Why does the mage suck in the beginning

So i just started today got through the initial 'tutorial' matches with ease. and i thought "cool mage might actually be a great class"

Then i played a few rounds of practice and any matched that i didn't get completely obliterated in i barely won.

Then i do my my daily quest to play against an online player. DECIMATED again

So tell me...

with out resorting to Pay-2-Have-Fun or ditching this seemingly pathetic class and grinding all mage cards to dust for crafting later. How does someone new make this class actually pull out wins for them?

EDIT: I have been reading that apparently mages are the most OP, but are they OP after you pay money for good cards or are they OP from the start with the starter deck and some won cards? because to me there is a huge difference.
Edited by Nineball on 10/15/2013 8:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/10195530415

It's a thread on this page. A 3 star masters mage player using a deck with only basic cards (no bought cards at all) and beats other 3 star masters players who have legendaries.
Reply Quote
Dude, you lost like your first 3 matches and all of a sudden Mages are bad?

Off course you lost, you're just starting.
Edited by DarkSpell on 10/15/2013 9:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/10195530415

It's a thread on this page. A 3 star masters mage player using a deck with only basic cards (no bought cards at all) and beats other 3 star masters players who have legendaries.

Then the RNG is terrible in this game

Because: Made It, Played It, Lost.... bullsh|t

seriously... my last several matches have all been getting completely rushed and crushed. Our power doesn't do enough to curb getting stomped by 6 minions a turn.
Edited by Nineball on 10/15/2013 10:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Mages are good if ya got the right cards in the beginning. Its the whole RNG of the game. To balance it out, you have to balance your deck with low level cards so ya can crank some stuff out earlier. I usually use the bell curve. Lots of cards around 4 mana. Like most deck construction, it is how ya put your deck together and how to use the combos.
Reply Quote
You can make reasonably strong mage decks with only the basic cards - it's a lot less p2w than something like shaman (not to imply shaman is op, but try playing it without expert cards).

Don't use the starter decks though, they're pretty awful.
Reply Quote
Yeah the starter decks are pretty awful.

So, first off, if you want to make a fun deck with mage or any class without spending a ton of money, it's quite possible. I've been in the beta two months, and have spent maybe $25 total by now. I sometimes treat myself to a 2-pack for $2.99 on pay day. Up to you to decide whether that's "pay-2-have-fun" but I guarantee there are a lot of people who have spent a ton more than I. The rest of my cards are bought with quest gold.

You have to be willing to disenchant EVERYTHING that's not in your deck of choice, or that you wouldn't use in an off class deck for dailies. For example, I got a Savannah Highmane yesterday. Great card, rare quality, but I don't play hunter much, so... disenchant. Questing Adventurer, another good card, gone. Goes without saying that all but very few of the common quality cards get dusted.

Use all that dust to make the cards you need. I have two Blizzards (rare) and two Pyroblasts (epic), all of which I crafted myself. I also had to make Ice Lances (common quality so no big deal). I got lucky and have pulled three Azure Drakes from packs, one of which was golden, so I didn't need to make him. The golden one I used a bit for the vanity factor, and then dusted him to put toward the Pyroblasts.

For non-mage daily quests I just build a basic deck and play in unranked. If you're smart about the basic cards you pick, it's usually not too hard to get your daily wins in unranked for the quest gold, and then it's back to ranked play with your crafted deck. Don't waste time in unranked if you see your basic deck is going to get stomped, just concede and move on.
Reply Quote
I won my first 10+ matches with the default mage deck. I haven't played any practice matches outside of the tutorial. I'm actually having more trouble figuring out how to incorporate other cards that are unlocked and still keep balance.

Some of my success may be RNG, but to me it feels like the mage deck is pretty strong if you apply careful strategy. If you try to just bum rush the enemy you'll probably lose. It could be the mage just doesn't fit your play style.
Reply Quote
So i just started today got through the initial 'tutorial' matches with ease. and i thought "cool mage might actually be a great class"

Then i played a few rounds of practice and any matched that i didn't get completely obliterated in i barely won.

Then i do my my daily quest to play against an online player. DECIMATED again

So tell me...

with out resorting to Pay-2-Have-Fun or ditching this seemingly pathetic class and grinding all mage cards to dust for crafting later. How does someone new make this class actually pull out wins for them?

EDIT: I have been reading that apparently mages are the most OP, but are they OP after you pay money for good cards or are they OP from the start with the starter deck and some won cards? because to me there is a huge difference.

A few things. You just started playing. You need to get used to playing the class and more importantly understand the class. I am the one who created the basic deck video.

I wrote this: http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/10261856376

It includes tips, advice, and video of decks I play in 3 stars Masters with. Every player is different. But I believe that Mage is best played as a counter play class. Meaning you are looking to counter your opponents plays until you can line up your damage spells to take care of them.

Additionally, I think you have the wrong attitude. If a player is using a basic deck in Masters 3* and winning, and you are getting demolished, the problem isn't the cards, the problem is you. I'm not trying to be mean here, but you need to play until your figure out what you are doing wrong or try a different class. If you have any questions on specifics, I'm happy to try to help, but I think the best thing you could do is watch video, read strats online, and try to get some experience playing before bemoaning the class.
Edited by Hippy on 10/19/2013 12:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Well, i have only bought 2 packs with 2€ and i must say, mages does not suck. i have played mostly with mage and not other classes so no mages are not good when you pay only real money.
Reply Quote
Because she likes to suck?
Reply Quote
I know mage is the tutorial class, but pick another class to start with. I ended up moving to hunter quite quickly and it gave me a much better opportunity to win, to learn how to construct a bit better, and to learn how to combat other class mechanics. I don't think Mage is the best class in terms of helping a learning curve. Come back to it later.
Reply Quote
MVP - Hearthstone
Mage in my opinion is a good starting class in the sense that it's a class that has everything you need within it's basic tools. The problem is that Pryoblast in particular is an epic you essentially need to be a good mage.
Reply Quote
I agree with the OP. The Mage is really awful. Most other classes can stack up a shield, or their Hero attack is better, or they get a weapon that lasts a few turns, and sometimes more than one of these. The Mage gets a 1 dmg fireball against 1 thing only. So while these other classes get to sit there whittling the Mage down with these moves all you can do is try to keep it at bay with attrition by throwing away minions to these attacks or getting some taunt cards out to keep their minions busy. Even so, the weapons bypass any minions on the board, so it's like they get two "moves" to your every single one.

By the time you get any decent cards out on the board that haven't been destroyed to try to get some combos going you're at ~10/30 HP and ANY weak combo they get set up gives them the win.

To reiterate, the Mage has to sit there and get beat on (like a tank which is completely counterintuitive) until they can get some kind of counterattacks / combos going but they can't last long enough to do it. The RNG is too rough.
Edited by WCrispy on 1/18/2014 9:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
When you play as a mage (and don't want to use cookie cutter cards every deck plays), you really need to know when to use your spell cards properly.

Take a look at my version of an Aggro Mage deck. 2nd game I dealt with about the hardest rush deck there is, Warlock Murloc, and I was able to pull through. Just gotta know what to use and when (aside from the obvious luck of your draws).

http://youtu.be/Mvgs9CmijpM

-Cheers
Reply Quote
I think its a nice class...nice aoe abilities and the polymorph is great for super tanky taunt cards. I just started, but I feel like im on a roll with the mage.. maybe as i progress and face better players the flaws of the mage will be more apparent?
Reply Quote
Honestly, I found it rather difficult to win in Casual Mode with just the basic mage deck. I saw some tutorial online and used that mage deck. Then, when I tried facing the expert level classes, I got decimated. So, I just made tweaks to the basic deck with whatever cards I got and I went back into Casual. Pulled out two wins tonight. I recommend you play later at night. I didn't find as many people with crazy insane cards if you're trying to get the 3 wins.

I've never played a card game before this one and although it is sort of fun, I think the mage sucks.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]