How do we beat Mages?

They have atleast 8 spells that'll freeze the field so domination is useless, and at 7+ Mana you won't ever get to dominate the field.

That's my conclusion anyway, if anyone has any ideas or suggestions, please share!
Reply Quote
Play mid-range shaman control and slow roll your creatures. This'll force them to polymorph dumb things, and fireball your minions instead of you.

Instead of relying on bloodlust, you should either drop it completely or only play one. I also suggest playing Faerie dragon x2 + Flametongue x2. These two cards reck priests/mages.
Reply Quote
you have better early game control with totems + low cost spells like lightning storm/bolt.

control the field before turn 4.
Reply Quote
Mages prooved difficult for me today as well.
Specially the arch mage is difficult to deal with,with its 7 hp. Its not realy a card you want to hex but none of the other removal spells can get rid of him.Meh,maybe i should just hex it next time..
Edited by Dido on 10/22/2013 2:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Don't play late game strategy, that's their turf. Take board/card control early on and you'll have them on their heels.
Reply Quote
I've found the key to beating almost any class is to keep spamming totems almost every turn and if u have mana tide and flametounge with totemic might thAt often forces your opponent to waste their cards on your totems which is what you want. Get them to waste cards clearing totems. They are basically free minions that don't cost you any cards and provide you with a variety of buff options. I often win games by making my opponent waste cards on totems. Even if he still has a lot of cards left in his deck the key is to reduce the number of cards in his hand before you start your offensive. He might be able to stop 1or 2 of your good cards still by that point but they always run out of steam once they can only play 1-2 cards at a time and I'm sitting there with 4-5 cards I'm my hand. I've found it doesn't matter how strong thier deck is, if they are only able to play 1-2 cards every turn it's just a slow death.
Reply Quote
So normal Shaman vs Normal AI Mage loses almost every time. Give it a try. Shamans seem really weak.
Reply Quote
There are a variety of ways to kill a mage. I made 3 star masters with no epics, legendaries, flametongues or bloodlusts while getting everything but the kitchen sink thrown at me. I'm winning over 80%.

I've since added in legendaries and I'm currently altering my control deck to help me deal with Hunter One-Turn-Kill decks while still being effective vs other classes. Take a look at these videos, there are some vs each class and archetype: http://www.youtube.com/user/cnegrin

glhf,

][{obayshi ][\/][aru
Reply Quote
Stealth panthers with our buffs seem to do the trick :)
Reply Quote
Umm, i just concede whenever i see a mage open with either a mana wyrm or a mirror image.

Absolutely nothing you can do to stop the pain train headed your way.
Reply Quote
I run a charge/draw deck. Stall/try to even trade until I can get 2 rockbiters, windfury, reckless rocketeer. As long as there's no taunts on the field, that combo can hit for 22 damage turn 9 or 10 which can catch some mages off guard and has won me quite a few games.

The stealth suggestion sounds interesting but AoE spells hit stealthed minions, whereas cards in your hand are usually safe.
Edited by CalmStorm on 1/2/2014 9:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
I reckon I win probably 1 in 5 games vs mages (and they're 90% of all my losses), and they all play the exact same. No skill, no combinations - just spells. IMO their spells are too cheap esp. frost ones, and lance is a bit too strong (against already frozen - such cheap damage).

The longer a game draws out the more likely I am to lose too, so I'm trying to play my deck to win faster against them which is kinda working. It's just not fun having to change up your entire deck just to respond to this stupid mage metagame in ranks 10-20 where I usually am.
Reply Quote
Of course you are going to lose if you run long games, because there is enough face damage in a mage deck to kill you.

The key is not to over-commit, but always keep board control.

You need to make sure they have no creatures on the field and hit their face every turn. At the same time, NEVER EVER have more than 2 non-totem creatures on the field unless you are about to deliver lethal damage. If you give into the temptation to swarm, you will suffer those 1-for-4 Flamestrikes and lose.

Also, pack some burst damage, like Argent Commander, Doomhammer, Lava Burst, and Rag.

Mages should be one of Shaman's easier match ups.
Reply Quote
I have been rolling priests and mages with my Hand Sham deck :-) Seems other shamans are having issues.
Reply Quote
With Mages, you are on a timer.

With Priests, you can slowly break them. The principle is the same though, keep your field small and threatening. The Priest will panic and use their two-card combos on 1 creature. And then you just drop creatures 1 at a time until they have no response.

Then sometimes you have games where they Thoughtsteal twice in early game and you just never catch up in cards.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]