Moon's Aggro Mage Deck from Managrind Tourney

This is the deck that Moon ran in the 10/14/2013 Managrind Tournament.

Deck List: http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/9931-moons-mage-aggro

What do you guys think of it and how it exploits the current meta game?

Also, who can explain why Shattered Sun Cleric and Dark Iron Dwarf are in here?

I would love someone to explain what combos make this deck work so well.

Tournament wrap-up article: http://hearthstone.blizzpro.com/2013/10/15/managrind-tournament-wrap-up-101413/
Edited by proteininja on 10/18/2013 7:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Basically destroys Priest, and Priest is the only thing which can counter Mage atm.
Reply Quote
I'd say a properly built mage deck is probably the strongest deck in the game currently. Priest decks can't do anything against mass units, where Mage decks have Flamestrike. Lots of removal in spells and can direct damage with spells as well if need be. Also Mage deck basically invalidates any 1 health creatures.
Reply Quote
no thalnos? and only x1 pyro?
Reply Quote
You don't know how many times i've had two pyros sitting in my hand and couldn't use them. One copy of a 8 cost card is plenty.
Reply Quote
Shattered Sun Cleric is an amazing 3 drop that completely changes the math on the board, enabling the deck to reach the "sweet spot" of 4 attack when against a Priest. The same goes for the Dwarf.
Edited by Quintessence on 10/18/2013 7:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
lol i tried this deck how it got 1st must be really lucky cause i can never play anything cause there is nothing to buff. least cleric is playing with out having to buff something but you can't do that with Dark Iron Dwarf
Reply Quote
10/20/2013 07:31 PMPosted by Furydeath
lol i tried this deck how it got 1st must be really lucky cause i can never play anything cause there is nothing to buff. least cleric is playing with out having to buff something but you can't do that with Dark Iron Dwarf

To be fair, most people in this tournament may not all be "pros".

As far as the card game playing community, a lot of people talk about a lot of cards and their worth, but most times they have no idea what they're talking about.

The playerbase is just the beta community right now, so random tournament results right now mean nothing.
Reply Quote
10/20/2013 07:31 PMPosted by Furydeath

Not buffing something usually isn't an issue.
A 3/3 for 3 is still pretty decent, especially as a mage who can ping to allow it to trade for x/4's.
Dark Iron Dwarf is similarly good even without it's buff, it sits in that 4 range and with pings can trade for x/5's (Although there aren't many).

10/18/2013 11:25 AMPosted by Atum
no thalnos? and only x1 pyro?

There are 9 damage spells in this deck and since this is early/mid aggro Thal isn't good even with the card draw.
The only thing I dislike about the deck is the single swamp ooze.
Reply Quote
Not buffing something usually isn't an issue.
A 3/3 for 3 is still pretty decent, especially as a mage who can ping to allow it to trade for x/4's.
Dark Iron Dwarf is similarly good even without it's buff, it sits in that 4 range and with pings can trade for x/5's (Although there aren't many).

I run both cleric and dwarf in my Shaman deck and while I agree that Dwarf is good even w/o the buff, its mechanics are not the same as the cleric. While you can drop the cleric w/o anything to buff, you have to buff one of their minions if your drop the dwarf with nothing on your side.
Reply Quote
10/22/2013 11:50 AMPosted by Nasreth
seems like it would work, but it looks super all-in. basically the mage equivalent of a murloc rush.

To be fair its good against priest and hunters. Chanman has a slightly better version, but i'm not quite sure why his uses mana addict over mana wyrm though.
Reply Quote
I've been running this deck for about a week now. It's very strong.

I have trouble with druids sometimes because they're pretty much the best class in the game. But, beyond this. I do very well. Sometimes bad draws or RNG backfire, but in general I have a very solid winrate in Masters 2*.

if anyone has questions I can try to help you guys out.
Reply Quote
Was doing well vs a Priest w/ this deck. I had him down to 5 hp...I had 25 hp.

He pulls out the card that doubles a minions health. Then pulled out another. Making it a 1/28 minion. Pulls an Inner Fire...and boom. 28/28 minion. He wins the game.

---

Overall, it seems to be a pretty good deck (better than another I was trying recently). I'll continue to play it to get a firmer grasp on the strategy.

Thanks for posting it.
Edited by Aionion on 10/23/2013 1:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
This deck doesn't look great to be honest, its only AoE is 2x Blizzard and it has zero taunt.

No abominations seems really weird to me as well when the deck lacks taunt and AoE.
I also think two water elementals should be added, such a powerful card for its cost.

I'd probably want to change the iron dwarves for aboms and the argent commanders for water elementals.

In short: The deck will lose to rush decks and beatdown decks due to the lack of AoE and taunt.
Also not a single iceblock or counterspell means it dies to one turn combos like hunters wolf+hawk+hound or priests stormwind+divine+innerfire as a couple examples.
Reply Quote
I built it last night since I had everything except a 2nd blizzard (using 1 flamestike instead) and it definitely feels strong. I think I won like 10 straight in masters3 before taking my first loss (sometimes you just get murloc'd i guess). I swapped the ooze for faerie dragon though since it's more of an aggro deck and can be hard to kill, especially when followed up with a cleric to make it a 4/3.
Reply Quote
This deck doesn't look great to be honest, its only AoE is 2x Blizzard and it has zero taunt.

No abominations seems really weird to me as well when the deck lacks taunt and AoE.
I also think two water elementals should be added, such a powerful card for its cost.

I'd probably want to change the iron dwarves for aboms and the argent commanders for water elementals.

In short: The deck will lose to rush decks and beatdown decks due to the lack of AoE and taunt.
Also not a single iceblock or counterspell means it dies to one turn combos like hunters wolf+hawk+hound or priests stormwind+divine+innerfire as a couple examples.

I actually do very well against both of those types of decks. The only thing that sometimes gives me trouble is if I get bad draws but that happens vs any deck. Overall it's a very strong deck.
Reply Quote
10/18/2013 09:08 AMPosted by Nymzee
Basically destroys Priest, and Priest is the only thing which can counter Mage atm.

Yea in bronze or silver maybe. Hunters and Druids with good cards rolls on Mages in master.

Regarding deck is nice build overall, but i feel like quick aggro (Murlock Warlock) would stomp this every time.
Reply Quote
I've had a great win/loss with this in masters 3. This is a rush spell deck and as such you have to play with that mind set. If your playing control and not having success then it is your play style not the deck being poor.

I don't waste any damage on their creatures if not absolutely necessary. Silence/Polly/Blizzard are normally enough to waste his time while your kill him by around turn 9 in most cases.

I've played around 30 games with it and it's main weakness was spell druid and weapon heavy warrior, everything else you just melt while they panic.

Overall with the correct play style this is a strong deck and having played a lot of the hunter rush and ohk I'd say it's definitely on par and has been as successful for me.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]