Tracking

I can't decide whether its a good card or not. I guess its good for those "oh shi I really need a silence/eliminate asap", but most of the time when I use it, it shows me 3 good cards and I realise that no matter what I pick, I will never get the other 2 because they won't go back in my deck. Which is kinda what ruins this card for me.
So as it is, in most cases its a lose-1-mana-for-nothing.
Reply Quote
Tracking isn't really a useful card most of the time. You're essentially spending 1 mana and using a card to get another card. It's rarely, if ever, worth having in your deck.
Reply Quote
As it is, I would not run the card, it just does not seem worth it when I have tried. Would be interesting to see a change to it. It's just too much RNG in it right now.

Perhaps, you pull 3 cards and choose 1 to keep, 1 to discard, and 1 to put back in the deck. That would make it more interesting in my eyes.
Reply Quote
Yeah, I have to agree. The few times I've tried to play with Tracking, I more often than not regretted playing it because I had to discard other useful cards.

On the other hand, having the option to choose is nice.

Maybe I just haven't been very lucky with the RNG. /shrug
Reply Quote
I use it in my SECRETS!! decks and it's won me the game almost every time I've used it. The secret to using it correctly is having it in a deck where you're not afraid to discard a few cards. Yea it sucks losing some good cards but more often than not it gives me a card I can use effectively. I really wish the double discard would get removed or make it something similar to what winINC said. The discard does suck.
Reply Quote
As it is, I would not run the card, it just does not seem worth it when I have tried. Would be interesting to see a change to it. It's just too much RNG in it right now.

Perhaps, you pull 3 cards and choose 1 to keep, 1 to discard, and 1 to put back in the deck. That would make it more interesting in my eyes.

If you're going that route, it should just be 'pick one, the other two go on the bottom of the deck'. But really, unless you have a ridiculous amount of draw you're not going to see the two other cards again.

Tracking is meant to find you the card you need at the time, or give you options as to what situation you want to plan for. Granted, a basic draw card would be better a la Arcane Intellect, but Tracking is good for what it does because it's so cheap. If you didn't discard the other two it would probably cost something like five or six mana (considering Arcane Intellect is 3 for 2 and Sprint is 7 for 4).
Reply Quote
I use tracking to search for the cards I need to win by turn 8. I have a priority list as to which is more important than others, and in some cases the priority shifts if I already have one of the cards in my hand. It lets me pretty reliably get as close to the six cards I want on turn 7-8 without my hand full of stuff I don't want or need. Other draw effects just get you one card closer to maybe having what you want. For one mana, getting what I need quicker by sacrificing 2 cards that aren't as vital is very nice.
Reply Quote
I would suggest that like Kemanoral says, you don't think of tracking as just a way to find a card you need right now. Sure you can use it for that, but its real value is in thinning the deck to get the cards you need for your win conditions.

I play a UTH deck on my hunter and like Kem, I have a priority order to pick from (UTH>Timber>Hawk) IF I don't need an immediate removal (especially explosive trap).

What it does well is hopefully give you a card for the combo or remove cards so that you draw the combo cards faster. Sure you will have times where you are forced to choose between 3 good cards, but with an appropriate priority order and understanding of board state it's not so much of an issue. Same reason I include 2 x Flare in my deck - useful against 3-4 classes but cycles otherwise when I have an odd mana crystal available.
Reply Quote
Why would you include cards in your deck that you want to get rid of?

To me, tracking seems to be a pretty horrible card. Cards shouldn't be discarded. Just returned to your hand. That'd be perfectly fine IMO.
Reply Quote
10/29/2013 06:23 PMPosted by mrwho
Why would you include cards in your deck that you want to get rid of

UTH Combo. Empty your deck to draw it faster.
Reply Quote
Why would you include cards in your deck that you want to get rid of?

To me, tracking seems to be a pretty horrible card. Cards shouldn't be discarded. Just returned to your hand. That'd be perfectly fine IMO.

They are not cards I want to get rid of, but I don't always need some of the cards in the deck each game I play - a 2nd eaglehorn for example.

The concept of cycling through your deck faster to get your win condition cards as soon as possible is a staple of most CCGs. UTH needs 2 things to work - board control and the UTH combo cards. If you fail to get enough of either you lose most of the time. But the deck is more likely to lose if you never draw a UTH card so cards like Tracking help ensure you do.
Reply Quote
I've found tracking to be an ideal turn one play tbh, late game helps get you what you want
Reply Quote
Tracking is for control/UtH only.

But if the card changes for something like check the top 3 cards, get one into your hands and shuffle the rest back.... "Fingers crossed"
Reply Quote
Tracking is an amazing card. It's great turn 1 like someone said, but it's also great all game. It allows for you to have options which is incredibly important. For only one mana you can choose from 3 cards to make your hand ideal for whatever situation you're up against.

i wouldn't run a hunter deck without 2x tracking. I've been playing 3 star master as hunter and it's secured me many games
Reply Quote
Tracking is the same as Graceful Charity in YuGiOh, which is a banned card because of how good it is. It lets you thin your deck, while getting a specific card for your combos or what ever you need for the situation you are in. Deck thinning is an amazing thing in card games!
Reply Quote
If I'm playing against a priest I don't need explosive traps, but I do need explosive and deadly shots. If I'm playing against murlock aggro I need multishots and, explosive traps. Also, often times around turn 7-8 I can look at the board state and see "hey, if I can get an UTH/Dragonhawk/Timberwolf I've got him dead" and being 1 mana tracking can help me close out the games. Tracking lets me find the cards I need when I need them, and potentially ditch cards I know I won't need in the matchup.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/10491169498#1

My deck has 2 Tracking in it. A huge asset to the build.
Reply Quote
Deck thinning is an amazing thing in card games!

How is deck thinning a good thing in hs? You do realise you loose health every turn you don't have any cards, right?
Edited by Rzeznikdrzew on 11/11/2013 6:13 AM PST
Reply Quote
Hi!

11/11/2013 06:11 AMPosted by Rzeznikdrzew
Deck thinning is an amazing thing in card games!

How is deck thinning a good thing in hs? You do realise you loose health every turn you don't have any cards, right?

You realise that in most games you lose the game when you don't have any cards, right? Also this is not an issue really. I'm not sure if i ever have ran trough my entire deck except with extreme situations with double buzzard play. Hunters lack the survivability to go 20+ rounds and enemies usually lack the healing to survive 20+ turns.
Reply Quote
It's like a really bad version of Ponder, from Magic.

The fact that you aren't shuffling the other cards back in is pretty sad. Still, late game it's pretty godlike. You need to find an answer, so you dig. 1 mana to do so isn't too shabby.

It's the turn 1 tracking that always makes me shake my head. You have no info on what card you need to keep... stop doin that :\
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]