Gyll's Aggro Weapon Deck (old thread)

Gyll, this deck is pretty sweet. I've been running a modified version for a bit now and I think I actually enjoy having 2 whirlwinds in the deck. I'll try to get 1-2 frothing berserkers out with a few other minions on the field, commanding shout, then a whirlwind or two.. it can lead to some pretty stupid numbers.

Example:
http://i.imgur.com/39scItm.png
Edited by Artuk on 10/21/2013 4:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I love this deck but have a quick question. Are you using 2x upgrade! Or only one?
Reply Quote
Thanks to everyone who said they like the deck :) Feel free to upvote it on Hearthhead if you want to give me that extra little ego boost. Here's the link again

http://www.hearthhead.com/deck=490/gylls-aggro-weapon-deck-(updated-for-battle-rage-nerf)

I'll respond in reverse order

10/21/2013 09:24 PMPosted by Zorgnorg
I love this deck but have a quick question. Are you using 2x upgrade! Or only one?

I try to always keep the list on Hearthhead up to date with what I am actually playing in-game. The other day after I said the deck was finished and official, I made one last stealth swap of:

-1 Upgrade! (from 2 to 1)
+1 Murloc Tidehunter (from 0 to 1)

so if you look on Hearthhead, that's what I recommend and am playing right now. It feels weird to find a swap in-game that I like but not update the guide, but I can see how me constantly changing it could be annoying so I'll start keeping a little log of when I make changes. But I consider this deck now basically finished and I've been working on other classes for the next Team Liquid tournament, so it shouldn't change any more until next patch.

Why the change? Upgrade! can be very useful but the second copy starts to pull you too far in one direction where it's easy for your opponent to counter you (taunts/oozes), same with Murloc Tidehunter in the other direction (AoE). Ideally you want to be striking from both the ground and the air at the same time. So I'm liking this mix currently :)

tl;dr one Upgrade!

Gyll, this deck is pretty sweet. I've been running a modified version for a bit now and I think I actually enjoy having 2 whirlwinds in the deck. I'll try to get 1-2 frothing berserkers out with a few other minions on the field, commanding shout, then a whirlwind or two.. it can lead to some pretty stupid numbers.

Example:
http://i.imgur.com/39scItm.png

That is impressive! I had a few similar plays when I was trying out Wild Pyromancer where things just got utterly silly with Commanding Shout & Frothing Berserker, but I don't think I ever got him up to 22 attack. I'd be curious to see the swaps you made. I don't generally like Whirlwind/Slam/Brawl/Cleave/Execute in this deck because I hate sitting there against a control deck with a situational card in my hand while they build up mana. But it does work as sort of a pump spell with the Berserkers so that is pretty cool.

10/21/2013 12:03 PMPosted by Estate
Is your Deck up to date ? Make a Gameplay-Vid , Gyli ! :)

Yes the Hearthhead link is up to date with both the latest patch and with what I've been playing in-game, so snag those Commanding Shouts & go forth

I've been meaning to make a gameplay video but the deck has been in flux since the patch so I kept outdating my own videos. Now that it's basically finalized (and now that I can say someone asked me to, Thanks Estate!) I will definitely be making a gameplay video with the deck this week.
Edited by Gyll on 10/21/2013 10:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Here is a video of me jamming some ladder games

http://www.twitch.tv/gyllhearthstone/c/3143816
Edited by Gyll on 10/26/2013 9:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks for this Gyll
I have few cards beyond the basics, but I was able to use a weak variation of this to get 5 wins with the warrior for my daily. I only lost 1 and that one was close.

Before I got that daily, I had never even set up a warrior deck.

it was some of the fastest gold I have seen since I got in the beta. I kept playing it just to rack up a little more.

Even when I lose, the games are pretty fast. I am glad I stumbled over here when I got the quest.
Reply Quote
It's hard for me to wrap my head around a warrior deck with no executes.
Reply Quote
Gyll, thanks for the deck it works great. I decided i wanted to main a Warrior after DEing my first golden legendary for a Gromash. However I don't like using him too much and been looking at a deck more like this one.
Reply Quote
10/23/2013 12:54 PMPosted by Hounds
Looks fun. gonna build this when I get home and after my WoW raid. Question: do you often get to 7 mana? I got a Golden Gorehowl last night and would love to play with it. Thinking of swapping a reaper for it. It could be a good finisher or rid the board of a really big taunt if needed at the end.

You do get to 7 mana but the game is usually pretty decided by that point. I would try the deck as listed for a few games and then you will be able to decide for yourself how to fit the Gorehowl in. I wouldn't necessarily recommend the card in the deck just because it is 7 mana but it is a crazy strong card so I bet you can make it work
Reply Quote
I like the Tidehunter because he lets you make trades with exact damage

Ex 1. If they play a Senjin Shieldmasta when you only have a Fiery War Axe, you get to trade your 2/1 and keep a 1/1 instead of trading him away completely if he was a 3/2

Ex 2. If they play a Sunwalker, you can break the shield with a 1/1 instead of trading a full creature.

Ex 3. If they Fiery War Axe your first guy, he baits out the second swing and you still get to keep the 1/1

etc.
Edited by Gyll on 10/24/2013 11:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I really like this build, I had been struggling to get into masters and then i did some restructuring, mostly the main changes were the arathi weapon masters and going back to using the shattered sun clerics. I still kept the executes, cuz i can't really stand to part with em and have been using young priestess cuz they synergize well with the berserkers. Question i have is what is your opinion of using venture co mercenary, been debating on replacing boulderfists with em, but i am worried if they will screw up the tempo?
Reply Quote
Hard to say since I wouldn't personally use Boulderfist or Venture Co, just try both and see what you like better. My gut feeling is that Venture Co is a bit better since they have to kill it or die anyway.
Edited by Gyll on 10/24/2013 2:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
gotchya, reason i still have boulderfist is because i don't have anything worthwhile to replace it with atm.
Reply Quote
I cannot win with this deck. Everyone I play out-minions me. They've got 6/6 minions by turn 6 and I've got a weapon that does 5 damage. Even if I can kill them, I'm still taking damage. I can't combo anything because nothing is big enough to stay on the board for more than 1 turn.

Am I supposed to be just rushing them and ignoring any non-taunt minions? I tried that once and they killed me with lots of little minions in turn 5.
Reply Quote
Weapons should let you dominate the early game (by always clearing their board), and when they start putting the 6/6s out, that's when you start ignoring minions and only hitting their hero. Make sure you save your Bloodsail Raiders and Warsong Commanders to finish them off with.
Reply Quote
This deck is pretty fun, thanks Gyll ! Silly frustration of mine, I have pulled SO many warrior cards, I have every one of them, missing 1 brawl 1 gorehowl, but I have Grommash, and a friggin' Cairne. This is why I picked up Warrior, I pulled so many cards, figured why not give Warrior a go.

My frustration, I can't find a solid deck that works as well as this one that uses all my pretty purple cards and Grommash / Cairne ;P
Edited by Haderach on 10/25/2013 2:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Thank you Gyll, for this amazing deck. I was a diamond *** player and wouldn`t promote to the master league, but now.... i´m very happy

http://imgur.com/qBG8byS
Reply Quote
I love reading these :) I never thought this many people would actually pick up the list. Thanks for your posts and congrats on your victories. Congrats numb on hitting masters.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]