legendaries and of course Ancient of Lore. This deck is very difficult to build because it's hard to fit in all the legendaries you want, which big minions, how much direct damage... I think this deck has the most potential but it's the hardest to tune because you have so many options.

Which legendaries do you think are the best to grab first for druid players? I agree that Cenarius is looking iffy, even Stormwind Champ is probably better for the minion/buff deck. I made Hogger, Ysera, Sylvanas and Nat Pagle with my dust.

I am leaning a lot more towards minions the more I tune my deck. I think the perfect deck would be a very nice curve with the very best minions, and minimal direct damage.
Reply Quote

1) Minions that draw or make token minions buffed up with Power of the Wild/Savage Roar
The old list included cards like Razorfen Hunter, Novice Engineer, Dragonling Mechanic, Gnomish Inventor... Buffed up by Power of the Wild/Savage Roar/Cenarius with assists from possibly Cult Master and Force of Nature. What do you think of this deck and do you have a good list?

Decks like these can be very strong, but are much better with priests (better minion buffs) or shaman (hero power helps spam the board, Bloodlust is a better version of Savage Roar). Not a fan of them for Druid.

2) Mana ramp spells (Wild Growth, Innervate, Nourish) and big creatures. Lots of legendaries and of course Ancient of Lore. This deck is very difficult to build because it's hard to fit in all the legendaries you want, which big minions, how much direct damage... I think this deck has the most potential but it's the hardest to tune because you have so many options.

This one has potential, but seems a bit risky IMO. To reach the top of the hidden Elo ladder you need to be winning 85%-90% of your games in 3 star master, and decks like this are too likely to screw you with your opening hand (either all mana ramps with no creatures or all creatures with no mana ramps). Even if this only happens 10% of your games, that basically means you have to win EVERY game you dont get screwed in your opening hand which is just not reliable enough.

10/03/2013 09:57 PMPosted by kickascii
Which legendaries do you think are the best to grab first for druid players? I agree that Cenarius is looking iffy, even Stormwind Champ is probably better for the minion/buff deck. I made Hogger, Ysera, Sylvanas and Nat Pagle with my dust.

I currently used only Cenarius and I'll be cutting him. Bloodmage Thalnos is the only legendary I would consider in my current druid deck, which is Druid control. 2x Bite, 2x Claw, 2x Wrath, 2x Stallfall, 2x Starfire, 2x Healing Touch, 2x Swipe 2x Ancient of Lore, 2x Keeper of the Grove, 2x Spellbreaker, 1x Gadgetzan Auctioneer is a good core, and then fill in around it as desired. Spellpower is still very useful because it makes Swipe a very strong board clear (lots of 2 health minions or killing a 5 health minion while board clearing is great).

The druid control is, IMO, by far the best druid deck. You have so many win conditions and answers its insane (can deal with almost any threat with hero power or a spell that trades 1 for 1 if not better). You have tons of healing (pre-nerf 32 healing, post-nerf 26 healing) plus whatever you get in armor from hero power, PLUS 12 from Bite/Claw which isnt always used up (there are some decent creatures to bite like the Dalarian Spellmage that is a 1/4 so you trade 1 for 1 in cards but heal 3 health). I've won a number of games (probably 15% or so) based on Fatigue alone since I have superior healing and can stall the game out.
Edited by Azureon on 10/4/2013 3:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
So savagery was op, i get it, but now they made is USELESS. very much under powered now. the cost should be 0 if it's single target.

My deck relied on board removal and savagery was a part of that, so my question is, what should i replace that with now?

Claw x2
Naturalize x1
Savagery x2
Leper Gnome x2
Wrath x2
Savage Roar x2
Wolfrider x2
Bite x2
Swipe x2
Keeper of the Grove x2
Nourish x2
Starfall x2
Druid of the Claw x2
Force of Nature x2
Argent Commander x2
Reckless Rocketeer x1
Reply Quote
How are you filling around your Control Core atm?
Reply Quote
10/04/2013 05:29 PMPosted by Junkbarman
So savagery was op, i get it, but now they made is USELESS. very much under powered now. the cost should be 0 if it's single target.

Even at 0 cost it pretty much sucks. Druids dont have a good way to pump their hero dmg except with bite (using savagery to take out a 1 health unit is almost always redundant with the hero power, this would only have a very niche use if you were low on health and they had something like a ragnaros out that had been damaged to an 8/1). Card is absolutely "do not use" material.

10/04/2013 05:29 PMPosted by Junkbarman
My deck relied on board removal and savagery was a part of that, so my question is, what should i replace that with now?

Your deck sees very aggro, which can be a good thing. Although I don't use them, Argent Commander is a good card and I can see why you included it. However you do have some cards that seem suboptimal to me. Leper Gnome, for instance, is too aggro for a druid control. I would cut those two for 2 Kobold Geomancers, which then gives your starfalls and bites the extra kick to take out some of the sting from losing Savagery. I would cut the two savageries for two healing touches, as they will help a lot against rogues or token aggro. If you can afford the dust at some point, get two Ancient of Lores for card draw/healing and cut the two Nourishes (similar role, both high mana, except Lore gives you more flexibility and a 5/5 creature they have to deal with).
Reply Quote
10/04/2013 08:50 PMPosted by KungFuHermit
How are you filling around your Control Core atm?

I've been playing exclusively arena since the beta wiped just to build up my card collection again. I got 4000 gold from the $50 i spent on the game, and in Arena if you can get at least 50 gold (pretty much guaranteed these days since 5 wins will get you that and going 5-3 is pretty easy even with a garbage deck) then its worth playing arena over buying a pack.

Once I build my collection I'll be testing some things out, I used to run 1 naturalize and 1 savagery but I think I might actually try 2 naturalizes. Even though it seems like a bad card because it gives 2 cards to the opponent, Druid control is one of the best decks to force the game into the fatigue phase. If you get near there, Naturalize becomes OP because its a 1 cost Assassinate that will then deal damage to your opponent and not give them any cards. Basically a game ender. If they are playing something like the rogue that casts Gadgetzan, then Questing Adventure, then cycles a bunch of cards, then VanCleef, you can naturalize their QA + VanCleef and mill them pretty fast (most rogues combo themselves to about 8-10 cards remaining to draw, so two naturalizes puts them at 4 cards to draw usually fairly early into a game without many threats left after).

I still think Kobold Geomancer and Dalaran Mage are viable and good inclusions in a druid deck. Even though you cant spellpower someone in the face, it makes Swipe and Starfall extremely strong clears. Later in the game its entirely possible to Geo, Geo, Starfall on the same turn which does the same thing as a Flamestrike but leaves you with two decent 2/2s on the board. They can also pump up the "1 dmg + draw" mechanic of Wrath into something decent. I can usually get that part of wrath to hit for 3 and draw me a card, which is tremendous value at a 2 cost.
Edited by Azureon on 10/6/2013 4:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I disagree about the spellpower heavy build, I don't think it's the way to go anymore. The Dalaran mage nerf and 2 of the best nukes not being able to go to the face anymore really knock the wind out of its sails. I still like a Bloodmage Thalnos or maybe Azure Drake but playing the crappy 2/2, 1/3 and 4/4 guys doesn't seem like a great plan.

Naturalize IS a beating, I always had 1 in my druid control deck before the wipe and I considered going to 2. It's so easy to squeeze in late in the game. You can use it to remove a taunt guy the turn you're going to win. You an use it during fatigue turns. More than once I would use it with 10 mana and play Ysera and also naturalize a creature that could have attacked my Ysera.
Edited by kickascii on 10/7/2013 2:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I've been playing a druid as my first class I've focused on and I'm enjoying it.

Do you have a suggested deck setup for someone who is just starting out in the game and has mostly just the standard cards?
Reply Quote
How do you feel about running the 3 cost healer minion instead of the 3 cost heal spell?
Reply Quote
I kinda like the combo Force of Nature + Savage Roar for 12 damage in the face (14 considering your hero attack as well) ... might be a pretty good winning condition.
Do you like it?

I agree to the Farseer ... heal yourself for half (3 instead of 6), BUT you have a 3/3 on the board.
Reply Quote
10/02/2013 04:33 PMPosted by Azureon
If anybody has any questions about Druids feel free to ask!

sent you a friend request ingame
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/10195910321#1

would love some help getting my deck decent. been losing a lot :(
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]