How Do I Beat Priest?

So I just got my Hearthstone key on Monday and have been having a blast playing a Rogue even though I realize it's currently underpowered. So what I am wondering is how do I go about beating any priest deck? I currently play a control deck and haven't beat against a single priest (AI Priest doesn't count) any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply Quote
What seems to be giving you the most trouble from the priest? Are there any combos or constant plays that stick out that you really have a tough time handling? It would help us give you good advice if we knew where you were having the trouble.
Reply Quote
depends if you have good cards available (white/blue)

you need to have good judgement on when to kill, sap, ignore, silence things. i don't think you can write it down, you must count his/hers buffing cards.
also, be aggressive, turn 8-10 is surely your last with mc/valeen/mb

its hard to beat priests without good draw luck tho. but you will eventually, they rely on luck too.
Reply Quote
Priests are one of the reasons that I like to use silence in any deck I build. Many priest cards are rendered useless with silencing.

Also, don't be afraid to hit directly with your daggers if it will result in a kill shot. Without minions, there's only so much damage a priest can do.
Reply Quote
10/08/2013 10:13 PMPosted by Carthh
What seems to be giving you the most trouble from the priest? Are there any combos or constant plays that stick out that you really have a tough time handling? It would help us give you good advice if we knew where you were having the trouble.

Biggest issue as far as I can see is relying too much on assassinate to draw when I need it to instead of trading minions I do have, and as Zephyr77 pointed out it could be due to me having no silence or vanish or sap (probably a mistake in a control deck, but I am still constantly working on it adding/removing cards etc.)

depends if you have good cards available (white/blue)

you need to have good judgement on when to kill, sap, ignore, silence things. i don't think you can write it down, you must count his/hers buffing cards.
also, be aggressive, turn 8-10 is surely your last with mc/valeen/mb

its hard to beat priests without good draw luck tho. but you will eventually, they rely on luck too.

Yeah I think I am going to put a couple of saps in the deck to deal with buffed up creatures, and vanish in-case things get way too out of hand.

Priests are one of the reasons that I like to use silence in any deck I build. Many priest cards are rendered useless with silencing.

Also, don't be afraid to hit directly with your daggers if it will result in a kill shot. Without minions, there's only so much damage a priest can do.

Yeah, the more I play the more I realize the potential for silence so I will see how it works out for me, but I am going to have to balance out all of the suggestions and see what works.

Thanks for the advice guys, also glad to report that yesterday I ended up beating a priest :D
Ended up with me at 2 health him at 5 with it being my turn in which I would of been dead if I didn't get him there. Ended up playing Perdition's Blade after Blade Flurry (1 dmg Blade Flurry from normal dagger, 2 damage from combo bonus on the Perdition's Blade and a direct hit from me for another 2.) But that was done before I read the advice, but still very much appreciated, again thank you!
Reply Quote
When a priest draws lightwell I immediately concede.
Reply Quote
What basic class deck is best for beating the AI priest?
Reply Quote
Really keep our minions off the board.... wait until AFTER we throw the buffs out to sap that lightspawn. That way instead of sapping a 5/5 you just sapped a 14/14 that I spent 3 or 4 cards on.

Sprint's card advantage and even shiv's 1 draw with the extra poke to whittle or finish something off is EXTREMELY useful for getting ahead of the priest.

Count our cards - they can only have 2 of each thing in there at most.

As someone else said - lots of direct damage with combos.
Reply Quote
Hi all - I have had my beta key for about a week now and have been enjoying the game.

Came across my first priest last night with my rogue deck. He started with lightwell, took me a couple of turns to get my head around that let me assure you!

We were then going back and forth he bought a minion out and started buffing it like mad, which @ first i countered and sapped it. He then bought it back a few goes later and buffed it to an all mighty 45/48 or something. I was laughing when he was going all this buffing as I has Assassinate in my hand to wipe it off the board, little did i forget he still had an attack left after the buffs so he finished me off :(.

Was a lesson I tell you.
Reply Quote
10/10/2013 05:53 PMPosted by MegaMike0082
What basic class deck is best for beating the AI priest?

ermm all of them
No problem at all
Reply Quote
10/08/2013 03:55 PMPosted by Roman
So I just got my Hearthstone key on Monday and have been having a blast playing a Rogue even though I realize it's currently underpowered. So what I am wondering is how do I go about beating any priest deck? I currently play a control deck and haven't beat against a single priest (AI Priest doesn't count) any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

You use "combo" cards to kill of Priest minions while dropping your own.
Remove all priest creatures while adding moderate pressure (not all in)
Keep card advantage, and use sprint.
You will then win eventually.

The more lengends they use the more OP deck you need
Reply Quote
Priest seems way overpowered, what with low-end minions that are tough to kill because of high health, to cards like the one that deals five damage while restoring five, or group damage of 2 while restoring two... Attacking with higher end minions doesn't work because of that kill an enemy with higher attack, and attacking with lower end minions doesn't work because of the high health and buffs on lower end units. I have Shaman, Hunter, and Druid decks with different strategies that do well against all other types, but always fail against priests.
Reply Quote
I have the same issue with my rogue deck priest normally just hase to many heals and holy nova wipes my board when i get a strong start i.e coin defies shadow step defies
Reply Quote
Palladin probably destroys priests, turning their buffed hp minions into 1 hp monters. that is my guess as a beginner haha
Reply Quote
Weird, I've never had trouble beating a priest as a rogue unless they got an rng hand resulting in a 36/36 creature on turn 3.

I usually remove everything on board & win by turn 8-12 with rogues strong burst damage.
Reply Quote
I also beat a heal pally yesterday in around 10 turns. I delt 59 damage to him.( its a budget deck no legendarys/miracle combos) You probably need to add some burn to your deck.
Reply Quote
I'm having the same issue as a rogue. Too many heals and cards that just eliminate my minions at a low mana cost for them. Lightwell, heals every turn, a 2x a card that does 5 damage to my hero for only 2 mana. I don't have any silencing moves as my Rogue and I can't find any in neutral either. :/
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]