Far Sight [What's it's Purpose]

A turn 2 coin into Far Sight is a solid alternate to totem if you are going second, but turns 3 and 4 are too valuable to when board control is established to burn Far Sight then.

I wish Far Sight was the exact same card it is now, but with 2s instead (costs 2, reduces cost by 2). This would make it a lot more includeable as an alternate to our turn 2 totem plays, and also reduce the RNG disadvantage of when you would currently draw a 1 or 2 cost spell, since you'd only be hoping to avoid 1 costs as what it draws. Right now, our mana curve when running overload cards requires too many 1 and 2 costs that the chance of one them being drawn is too high, especially when you count in all our cheap cost (almost required) spells.

Think about it - turn 2 Far Sight, turn 3 Feral Spirits, turn 4 could actually be a full turn 4 depending what you drew, completely offsetting the overload from FS! That would be great! And all the chances to coin Far Sight for a hopeful 4 drop on turn 2. :D
Edited by Ranilin on 3/19/2014 3:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Far sight is a garbage card and no its not a deck thinning card like engineers cuz u get no minion out. Using this card early is a waste of 3 mana unless ur way ahead. I can see it being decent late game if u draw a really nice card, otherwise its a waste of a spot in a deck.
Reply Quote
When there are so many 1-cost cards in a shaman deck I am hesitant to try this.

Does it really work?

I mean if I play it on turn 3, then I give up my usual turn 3 play. Worth it??
Reply Quote
10/25/2013 09:01 PMPosted by Starscream
The first time you play Ragnaros on turn 5, you'll figure out what Far Sight does.

Yeah, absolutely nothing. You would then be stuck with 2 mana and a 5 cost Rag. The card costs 3 mana remember...
Reply Quote
Why do so many people post crap without reading the other comments? Sounds like a pretty good card to me, i'm convinced
Reply Quote
03/31/2014 11:03 AMPosted by Barrakas
10/25/2013 09:01 PMPosted by Starscream
The first time you play Ragnaros on turn 5, you'll figure out what Far Sight does.

Yeah, absolutely nothing. You would then be stuck with 2 mana and a 5 cost Rag. The card costs 3 mana remember...

Unless you played it on Turn 3? The spell can be a mana aggregator.

The problem is that it its uses just don't seem consistent enough for competitive play. I mean, I wouldn't disenchant it. Its base mechanics has strong potential, but it just doesn't quite fit into the standard Shaman decks right now. It gives rise to the possibilities of 13 mana comboes, because you don't have to play the card with reduced cost on the same turn you cast Far Sight. It also lets you aggregate mana over two turns to cast a big spell. The problem is the "standard" Shaman decks contain a lot of cheap spells with Overload and few high cost spells.

However, imagine the combo possibilities for 1-mana Leeroy, 2-mana Bloodlust, or 5-mana Al'Akir. It doesn't even cost a card. It also doesn't necessarily cost you tempo, but the probability of it costing you tempo in a standard Shaman deck is simply too high right now.
Reply Quote
Shaman has too many 1 mana spells for it to be a viable card. If it were in a different deck such as Paladin then it may be slightly acceptable
Reply Quote
Absolutely not worth it. I wish it was like hunter tracking and you see your next 3 cards and can make one of them cost 3 less, then draw one card (the next one not the one made to cost less unless its the next) then it would have been ok for an epic without being OP. Now it just useless especially since you have so many 1 mana cards.
Reply Quote
I've really been struggling with this because I really want to use the card. Combat mist's idea is interesting and would certainly be better. I was thinking something along the lines of 3 cost draw 2 cards 1 costs 2 less, discard the other. Something like that.

I pack a lot of high cost stuff in my deck 2/3 3 cost or over but it's still a heavy gamble to use it. Not just because I might draw something less then 3 cost but because I might draw something like lighting storm and find that I have to wait 2 or 3 turns for my opponent to play minions, whereas if I had spent that 3 mana on something more stable I could be more effective earlier in the game.

There have been one or two times that i got a earth elemental out 4th turn or a Al'Akir turn 5 but it's a lot of risk considering you could play a loot horder get the cycle and have a character to fight with right away. A better example is the mana tide totem, you play it for the same cost and it gets you the cycle and has the potential of getting more cycle without the risk of paying the power but not getting something in equal value to a totem on the field.

Anyway I had 2 of these in my deck but i think i'm going to take them out in favor of a second mana tide and a rockbiter axe. I need to add 2 axe's to get more 1 cost cards that combo with the deck.

I apologize for all my spelling errors.
Reply Quote
It really depends on if you get lucky with a draw, if you play it turn 4 and pull rag well its amazing (or another really good 8 drop). It's kind of like holy wrath for the pally maybe you will get something really good but usually pretty average. It's not as bad as people say but its ok. Especially in a deck that has alot of high cost things and it (can potentially) pair up with overload cards nicely.
Edited by Boomstar on 5/19/2014 4:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I have one in my deck for fun. If you have to float 3 or more mana it's a great card to play that round.
Reply Quote
05/19/2014 04:27 PMPosted by Boomstar
It really depends on if you get lucky with a draw, if you play it turn 4 and pull rag well its amazing (or another really good 8 drop). It's kind of like holy wrath for the pally maybe you will get something really good but usually pretty average. It's not as bad as people say but its ok. Especially in a deck that has alot of high cost things and it (can potentially) pair up with overload cards nicely.

/sigh Necroposts....
Reply Quote
03/19/2014 02:12 PMPosted by JackD
Turn 3 use Far Sight. Draw a Lightning Storm.

Sweet, a free lightning storm.

Turn 9 draw Malygos

rip

Turn 3 to Turn 9 is a long time. If your having to wait 6 turns to play a card you spent 3 mana on your going to be killed. There are a number of different ways that the card you draw could just sit in your hand and be of no use. If you draw that mana storm and they play a mid sized hitter or are lucky enough to get something big out YOU LOSE. The same result If you get a Hex and they are a rush deck with a hoard of smaller characters. Not to mention the possibility of getting a 1 or 2 cost card and not getting the full discount on what you play. If you get lucky enough to get a heavy hitter then great but I wouldn't count on it.
Reply Quote
I have actually found it pretty useful. I added Malygos to my deck and I have dropped a Far Sight and got her out. Next turn the game is over.

Getting hit in the face with two 11 damage Lava Bursts and an 8 damage Lightning bolt hurts a lot. Also the Far Sight allows you to save that card and play it at anytime. Have a zero cost lava burst sitting in your hand for when you really need it to finish the game is awesome.
Reply Quote
It depends on your deck. If the deck focuses on lots of small minions (hence, a Bloodfury deck), Far Sight seems useless. However, if you put it in a deck with several bigger minions, then it gets drastically better.

If you use the card you drew in the same turn, it's a free card draw. (The 3 mana cost is made up by the reduction.)

The only time the mana reduction is wasted is on a cheap, 1-2 mana card.

@Connatic

What decks have you tried Far Sight in?
Reply Quote
Yeah, I get it, it's just terrible.

I think if it was 0 mana for a 3 cost reduction it would be too good, but 0 mana for a 2 cost reduction would be ideal, or perhaps 2 mana for a 4 cost reduction.

That would be nice drawing things like Al'Akir.
Reply Quote
Many decks like to have 1-2 draw spells... not because they need draw spells, but because it gives them something to do when they fear overcommitting into a x-for-1.

In the same situation, Far Sight allows you to stockpile tempo rather than cards.
Shamans can already cram a lot of action into one turn thanks ot Overload, Far Sight allows them to take this to an extreme. Then there's things like Gadgetzan Auctioneer or Violet Teacher which like cycling spells.

It doesn't belong in most decks though: most depend on overall efficiency rather than playing with momentum. And when you don't care, you don't want to take the randomness - you pay mana now for a card that may cost less than 3, or that may not be immediately useful.
Reply Quote
Since Shaman suffers badly in the early game, the card has little use; we can't afford to give up 3 mana early on to make true use of the card, and late game, what's the point? I'd rather draw blood lust.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]