Gyll's Aggro Weapon Deck (old thread)

my god this deck is awesome. i use warrior as a main since i got the most cards for it... but i can see now having legendaries and epics are not the only things that matter.

ever since i tried this deck ive been winning... well 3-0 now but that's definitely better than the countless losses ive been getting trying to use hellscream and inner rage and whatever other combos i can think of.

it seems combos are not practical in constructed play. when i first saw the 17 2mana drops i thought, wtf. but it works so freakin well, thank you so much for showing me a different way to play this game.

it definitely opened up a lot of new ideas for this game. i would still love to use my bigger minion drops but that seems like something that needs to be addressed in the future.

i am very happy you posted this deck.
Reply Quote
Thanks Apoth :) This deck is very tempo-based which is why it works without bomby legendaries to win the late game.

The curve definitely looks ridiculous, the reason it works is that most of your 2-mana cards aren't actually cards you play out on turn 2, they are fit into a later turn with multiple cards in the same turn, especially because half of them draw you a card.
Reply Quote
I just crafted this deck, because I had most of it, anyway. And, man, I love it! So fas and agressive, but it doesn't feel gimicky.

So satisfying to kill a Ragnaros with an upgraded Arcanite Reaper! I actually went and named the Deck 'Arcantie Reaper, Ho!' afterwards.
Reply Quote
Agree with the majority here. I gave the deck a test run last night for 12 battles, and went a pretty insane 12-0 with it. I don't know if I was playing against players who just had no idea how to counter it, but I was able to win consistently and pretty quickly also. I almost always had an easy go to move that was hard to combat.

Thanks for the list, I'll be testing it out some more tonight.
Reply Quote
I, too, am adding that I like this deck! Many thanks for that!
It put me from countless losses to quite a few wins in a row. I have yet to lose. Didn't count, but I think I was at 8:0 before I stopped playing today.

I chose the deck you linked on page 1. Has this link been updated or should I browse through this thread for updates? :-D
Reply Quote
11/04/2013 02:49 PMPosted by Corydon
I chose the deck you linked on page 1. Has this link been updated or should I browse through this thread for updates? :-D

Gyll said he's updating the list he linked, yes.

Talking about updating your deck, here is what I did with my list. Reasonings for the card choices will be given, of course.

• 2x Commaning Shout: Too good to pass up, really. Fun thing I noticed: It works on minions that haven't entered the battlefield yet and therefore helps with secrets such as Snipe.
  • 2x Frothing Berserker. Probably the hardest hitting three-drop we can get our hands on. Makes aggressive Warrior decks a thing in the first place, I guess.
  • 2x Knife Juggler. A 3/2 for two isn't bad. Either deals damage or triggers Frothing Berserker, might even kill some stuff. I still don't like the RNG factor, though. I've been running the deck without him, too, and it still worked. I don't know how much of a necessity he really is...
  • 2x Upgrade!. Running two Upgrade! might seem a bit much, but getting an additional hit with a Fiery War Axe or even an Arcanite Reaper in has been huge for me - huge enough to run two, for sure. That might take another minion out or downright win you the game...
  • 2x Fiery War Axe. Probably the best Warrior card overall and one of the best two-drops in the game, I think.
  • 2x Novice Engineer. Everyone and their mother is running them. So, why wouldn't we?
  • 2x Warsong Commander. I'm a bit torn about it. Charge is great and usually helps a tone, especially in combination with Comanding Shout. Still, I'd wish she did a little more by herself.
  • 1x Acidic Swamp Ooze. Quite powerful when facing opponents who use weapons frequently. Since I'm seeing mostly Mages, Priests and Hunters with a few Paladins here and there, I feel like one Ooze is suffizient.
  • 1x Amani Berserker. I might be making mistakes, but I have a hard time to activate him somewhat reliably. He often ends up as simple 2/3 and then gets plucked off entirely. The good thing is that he does eat removal when that happens, so I still like having one of them around.
  • 2x Arathi Weaponsmith. Probably the second best card, superceded only by Fiery War Axe. Would be even better if it was worded like Upgrade!, but insanely powerful as is.
  • 2x Arcanite Reaper. That's what I named my deck after... Loving these things. Smashing my opponent for some 15+ damage thanks to upgrade is way too much fun. Also excellent at controlling the board.
  • 2x Battle Rate. Not sure about running two, honestly. So far, I've been getting at least two cards out of it and it was worth casting. I'm not running Loot Hoarders, so running two seems like a decent idea.
  • 2x Bloodsail Raider: Good thing we've got so many weapons. Pretty darn strong even with just the 2/2 weapon provided by Arathi Blacksmith...
  • 2x Dread Corsair. Only Taunter in the deck. More often than not, it'll either be cheap or free - and I do like having at least some form of taunt in here.
  • 2x Shattered Sun Cleric. One of my favourite neutral minions. Gets a lot of work done with combat tricks and the offensive and defensive capabilities are quite nice.
  • 2x Faerie Dragon. Quite unsure about this one. It basically replaces my Loot Hoarders. More offensive and since I'm mostly running into somewhat control-focused decks, I'd assume that these are a better pick.
  • Overall, I'd say that I'm only worried about not having some sort of silence. I might drop the Faerie Dragons eventually in favour of Ironbeak Owls, should that problem arise. One more thing, though: Are there any Legendaries that are even worth considering? The only one that would seem remotely interesting would be Kind Mukla, Captain Greenskin and Sylvanas Windrunner.
    Reply Quote
    Glad you guys are enjoying the deck! Yes what Luminis said was right, I keep that link updated to whatever version I'm currently playing, so you have the most recent version Corydon. Cool to see your changes Luminis. I don't think there are any legendaries that would improve the deck, otherwise I would be playing them!
    Reply Quote
    After about a week of playing this deck, (stuck in D3 atm), I've won probably three times more than I've lost.
    Reply Quote
    Thanks for the deck, it's awesome and it's a big fun to play with. Today 10-1, if you can't get weapon in the first 3 round you are in big trouble against murloc-warlocks.
    Edited by Njeroe on 11/5/2013 6:29 AM PST
    Reply Quote
    Hm, I've switched from 2x Fearie Dragon to 1x Faerie Dragon, 1x Loot Hoarder. Not sure what to make of these two, but I might just cut the Amani Berserker to run 2x Loot Hoarder, 1x Faerie Dragon.

Choices, choices :-/

In the end, though, these are very minor adjustments, I guess. I've started to record my results with the deck as it curretly is, using the spreadsheet I found here:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/1o3m6c/ive_made_a_google_spreadsheet_to_keep_track_of/

Might be cool if everyone posted their results so we can add it up to see how that archetype of a Warrior deck does ;)
    Reply Quote
    A bunch of people have asked me how to beat mages specifically so I split out the mage games from my stream last night into highlight videos:

http://www.twitch.tv/gyllhearthstone/c/3198619
    http://www.twitch.tv/gyllhearthstone/c/3198714

and here's the full warrior portion if you'd rather watch all 10 warrior games:

http://www.twitch.tv/gyllhearthstone/c/3198861

Enjoy!
    Edited by Gyll on 11/5/2013 4:07 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    If you mainly use Warsong commander to set up a second minion on the same turn, why not run charge instead? The warsong usually dies before next turn anyway since you don't have taunts. Charge makes if possible to surprise rush faster.
    Reply Quote
    Charge only gives one guy charge, with Warsong Commander I can charge out multiple guys
    Reply Quote
    Gyll I must thank you.

Tried some build with Warrior but couldn't find how to make it work properly or fight the right synergy and was kinda hating Warrior for their lack of synergy but your deck turned the table around.

I gave it a test run for a couple of game and totally knew what I had to do and ran very smoothly. Some cards aren't of my liking (play style difference :P) but thanks for your deck! Really fun to play with it
    Reply Quote

• 2x Commaning Shout: Too good to pass up, really. Fun thing I noticed: It works on minions that haven't entered the battlefield yet and therefore helps with secrets such as Snipe.
  • 2x Frothing Berserker. Probably the hardest hitting three-drop we can get our hands on. Makes aggressive Warrior decks a thing in the first place, I guess.
  • 2x Knife Juggler. A 3/2 for two isn't bad. Either deals damage or triggers Frothing Berserker, might even kill some stuff. I still don't like the RNG factor, though. I've been running the deck without him, too, and it still worked. I don't know how much of a necessity he really is...
  • 2x Upgrade!. Running two Upgrade! might seem a bit much, but getting an additional hit with a Fiery War Axe or even an Arcanite Reaper in has been huge for me - huge enough to run two, for sure. That might take another minion out or downright win you the game...
  • 2x Fiery War Axe. Probably the best Warrior card overall and one of the best two-drops in the game, I think.
  • 2x Novice Engineer. Everyone and their mother is running them. So, why wouldn't we?
  • 2x Warsong Commander. I'm a bit torn about it. Charge is great and usually helps a tone, especially in combination with Comanding Shout. Still, I'd wish she did a little more by herself.
  • 1x Acidic Swamp Ooze. Quite powerful when facing opponents who use weapons frequently. Since I'm seeing mostly Mages, Priests and Hunters with a few Paladins here and there, I feel like one Ooze is suffizient.
  • 1x Amani Berserker. I might be making mistakes, but I have a hard time to activate him somewhat reliably. He often ends up as simple 2/3 and then gets plucked off entirely. The good thing is that he does eat removal when that happens, so I still like having one of them around.
  • 2x Arathi Weaponsmith. Probably the second best card, superceded only by Fiery War Axe. Would be even better if it was worded like Upgrade!, but insanely powerful as is.
  • 2x Arcanite Reaper. That's what I named my deck after... Loving these things. Smashing my opponent for some 15+ damage thanks to upgrade is way too much fun. Also excellent at controlling the board.
  • 2x Battle Rate. Not sure about running two, honestly. So far, I've been getting at least two cards out of it and it was worth casting. I'm not running Loot Hoarders, so running two seems like a decent idea.
  • 2x Bloodsail Raider: Good thing we've got so many weapons. Pretty darn strong even with just the 2/2 weapon provided by Arathi Blacksmith...
  • 2x Dread Corsair. Only Taunter in the deck. More often than not, it'll either be cheap or free - and I do like having at least some form of taunt in here.
  • 2x Shattered Sun Cleric. One of my favourite neutral minions. Gets a lot of work done with combat tricks and the offensive and defensive capabilities are quite nice.
  • 2x Faerie Dragon. Quite unsure about this one. It basically replaces my Loot Hoarders. More offensive and since I'm mostly running into somewhat control-focused decks, I'd assume that these are a better pick.

• So, I went and changed things up again a bit. I dropped the Faerie Dragons, the Acidic Swamp Ooze and the Amani Berserker in Favour of two Loot Hoarders and two Ironbeak Owls. Basically, silence seems way more important given the opponents I face than either the damage the AB could provide or the effects of the FD and the ASO. Drawing into important stuff even faster is enough of a reason for me to run two loot Hoarders again.

Non of the substitutes seems worth to reduce the draw power.
    Reply Quote
    Very neutral-heavy board control decks have become quite popular lately, and I'm finding this deck can have quite a bit of trouble with them, especially the cards Harvest Golem & Defender of Argus. They are able to grind out your early drops with Harvest Golem and then slam the door on your combo kill with Defender of Argus. Your 2-drops get quickly killed and you end up stuck with useless Commanding Shouts & Battle Rages while they take over with Azure Drake & Argent Commander.

I believe the solution is to beat them at their own game, by fighting harder for board control through the midgame and letting our class cards pull us ahead. It turns out the warrior cards are actually quite well-suited for heavy minion combat, as long as we have durable creatures that can stay on the board for a turn.

I have been playing the Hearthhead list with these changes:
    -1 Battle Rage
    -1 Amani Berserker
    -1 Murloc Tidehunter

+1 Harvest Golem
    +2 Defender of Argus

More testing is needed but I have been liking these changes so far. When I think I have a final list I will update the Hearthhead post, but I wanted to update in case other people were having the same troubles.
    Reply Quote
    This deck is good bro
    Reply Quote
    I played with this deck for a while but lose alot to paladins and priests.
    not enough to finish without getting outdrawn
    Reply Quote
    I guess the advice is look out for the cleric and BoW'd mob. Mostly, you are aiming to burst the hero down faster than he can get his act together.
    Reply Quote
    Hi, i loved this deck and i do have some questions. Do you have problems against many aoes control decks? Also i would like to know your opinion if leroy and grommash do have a place in this deck.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]