Deck: The Brothers Stormrage

I started this deck out first with the Onyxia I pulled from a pack, but then I noticed that between Innervates and late wild growths, that Illidan worked perfectly for this deck so I crafted one soon after to construct this fairly solid/complete deck list.

My druid deck that has one primary win condition: Swarm the field with Illidan's Flames of Azinoth or Onyxia's Whelps and then savage roars next turn.

Of course the deck can still win by outlasting and playing well, but usually if the opponent does not deal with the swarm, they will lose to the savage roar since it does 21+ damage easily.

Deck List
0 - Innervate X2
2 - Mark of the Wild X2
2 - Power of the Wild X2
2 - Wild Growth X2
2 - Wrath X2
2 - Novice Engineer X2
3 - Savage Roar X2
3 - Dalaran Mage X2
4 - Swipe X2
4 - Keeper of the Grove X2
5 - Nourish X2
5 - Starfall X2
5 - Druid of the Claw X2
6 - Starfire X2
6 - Illidan Stormrage
9 - Onyxia

Card Choice Explanation

The innervates and wild growths are to jump right into mid game units such as druid of the claw from the early game or right into late game units such as Illidan or Onyxia from the mid game. As I said before, Innervate and Wild Growth work very nicely for building up many Flames of Azinoth as well.

If I can't jump right into mid game units, power of the wild, novice engineer, dalaran mage, wrath, and mark of the wild all provide means of sustaining through the early game.

Swipe and Starfall provide the necessary AOE if I failed to stop the opponent from swarming early on and work really well with Dalaran Mage. I did try azure drake, but I found that it was just too costly to take advantage of the spell power and too late to help with the early game. This deck doesn't really have a problem with card advantage so Azure Drakes were taken out.

Savage Roar provides the win condition after swarming the field. It also works very nicely to take out minions with your hero. Additionally I find it very useful against Priests since after using it it say a druid of the claw, it returns right back in the sweet spot of 4 attack to dodge their removal.

Druid of the claw provides the necessary taunt and is a necessary minion for this deck to work. The keeper of the grove is similar by providing easy 2 hp removal or a necessary silence to take care of decks that decide to buff.

Nourish provides a nice way of jumping ahead of the mana curve, but usually it's used to gain more cards to find answers to what the opponent plays.

Finally Starfire is just great removal and is very nice to have if the opponent only has a little HP left.

Other Comments

Some might be thinking: They will just kill Onyxia/Illidan immediately. Yes, but the real threats are all the other units that Onyxia and Illidan provided. Not clearing those units is a bad thing, especially when stacking savage roar and power of the wild's buff effect.

I also found that this deck does really well against priests. They have no direct way of dealing with Druids of the Claw or Keeper of the Grove+Mark of the wild, providing solid board control.

Overall this deck has worked really well for me and is one of the two decks that brought me to 3 star master rank in 42 wins.
Edited by Ace on 10/11/2013 1:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Tried it, and the deck is way WAY too RNG, totally dependent on drawing Innevates and meanwile you get whittled down to nothing by !@#$ty creatures before you can do anything.
Reply Quote
Yea, it starts slow and you have to fight to maintain a reasonable board in the early game with certain opening hands. With the way I play it, there are usually answers there but they just may not be immediate "this-turn" answers. The mulligan at the start is VERY important.
Reply Quote
Update:

I've made significant revisions to this deck while tightening the focus of the deck.

Changes:

-2 Wild Growth - I found that these just weren't working very well and I needed to remove them since I reduced some draw power in the deck.

-2 Starfire
+2 Bite

The main reason for removing this card is because I found Bite and Starfall to just be superior cards. Bite offers armor which is helpful against mage decks that try to burn you down, while starfall provides an AOE alternative. Bite is also 4 mana, so it provides for much earlier board control.

-2 Mark of the Wild
+2 Mark of Nature
Often times I just want to give a minion health and Mark of Nature does a better job. At the same time, Mark of nature provides a great way to get in an additional 4 damage for a reasonable 3 mana cost.

+2 Violet Teacher
+2 Imp Master
-2 Dalaran Mage

Violet Teacher works in a similar way as Illidan but comes out sooner. With the addition of Imp Masters, the game turns into a constant threat of a savage roar swarm. These two minions really help bridge the gap from early game to mid game. Although dalaran mage+swipe is very fun to do, the Dalaran Mages weren't useful beyond that point. The extra minions fill in the spell damage loss nicely.

Updated Deck List

0 - Innervate X2
2 - Power of the Wild X2
2 - Wrath X2
2 - Novice Engineer X2
3 - Mark of Nature X2
3 - Savage Roar X2
3 - Imp Master X2
4 - Bite X2
4 - Swipe X2
4 - Keeper of the Grove X2
4 - Violet Teacher X2
5 - Nourish X2
5 - Starfall X2
5 - Druid of the Claw X2
6 - Illidan Stormrage
9 - Onyxia
Edited by Ace on 11/4/2013 7:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
tried the new deck, with some slight variations made because of lack of repeats of cards, works well. i like it.
Reply Quote
I actually recently built a deck just like this. The idea was ultimate Savage Roar and POTW cheese. Onyxia, Illidan, and Cenarius all bring multiple minions. For you I would take out Bite, and Claw instead, and add Argus somehow.
Reply Quote
03/08/2014 03:31 PMPosted by OlivervanK
tried the new deck, with some slight variations made because of lack of repeats of cards, works well. i like it.

Necro... -.-

Outdated deck now because of nerfs to novice.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]