Gyll's Aggro Weapon Deck (old thread)

So I'm finding my Amani guys almost never get enraged, and get taken out pretty fast. Are they just cannon fodder or?
Reply Quote
If they eat a spell or trade then that's not bad, the enrage is just a nice little sometimes bonus in case of swipe/consecrate etc. That being said I've found them a little underwhelming too, I definitely miss the old Pint-sized Summoner in that slot. I was thinking of messing around with like a Wild Pyromancer/Commanding shout subtheme or something like that. You definitely want a 2-drop in that slot though, I'm just not sure what is best.

Try
-1 Amani Berserker
+1 Acidic Swamp Ooze

I've also been toying with
-1 Arathi Weaponsmith
+1 Commanding Shout

which has been testing pretty well. If anyone else who's been playing the deck has ideas for modifications I'd love to hear them!
Reply Quote
Also,

After thinking about it a bit while playing, I think Upgrade is actually pretty important to the deck. Oftentimes against mages/druids you can only get a few hits in with actual minions because of all the removal, and Upgrade allows you to do 17-18 over 3 turns with an Arcanite Reaper and take out Water Elementals/Druids of the Claw in one swing, I would definitely recommend springing for the Upgrades if you want to be competitive with the deck.
Edited by Gyll on 10/16/2013 1:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I think some cards might be worth replacing here for Kor'kron Elite which is a very aggressive card. Novince Engineer does not seem aggressive enough. Might be better to get Slam and Execute. Cruel Taskmaster might also be worth using since it is a versatile card good for finishing off other cards or powering up some of yours.

What are your thoughts on Southsea Deckhand? You will almost always have charge in this weapon deck. If you get it it allows the use of Southsea Captain which competes for Shatterd Sun Cleric in power because you will have so many pirates. In addition Southsea Deckhand is very aggressive. You would have 8 pirates in the deck making the Southsea Captain almost always useful and more powerful than the Shatter Sun Cleric.
Edited by AzureD on 10/16/2013 1:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Upgrade is really clutch. I feel most matches that I lose (Diamond 3, been here foreverrrr) are ones where I have a bad opening hand (no axe), or mages CC me into the ground. Or I start top decking.
Edited by Brakthir on 10/16/2013 9:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Does crutch mean good or bad?
Reply Quote
Good. Meant to say clutch!
Reply Quote
Well it was fun while it lasted boys. With the Battle Rage nerf, this list needs to be overhauled to work again, and honestly I'm not sure the warrior class is worth any more of my energy. Enrage & pain mechanics are not competitive, the removal is not competitive, the hero power is arguably the worst in the game. Warsong Commander, Frothing Berserker and the weapons are in my opinion the only warrior themes worth working on for a competitive tournament setting, and I don't think that's enough to build a winning deck around. I was looking forward to bringing this deck into the tournaments this weekend but now I probably won't even enter.

I've mained warrior from day 1 and was, I think, the highest rated warrior pre-patch. I try to stay positive on the forums since so there is so much negativity but in the last two patches I feel like I've watched my baby blossom into an adult only to be brutally murdered.

(///-_-) QQQQ

Victory or death
Reply Quote
I think Battle Rage was great in constructed. It allowed Warrior decks to be serious contenders without being overpowered. It was definitely over the top in the arena. They should have just changed its rarity and bumped something else down.
Reply Quote
Sigh. I main a warrior in WoW. It sucks that they're not competitive here :/
Reply Quote
Sorry about that rant, it's not really that bad.

I came up with a decent new version. I added in Wild Pyromancer + Commanding Shout to set up Battle Rages. Both are pretty fun cards in addition to working well in the shell. The deck is more vulnerable to mass removal decks now than before the patch (because you usually need to keep a creature or two out for a turn to set up a Battle Rage), but other than that it's pretty good. It's like a cross between the old list and the dedicated Wild Pyro lists, minus all the cute cards that don't win games (like Whirlwind & Armorsmith).

I didn't try Amani Berserker but in theory he could be better in this version with the new cards. Honestly I'm kind of sick of that guy. Most of the time you don't trigger Wild Pyro but when you do it can be really awesome. Usually you either Commanding Shout and go nuts or Upgrade, trade him off, Battle Rage, something like that. Try not to kill your own guys :)

http://www.hearthhead.com/deck=490/gylls-aggro-weapon-deck-%28updated-for-battle-rage-nerf%29
Edited by Gyll on 10/18/2013 10:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Nice man, Trying it out for sure.
Reply Quote
Edited by Gyll on 10/19/2013 12:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Weapon decks are by far the most fun way to play war. Still having trouble molding a decent deck after the change (I still prefer the initial BR compared to this weak version) :(
Reply Quote
Commanding Shout + Battle Rage is pretty sweet, but I'm not loving the Pyromancers actually
Reply Quote
I updated the list one last time, this is my official post-patch list. It's working quite well, not anticipating any more changes unless they change cards again.

http://www.hearthhead.com/deck=490/gylls-aggro-weapon-deck-%28updated-for-battle-rage-nerf%29
Reply Quote
I've been running the original version for the last few days (using the murlocs instead of Commanding) in Masters and having quite a bit of success. about 60% wins still from people not expecting that raw damage. The losses are from games where I have just one or two cards less than I need to make that reach. I'm going to make that murloc swap and play some more games today but it seems just those feeeeew cards extra from Commanding will be exactly what I need to fill that weakness.
Reply Quote
Hmmm I like the deck, but what about whirlwinds/brawl to deal with early rusher decks?

Also, Im aware its a different style, but have you tried a rage deck based on raging worgens/cruel taskmaster and or Abusive sarg and that 2/7 that gets +2 damage whenever its hit ( forget the name)

Curious is all.
Reply Quote
10/20/2013 04:12 PMPosted by Chuckfinley
I've been running the original version for the last few days (using the murlocs instead of Commanding) in Masters and having quite a bit of success. about 60% wins still from people not expecting that raw damage. The losses are from games where I have just one or two cards less than I need to make that reach. I'm going to make that murloc swap and play some more games today but it seems just those feeeeew cards extra from Commanding will be exactly what I need to fill that weakness.

Awesome! Always glad to hear of people having success with the deck. Commanding Shout is IMO the hidden gem from the warrior buff patch and is great on its own and even better with Battle Rage. Unfortunately neither are great when you're behind, so get that early board advantage and hold onto it at all costs!

Hmmm I like the deck, but what about whirlwinds/brawl to deal with early rusher decks?

Also, Im aware its a different style, but have you tried a rage deck based on raging worgens/cruel taskmaster and or Abusive sarg and that 2/7 that gets +2 damage whenever its hit ( forget the name)

Curious is all.

Fiery War Axe into Arathi Weaponsmith beats any early rush. Throw in 1 mana Dread Corsairs and you'll be knocking at their hero's door by turn 5. Of course you don't always get the early weapons but your creatures are all very cheap too so other aggressive decks aren't usually a problem.

Whirlwind, Execute, Brawl, Cleave are all so conditional that they have no place in an aggressive deck like ours. Brawl and Whirlwind are particularly terrible, Cleave and Execute are at least strong at what they do but still too conditional

I used to run Worgen/Taskmaster but neither are too amazing without the other which isn't the type of card I like to play. At least with the weapon mechanics you have so many weapons that you can reliably execute your game plan, plus the weapons are good on their own unlike Inner Rage, Whirlwind etc.

I also used to play Abusive Sergeant and he's amazing against taunts but very weak against heavy removal which is why he got cut. Same with Dire Wolf Alpha which I also used to run
Reply Quote
Is your Deck up to date ? Make a Gameplay-Vid , Gyli ! :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]