Gyll's Aggro Weapon Deck (old thread)

I really like this deck. It has a weird way of being an aggro deck without giving it away (thats a good thing). I played 3 games just now and the only time I lost was to a Murloc deck because I couldnt get a single weapon (even after mulliganing). Had I gotten a Fiery War Axe, the entire game would have changed. The next 2 games I got Fiery War Axe/Upgrade/Arathi Weaponsmith and then War Axe/Arcanite the game after that. Both ended very well, in my favor.

The only card I question is Loot Hoarder.

This is just my opinion of course, but between 2x Commanding Shout, Battle Rage and Novice Engineer, the draw power is already really strong. I dont exactly know what to replace it with. Maybe something along these lines:

-2 Loot Hoarder
-1 Murloc Tidehunter

+2 Harvest Golem (really combos well with Frothing and Knife Juggler, and really strong against Priest, Mage and Hunter)
+1 Cruel Taskmaster or Raging Worgen

Personally I lean a little more towards Taskmaster. Imagine for a moment: its turn 7, you play Warsong Commander, then Amani Berserker and then Cruel Taskmaster. Youve now got a 7/2 Amani Berserker with charge. Granted, thats a very specific situation. But it gives us another potential win condition. The Taskmaster also gets rid of Divine Shield.

I dont have much experience with the deck, but hopefully that gives us something to think about.

Edit: With weapons becoming so popular, a second Ooze might not be terrible either.
Edited by Rothulian on 10/28/2013 1:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
This took me from plat to 2 star masters, now I am really struggling to break to 3 star. I win 50% of my games and the deck is great, but at masters level it feels so dependant on drawing a war axe that if you don't you just can't gain enough traction and then by turn 6/7 they have the control.

Also any tips vs mages? They seem like a hard counter to this as most will run blizzard/flamestrike so by turn 5 your minions will start taking heavy flack.

Love the deck though, its so solid and doesn't require much dust to make. Thanks!
Reply Quote
This is just my opinion of course, but between 2x Commanding Shout, Battle Rage and Novice Engineer, the draw power is already really strong. I dont exactly know what to replace it with. Maybe something along these lines:

-2 Loot Hoarder
-1 Murloc Tidehunter

+2 Harvest Golem (really combos well with Frothing and Knife Juggler, and really strong against Priest, Mage and Hunter)
+1 Cruel Taskmaster or Raging Worgen

I like the Harvest Golem idea, my only worry is that they might be a little on the slow side in terms of offense. Personally I'm not a huge fan of Taskmaster, but maybe as a 1-of he's okay. You could swap out those 3 cards you don't like for the second Amani and 2 Taskmasters or like Taskmaster and a Whirlwind for a little enrage subtheme, that might work too. I like Loot Hoarder though, you often need to trade/sacrifice minions strategically anyway so you might as well get your card back.

10/28/2013 03:41 AMPosted by Walshy
Also any tips vs mages? They seem like a hard counter to this as most will run blizzard/flamestrike so by turn 5 your minions will start taking heavy flack.

I posted a little guide to beating mages on page 1, it was definitely easier with the old Battle Rage though, but you can still do it. Basically the key is patience, don't freak out if the game is going late, most mages don't run Ice Block/Ice Barrier or many taunt guys, so they don't have any way to protect their own health, so get in some chip damage, only keep a guy or two out at once, and just keep steady pressure up until you are ready to Reaper combo.
Reply Quote
I just got my beta key and hit 2-star masters in about 3 days thanks to this deck. It's solid, cheap and surprisingly versatile for an aggro deck. And for the record, I didn't even watch streamers before getting my beta so I guess the deck it's wonderful for people like me who doesn't know a lot about the game mechanics.

tyvm

PD: Sry about my bad english :P
Reply Quote
I'm finding this deck to be a little too dependent on a couple of cards to really hit home. It's definitely one of the better warrior decks I've played - and admittedly I'm missing a couple of cards (got all of them, but not x2), but even so - unless I get a good hand right off the bat, it seems to be incredibly hard to recover from there if I don't get any of the required cards that really make this deck shine.

Comparing this against my druid deck I play, that wins easily 90%+ fights, this doesn't come close. Again though - fun deck, and the cards I'm missing could be all the difference.
Reply Quote
Great deck Gyll, thanks for sharing!

I'm having some issues with running Battle Rage x2. Majority of the time it's pretty much a dead draw. Rarely do I have damaged minions out, weapons keep board control. The only time it's a positive gain is if I also have Commanding Shout and specifically run a minion into something. Sadly having both cards doesn't seem to happen very often.

Is anyone else running into this? Do you specifically setup situations where playing Battle Rage is a net gain? I hate opening minions to weaker removal/counter attacks just to draw a card.
Reply Quote
Battle rage works nicely with commanding shout in taking out the big guns ;)

If you have board control with a few minions, and keep your charges in your hand with warsong commander - then if a big minion gets played, you can safely take them down and not lose any creatures, then play your battle rage to recoup cards for when they get wiped (arcane explosion will easily take them all out at that point).

It's very situational - only use them when you get to those excellent points ;)
Reply Quote
I think that's my problem. I'm treating it like an oh crap I need to draw into something, instead of fitting it into a play.
Reply Quote
I'm thinking of dropping the second Battle Rage for something, maybe a second ooze. Getting stuck with like Rage/Rage/Shout/Reaper sucks when your board is empty
Edited by Gyll on 10/29/2013 11:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm really struggling with this deck. I just played 5 games-lost all 5. 3 of the 5, I didn't get a chance to do any damage to my opponent.

I find that almost every deck I play against is able to remove my turn 1-2-3 plays immediately, and then I flounder as I come up against bigger enemy cards.
Reply Quote
I'm going to try and make some better gameplay videos this weekend so you can see how I play it in general and against different classes. This isn't an experimental brew I put up online and then disassembled, this is my main deck that I play every day. If you're not feeling it that's okay though, maybe it's not for everyone.
Edited by Gyll on 10/31/2013 12:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Felt like thanking you for putting up that deck design, I did replace the boulderfists with venture co and you're right it is a very big, they need to kill it or die horribly, also makes a great finisher with warsong. I have managed to make it to 3 star master, have no idea what's above that though.
Reply Quote
That's the highest rank, congrats!
Reply Quote
Thanks, still debating if i need to change all the things to match yours or if i want to still keep it my own, cuz so far the win rate is pretty solid.
Reply Quote
You could try my exact version to see if there are things you like about it, but I think it's more fun to tinker and put your own spin on it
Reply Quote
I actually saw Cho in action as a priest and paused....as I saw the brilliance with him in it. If I ever got my hands on him, I'd put him in my warrior deck. I'd actually also try to synergize him with spells cards that seem more beneficial to the warrior itself than the other classes and more take up space in the other players' hands like: Inner rage, rampage, shield slam, whirlwind and (and to a cautionary extent because i definately wouldn't try it on classes that would have weapons too.) Upgrade. Its a risk, as calculated as it, nonetheless but the theory is if they're going to be using these same cards while cho is up, they're going to bounce back in your hand for re-use and any spell cards played from the opposing side can be held to your advantage until cho is removed.
Edited by Warstrat on 10/31/2013 9:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Cho was amazing before the patch when everyone was playing miracle rogue & control druid. Now that aggro decks are much more popular he's just too hard to keep alive, especially since they made him an 0/4.
Reply Quote
I think that's more due to the fact that the warrior has terrible, perhaps even the worst, cards in the form of dealing AOE damage to control minion aggro. Cleave can only deal with 2 weak minions, Whirlwind hits everything for just 1, and even Brawl, for an epic card, feels lackluster compared to even some basic AOE cards since it throws in your own minions and there is too much luck, which is what fuels the aggro in my opinion (out of aggro, out of luck is how I see of it.), involved even when skillfully played, the worst end result being the enemy's most powerful minion being left on the field.
Edited by Warstrat on 11/1/2013 8:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Yea, the problem Im noticing is that without proper early game draws, the deck really struggles to get off the ground. If you get those early game draws (war axe, mostly) its an easy win most of the time. But against mages and UtH hunter decks, it has some minor issues.

Edit: Also, 5th game in a row not getting Fiery War Axe after mulligans every time. Awesome.
Edited by Rothulian on 11/2/2013 8:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I've been keeping Arathi Weaponsmith when I don't have an axe, If you can go 2-drop on turn 2 into coin Arathi Weaponsmith on 3 that's almost as good as an axe. If you get your axe after, that's even better, the only risk is drawing both Weaponsmiths or no 2-drops
Edited by Gyll on 11/2/2013 12:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]