Feedback/Opinion: Unleash the Hounds

I feel that Unleash the Hounds is too powerful in its current form.

My suggestions would be to lower the mana cost and make it only effect one beast, remove the attack buff, raise the mana cost, or a combination of these.

Thanks for reading.
Reply Quote
You mean like.... charge? But only to beasts? (Please)

How about we make it a 2 cost card, that gives charge to your enemy minions, would that be balanced for you?
Reply Quote
If anything, we can always add charge to Bestial Wrath.
Reply Quote
10/14/2013 04:45 PMPosted by Sharpshooter

on that note, I'm not against seeing what would happen if the immune and charge functions are swapped between Bestial Wrath and Unleash the Hounds.
Reply Quote
10/15/2013 05:16 PMPosted by Warstrat

on that note, I'm not against seeing what would happen if the immune and charge functions are swapped between Bestial Wrath and Unleash the Hounds.

That's actually a pretty fascinating idea. That being said, though, it would completely destroy one of my favorite decks in the game to play. Control/combo hunter is currently an incredibly unique deck compared to anything else being played. Removing charge from UtH would literally make this deck cease to exist. I think that would only harm the game, as I currently don't believe there have been many truly unique decks made for this game yet.
Reply Quote
Nope, UtH is fine as it is. It's only really useful when there are a bunch of of beasts in play. It just so happens that a UtH deck was constructed by someone and was able to build a proper deck that utilizes its strengths, along with other cards, to its fullest.

There are hundreds of cards in various CCGs where single cards were built around maximizing its strengths and the using the perfect complementary cards. From Magic: The Gathering cards that come mind are Broodstar, Hypergenesis, Wild Mongrel, Fires of Yavimaya, Platinum Angel, Gaea's Cradle, Tolarian Academy, Yawgmoth's Bargain, Masticore, Rishadan Port, Lin Sivvi Defiant Hero and so on. There are always going to be cards which are just damn good at building around and "nerfing" them isn't always the way to counter these cards. It was fine before the wipe and still is after the wipe.
Reply Quote
Unleash the Hounds at the very least needs to not give ALL the minions charge or cost a lot more Mana then it does right now.

The card is far from fine. 1 Mana to give all minions Charge (and +1) is quite a bit too powerful to be left alone.

Something like Bloodlust, that works similar, but only adds damage, costs 5 mana - and that is not nearly as good as having all the minions you played in a turn attack all at once.
Edited by Xaragoth on 10/17/2013 9:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Nope, UtH is fine as it is. It's only really useful when there are a bunch of of beasts in play. It just so happens that a UtH deck was constructed by someone and was able to build a proper deck that utilizes its strengths, along with other cards, to its fullest.

There are hundreds of cards in various CCGs where single cards were built around maximizing its strengths and the using the perfect complementary cards. From Magic: The Gathering cards that come mind are Broodstar, Hypergenesis, Wild Mongrel, Fires of Yavimaya, Platinum Angel, Gaea's Cradle, Tolarian Academy, Yawgmoth's Bargain, Masticore, Rishadan Port, Lin Sivvi Defiant Hero and so on. There are always going to be cards which are just damn good at building around and "nerfing" them isn't always the way to counter these cards. It was fine before the wipe and still is after the wipe.

http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Beast_cards

There are a total of 35 beast cards in the game right now and you are trying to claim "It's only really useful when there are a bunch of of beasts in play" ??? Are you serious? The card is BROKEN and every top 3 master knows this except the hunters that run the deck.
Edited by Bloodshot on 10/17/2013 12:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I feel that Unleash the Hounds is too powerful in its current form.

My suggestions would be to lower the mana cost and make it only effect one beast, remove the attack buff, raise the mana cost, or a combination of these.

Thanks for reading.

How about a reason why you feel this way other than your "feeling"

Because right now as it stand it isn't an OP card at all when you compare it to other like Hex and Sheep etc.
Reply Quote
Unleash the Hounds at the very least needs to not give ALL the minions charge or cost a lot more Mana then it does right now.

The card is far from fine. 1 Mana to give all minions Charge (and +1) is quite a bit too powerful to be left alone.

Something like Bloodlust, that works similar, but only adds damage, costs 5 mana - and that is not nearly as good as having all the minions you played in a turn attack all at once.

Keep in mind that in order to get "all the minions you played in a turn attack all at once", it first reqiures you play a lot of minions in one turn. That means giant combo, which means holding off on playing cards in earlier rounds to make sure you have all the cards in your hand already. So, by comparison, a Shaman could be playing his entire hand out recklessly, creating massive board presence (and hopefully not getting every single minion killed off in the meantime), including his hero power, then playing Bloodlust on a turn when he has five otherwise mediocre to useless minions on board to net him +15 damage that turn (on top of what they already do). In order to get five minions on the board and buff them for a hunter, you first need to have all six cards in hand, or else have access to them through good draw power. Second, since all these minions need to cost incredibly cheap, they will also have low health, thus dying if there's a protector on the opponent's side. Third, you only get a boost of 5 damage with five minions, as opposed to the Shaman's 15 damage. Heck, for a Shaman, even playing Bloodlust with only two minions on board could be a crucial turn.

Now, if people keep complaining about the card, it will get its cost raised. I personally think if you raise it to anything above a 2 cost it will suddenly become useless, though. Alternately, I could see the card costing three and giving all minions +2 attack and charge. Or, I could see leaving the card exactly as it is, but making it a legendary so you can only carry one copy. All in all, I think it's fine how it is, but if it does get changed, I absolutely think it shouldn't be changed by much.
Reply Quote

http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Beast_cards

There are a total of 35 beast cards in the game right now and you are trying to claim "It's only really useful when there are a bunch of of beasts in play" ??? Are you serious? The card is BROKEN and every top 3 master knows this except the hunters that run the deck.

There are 35 beast cards in the game. That certainly doesn't mean all 35 will be in play. If you're doing your job as the hunter's opponent, you're killing off his beasts, and leaving taunters in the way of any new beasts he might bring in play and give charge to.

Unleash is not a broken card, as evidenced by the fact that there is only ONE deck that runs it remotely well, and the ENTIRE DECK had to be built around just that one card to make it work. A card is only as good as the decks that run it. There are ways to stop the Unleash deck. If you haven't figured them out by now (after playing against the deck for over six weeks AND reading literally hundreds of posts about this very card), then you're probably not a great player, and are losing games due to your lack of skill, not the brokenness of opponents' cards.
Reply Quote
There are 35 beast cards in the game. That certainly doesn't mean all 35 will be in play. If you're doing your job as the hunter's opponent, you're killing off his beasts, and leaving taunters in the way of any new beasts he might bring in play and give charge to.

Beasts are usually not dropped until the Hunter has lethal. Leaving taunters in the way? Most hunters run with owls and will just silence them to get through.

Unleash is not a broken card, as evidenced by the fact that there is only ONE deck that runs it remotely well, and the ENTIRE DECK had to be built around just that one card to make it work. A card is only as good as the decks that run it.

Not a broken card? The MAJORITY of hunters in top masters run the deck because it IS BROKEN. Only the hunters that use it think otherwise.

There are ways to stop the Unleash deck. If you haven't figured them out by now (after playing against the deck for over six weeks AND reading literally hundreds of posts about this very card), then you're probably not a great player, and are losing games due to your lack of skill, not the brokenness of opponents' cards.

There is a way to stop every single type of deck but what does this have to do with an overpowered card? NOTHING. You have YET to justify why Unleash the Hounds deserves to be at ONE mana cost.
Edited by Bloodshot on 10/18/2013 6:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
OK gentlemen, let's have a look at the state of the hunters now!

Hunters, like all other classes have access to a variety of decks.

1, Beast swarm: sounds right, but the beast cards are weak compared to the similar cost neutral cards. Much weaker deck then the neutral swarm.

2, Neutral swarm: makes the majority of the hunter cards useless. Why play hunter if not for the unique hunter cards? Basically every other class does this better due to the hunter cards limitations.

3, Mid-late game focus: the hunter has no real defence. No hero power to clear the board, no tokens, no heals. The late game beasts are weak, the neutrals are OK, but they are not comboing with the hunter cards.

4, UtH-OTK deck: with a single choice the hunters can work around the beasts weakness and limitations. They can use their unique cards too.

The UtH-OTK is the ONLY viable option if you want to play a hunter, and not a warrior with secrets. I don't care if the UtH is OP or not. This deck is the only one what has a chance to win.
Hunters need an OP card to be viably choice. If the UtH is nerfed the whole hunter class needs buffed.

P.S.: there are 9 classes out there. If you can beat 6 classes 80%, one 50% (mirror :D) and you loose 75% to the two others.... Just sounds about right...
Reply Quote
I think the reason most people don't like UtH is because there are very few other cards that can give all other creatures on the board charge and extra attack at once. The Warrior version is more expensive and can't even have the main creature attack. Personally, I'd be fine with it if it cost 0 and just gave beasts charge.
Reply Quote
all the other version affect all minions thus more flexibility. Unleash the hounds forces you to play the weakest minions in such a way that they are no longer weak...

Soon as blizzard gives more options to hunter then perhaps people can talk till then....!@#$.
Reply Quote
The UtH-OTK is the ONLY viable option if you want to play a hunter, and not a warrior with secrets. I don't care if the UtH is OP or not. This deck is the only one what has a chance to win.
Hunters need an OP card to be viably choice. If the UtH is nerfed the whole hunter class needs buffed.

That's actually not a terrible idea. Why constrict an entire class to one card when you can just make the other cards better? Let's not forget this is a digital CCG and Bliz can easily change cards to whatever they please (or hopefully, whatever pleases us!) The discussion shouldn't be "is this card OP or not" let's think of what our Hunter Class should be doing instead!
Reply Quote
As I said I don't mind if the nerfed UtH is something like this: "Give a minion and adjacent minions +2 Attack and charge", or similar. So this card stays good, but not a one-shot mechanic. The starving buzzard also a must-have beast. Apart of this (and the crap Flare and Tracking) the hunter class has no draw power. Nothing at all. There is no beast with draw power out there. The SB could be a 2/4 minion for 3 "If you play a beast this turn at the end of your turn draw a card"

But in this case the hunter class must be buffed to be playable. I just gave a go to a hunter deck without UtH and SB... It's either unplayable or not-hunter. PERIOD

Hunters need more draw beasts and more strong beasts.

Beasts: (legendaries not included)
Battlecry: Crab, Kodo, Owl (all situational)
Buffer: Dire wolf, Scavenging Hyena, Timberwolf (Leokk, summoned by AComp)
Charge: Boar (Huffler summoned by AComp, Rhino gives charge to other beasts)
Deathrattle: Savannah Highmane
Divine Shield: none
Draw: Starving Buzzard
Enrage: Angry Chicken (seriosly?)
Spell damage: none
Stealth: Panther, Tiger
Taunt: Grizzly, Patriarch (Misha summoned by AComp)
Windfury: Dragonhawk
No effect: Raptor, Snapjaw, Crocolisk, Core Hound

Have a look at this list! They are ALL weak with only a few giving acceptable effects. The good effects are 1-3 HP minions, the big guys have no effects. The gamechanger beasts are summoned randomly by Animal Companion.

If this is changed in the future I'm happy to accept the UtH and SB nerf.... but until the overall beast buff the UtH-OTK is basically the only viable hunter deck.

#EDIT: I missed the Emperor Cobra. It's effect very good but rarely lives long enough to kill anything.
Edited by Aggrostemma on 10/24/2013 8:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hunter is one of my favourite classes but seeing how many people are using this strategy(summon small beasts and use unleash) is absolutely disgusting.
Shaman does something similar with totems and bloodboil which is also disgusting. It's not even a matter of strategy, it's a matter of luck to get your aoe card before receiving too much damage.
Reply Quote
Agreed. This card is way too powerful for its cost and given the number of low cost beasts. Charge or atk bonus would be more balanced, but not both. You could possibly raise the cost to counter, though I would think 3 would be the minimum. If it wasn't for the number of low cost beasts, their utility (silence, windfury, drawing cards, +atk, etc) it might not be a problem. Far too common to run into this build atm.
Reply Quote
Agreed. This card is way too powerful for its cost and given the number of low cost beasts. Charge or atk bonus would be more balanced, but not both. You could possibly raise the cost to counter, though I would think 3 would be the minimum. If it wasn't for the number of low cost beasts, their utility (silence, windfury, drawing cards, +atk, etc) it might not be a problem. Far too common to run into this build atm.

Are you even paying attention? The reason it's so common is because it's the Hunter's only real viable deck. When Hunters are given more options, you'll see the OTK deck less and less.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]