Gyll's Aggro Weapon Deck (old thread)

Hi all,

A few days ago I posted the aggressive warrior deck I used to get top 50 before the patch. Since then, I've taken the deck into the post-patch field and found that it needed a few updates (but not too many). I posted the updated guide here.

http://www.hearthhead.com/deck=490/gylls-aggro-weapon-deck-%28updated-for-battle-rage-nerf%29

In the new meta, I no longer think Lorewalker Cho is worth including, which means the deck is now quite cheap to build at only 6 rares & the rest common or basic. The deck was not built to be a budget deck but it's just lucky that it shakes out that way.

Here are the changes I made to the list from the pre-patch list:

-2 Pint-sized Summoner (She was already only good on turn 1/2 & nerf makes her not worth the slot)
-1 Lorewalker Cho (Nerfed attack & less removal-stacked rogue & druid decks, more minion decks since patch, plus we want to play the new Battle Rage)
-2 Scarlet Crusader (Less rogue & druid, more mage since patch)
-1 Spellbreaker (No longer needed with less rogues & Twilight Drake nerfs)

+2 Battle Rage (This card is now too good not to include, it allows you to out-resource the removal-heavy decks that were previously very difficult)
+2 Amani Berserker (Next best 2 drop after Pint-Sized, good against AoE, plays nice with Battle Rage)
+2 Upgrade! (Very efficient card & helps you quickly unload resources after a big Battle Rage, cutting Cho means spells are now fair game)

With the new Battle Rage & the nerfs to druid/rogue, the deck feels stronger than ever. Give it a spin and let me know what you think!
Edited by Gyll on 11/23/2013 10:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
I fooled around with this for a few games, it seems fun and looks like it has potential. I went 5-1, the lone loss coming against a hunter deck that was just able to control the board better than I was.
Reply Quote
I played you like twice in unranked and won then you came back with a vengeance and beat me for four games in a row. Really fast aggressive wins too, it was pretty humiliating.

Props to your deck, it's really nice.
Reply Quote
GGs Brosuke :) When I got you for the 4th time in a row I was like "this poor guy". You got the last laugh though on that 5th game. When did you play me on unranked? I haven't played unranked since the first week.
Reply Quote
I'm pretty sure all the games we played were in unranked.
Reply Quote
I'm definitely queuing for ranked
Reply Quote
I switch back and forth a lot. I'm probably just confused.
Reply Quote
10/11/2013 04:49 PMPosted by Brosuke
I'm pretty sure all the games we played were in unranked.

Ranked and unranked players are in the same pool and can be matched against each other.
Reply Quote
Huh. TIL.
Reply Quote
Love this deck, I don't have the "upgrade" spells yet as i just got in beta. Is slam a good replacement for it?
Reply Quote
Thanks Firenipple :) I haven't used Slam since a very early version but it should work well enough, that slot is pretty flexible.
Edited by Gyll on 10/12/2013 10:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks Gyll. Been having a lot of fun with this one. Things really can get mental with that Frothing Berserker, great to play when you know you're going to trade, and especially if you can keep him behind one of the taunts.

Great deck, for sure.
Reply Quote
Having issues against mage decks, due to how much AOE and CC they can pump out.
Reply Quote
Battle Rage is key against mages, in a lot of matchups I recommend mulliganing Battle Rage but not against mages.

1. Try to hit a Fiery War Axe in the opener, it kills all their creatures
2. Never have more than 3 guys on the field unless you have a very good reason
3. Keep your weapons rolling, constantly doing damage to them with your hero
4. Set up your board for Blizzard at 5
5. Cast a huge Battle Rage after they Blizzard or Cone of Cold
6. Arcanite Reaper & hit them
7. Let them Flamestrike or whatever & finish off your board
8. Warsong Commander into Bloodsail Raider to finish them off

Obviously it varies but following that general script wins me most games vs mages. Their best card against you is actually Water Elemental, it's painful with 6 health but you have to kill it on sight or they can wipe your board & lock down your hero.
Reply Quote
Doesn't work in Diamond 2, excellent win rate in unranked.
Reply Quote
Any specific class that you had trouble with? I play this deck all day in masters 3 and win way more games than I lose
Reply Quote
How important is upgrade for this setup? I dont wanna spend the dust to craft it.
Edited by HerbalTea on 10/13/2013 7:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/13/2013 07:53 PMPosted by HerbalTea
How important is upgrade for this setup? I dont wanna spend the dust to craft it.

Upgrade! is mostly a facilitator for the deck; the extra damage interacts nicely with the pirates, while the durability will generally allow you to dispatch an additional card of your opponent's, maintaining parity. You can also think of it as straight extra damage: 1 Upgrade! is worth minimum 3 damage (the 1/3 weapon), increasing to 5, 6 and 7 damage with Arathi Weaponmaster, Fiery War Axe and Arcanite Reaper.

You should strongly consider gathering the dust for it, but if you decide to forgo it you might instead use Whirlwind for boardclearing/enrage or Leper Gnome for a practically guaranteed 2 damage.
Reply Quote
It should work without it, it's just a nice cheap value card, not key to the overall strategy
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]