Help with Reviving Druid Spell Decks

This is my favourite type of deck, I love the feeling of playing Malygos and then nuking the crap out of the opponent with spells. Unfortunately after the nerf, this took a big hit. I really want to revive it since it has fallen out of favour. Here is what I have got so far:

Innervate x2
Moonfire x2
Claw x2
Naturalize x2
Wrath x2
Bloodmage Thalnos
Bite x2
Swipe x2
Keeper of the Grove x2
Violet Teacher x2
Starfall x2
Azure Drake x2
Gadgetzan Auctioneer x2
Starfire x2
Ancient of Lore x2
Malygos

I experimented with other spell power minions like the kobold geomancer, dalaran mage and ogre magi but I felt like they were too easily dealt with and most it more useful to replace them with more spells or creatures that benefited from spells. The one thing I liked about the dalaran mage is that it tended to draw a lot of attention from the opponent.

Something else I tried out was big minions that could stall well, the main one being Ragnaros. At the end of the day I took him out because he just did not seem to fit and I could not justify the cost.

I was also thinking of actually taking out wrath or starfall since they can no longer hit heroes, obviously they are still very strong but maybe throwing in another minion or two could help out.

Open for discussion! Let us revive this style of play!
Edited by Dangerhorse on 10/10/2013 2:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
You probably don't need both moonfire and wrath, since they are both low damage spells. You may want low mana taunt minions in place of one of them. I like starfall in my decks because I primarily used it to board-clear (and otherwise you may lose your starfires dealing with minions).

Claw and bite are also redundant in buffing your hero (not specifically spell damage), so one set could be replaced with a defensive minion to protect your spell casting, as well.

Otherwise, I like your deck.
Edited by Lissanna on 10/10/2013 5:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
The point of moonfire is that it becomes insane once Malygos hits the board.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
I'd still worry about having enough taunt minions to make it to the point where Maly could hit the board. ;)
Reply Quote
Well taunts are a little overrated, I have enough spells and other minions to effectively keep the board in check to stall until Malygos.

A lot of the top constructed decks do not run taunts. Taunts seem like wasted cards in this deck because a lot of the time they only result in 1 for 1 trades.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
Well taunts are a little overrated, I have enough spells and other minions to effectively keep the board in check to stall until Malygos.

A lot of the top constructed decks do not run taunts. Taunts seem like wasted cards in this deck because a lot of the time they only result in 1 for 1 trades.

I suppose, but isn't that all you get out of things like bite & claw? I just worry about having decks without enough minions in them more generally. I tend to not do very well if I take a bunch of spells & hero buffs without minion protection. I don't have Malygos, so maybe this strategy only works if you have that one card?

I see how everything fits into the deck besides bite & claw. How are they used in ways that makes more sense to have those cards than minions in this deck? I'm really just curious how it pulls together in terms of playing. I just haven't had a functional spell deck since the patch.
Edited by Lissanna on 10/10/2013 7:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I like bite and claw because they are almost guaranteed to be 1 for 1 trades. Whereas taunts have the chance to be silenced or dealt with in other ways. Another big advantage to spell decks is that they are less vulnerable to things like flamestrike and consecrate.

The premise behind this kind of deck relies largely behind cards like the auctioneer and ancient of lore, which help you get a big card advantage. This means that it becomes much easier to deal with everything your opponent has to play, and then have some leftover to whittle them down or stall for Malygos to finish them.

I was very confused at first but after I watched them in action during tournaments I got a better idea of how they work, then I tried them out and I loved them. Before the patch I felt almost unstoppable, and it feels so good to bomb the crap out of them with Malygos at the end lol.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
That makes sense Dangerhorse. Thanks for explaining! If I ever get Maly, maybe I'll give it a try.
Reply Quote
Very interesting discussion, I hope to get Malygos soon so that I can give this a try. I've gotten three legendaries and two of them have been Hogger (although one is golden).
Reply Quote
So disenchant your Golden one and go make Malygos. You can't play with more than one copy of a legendary anyway ....
Reply Quote
I think it's somewhat more difficult to play this deck when you could adjust a few cards *put in potws* and then it becomes a token deck + malygos.

Druid token deck/violet paw is somewhat of a spell deck as well except that each spell they use translates into a board filled with 2/2 or 3/3 minions at the same time or allows the druid to consistently cycle through the whole deck really easily *you have an auctioneer so thats one aspect of the deck you already fufilled*. Furthermore adding potws makes moonfire much more valuable as a card since not only can auctioneers use it to draw/malygos for nuking, but violet teachers can use it to build tokens that will end up being buffed.

Anyways imo as far as spell decks go, violet paw/token druid is as optimized as it gets right now.

but I digress, if you want to use spells to nuke the !@#$ out of your opponent and make a deck around that sure why not.
Edited by Kaww on 3/14/2014 4:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]