Priest deck extremely overpowered

(Locked)

There are some cards in the priest deck that make the priest too overpowered. Being able to take control of enemy units, rising their health, stealing cards and equaling damage to health. These cards are too cheap and make the priest way overpowered when combining them all together in the same turn. Not sure who thought of the priest cards, but it's bull!@#$ as it is now.
I agree with this. Priest seems very strong at the moment. I went 9-2 yesterday in the Arena with only my second time as Priest.
As a priest player, this was my thinking as well for the majority of the ranked games I played. Up until I got to 2 Star Master level. Then it was like hitting a brick wall. Priest I think is easy to play to a 'decent' level, but it is far from overpowered if the opponents are building their decks well and know how to play against a priest.

Regarding the specific spells you mentioned:

Mind Control can definitely be a game changer but at 8 casting cost, it more often than not is too little too late and becomes a very expensive 2 for 1 trade (I lose 1 card, you likely lose 2). I still run 2 in my deck but lately it's been less of a game changer than in the lower tiers.

Stealing cards I don't think is actually stealing (unless it's one I'm not familiar with). The ones that let you randomly copy a card from their hand or 2 from their deck I have not tried. I have them and saw them while building my deck but my logic for not including them is that I'd rather have cards that I KNOW will do what I want versus basically playing a game of chance that I get something good. Chances are that you got burned by these a couple times but I think more often than not they end up being a waste of a slot in the opponents deck and is not as much of a killer card in the long run.

The equaling damage to health one is one I need to try but I was originally hesitant on using it because it seems only useful for the priest character power. I'm actually not sure how it works with stuff like Holy Nova where it has both healing and damage and whether I get to apply damage double to the enemy or if I actually end up hurting my own minions. If it's the former, then that's pretty strong, although the fact it's tied to a minion makes it less of game breaker in my eyes.

I think honestly, if you created a deck with any character with the same 'level' of card quality as the priest decks, they would be a fair match. I think it's simply that understanding how to play the various characters that makes it seem like priests are overpowered. I mean, for me, I'd say Warlocks, Druids, and Rogues are overpowered but I thought druids and rogues were under powered at the lower tiers. I'd actually suggest you try making a priest deck (make sure you at least have all the basic cards from hitting level 10) and try it out. Chances are you'll eventually learn what their weaknesses are and you can switch back to your other deck and start winning.
I feel your pain bro. I play as Mage and I cry when everytime I see Anduin. Certainly the pendulun is tipping towards the priest's deck.
I feel like adding to this one... I played 3 matches against priest decks today, using 3 completely different decks. 1 Warrior arena deck, 1 hunter beast deck, and 1 warrior pre-made charging deck.

Bottomline... round 8 and 9 on all 3 cases the priest decks whipped out back to back mind controls. This basically gave them immediate board control. While I was able to deal with my stolen minions 2 out of the 3 times, it cost me what burn I had.

I didn't used to agree that MC is op'd... but it is, against certain classes. The classes with heavy burn cards galore and not big creatures - these can cope with it. Any deck built with creatures in mind is screwed at this point.
As for your comments Jensyth... the problem isn't that you can't build a deck to beat it. The problem is you have to build your deck specifically to beat it. You can't build a deck with general effectiveness and have a decent shot against it - unless you are a rogue and have him dead by the 8th turn most of the time.

The card is very strong...if you have to build your deck around beating it, something is wrong.
MC is a game changer, but its not the end all of the game. I've trashed plenty of priests, and lost plenty of times as one. Especially if your going up against a class that likes to swarm with a ton of little cards like the hunter. MC ain't that useful if there's nothing stronger than a 3/3 on the board. Also its not terribly useful when your facing some super agro/burn deck that kills you off before you hit 8 mana.

Long and short of it, MC gives priest a lot of power in a long fight, but a well built deck can crush them before it becomes a factor.
In all of my fights against player-controlled priest decks (which is like 15-20 matches) I've won once. And probably because that guy didn't know how to play it. It's almost gotten to the point to where I concede immediately once I see Anduin's portrait. I built my own, and even starting out at level one, I was able to win all of my matches.

The OP cards:
Double Minion's Health.
Change Attack to Equal Health.
Mind Control.

In one or two rounds, I've seen people summon the 2/7 gurubashi guy that increases attack by 3 when damaged... Double his health to 14, double it again to 28, and then make the attack = health, and it was game over. A 28/28 minion in the space of 2 rounds... That's just ridiculous.

I don't have the Damage=Health card yet, but I've taken a minion with decent health, increased it by two twice, double it twice, and then use my rare card to make it a tank... It's game over at that point. I built a 4/40something tank in the space of a few rounds that way. People can't win against that unless they kill it instantaneously using a card designed to do so.

The priest deck is simply OP.
As a Mage, I auto-concede.
As a Big Unit Warlock, I auto-concede.
As a hunter deck, I play and go roughly 60/40 my favour.

I think the priest unfairness comes from the two choices of kill-cards & two choices of copy cards.

Shadow Word Pain & Shadow Word Death: The ability to wipe anything that isn't a 4-strength critter is massive. Often when I get something big out, I ask my monitor screen: "Are you going to Death him, or Mind Control him?"

Also, in regards to the copy mechanics. I think that the 1-cost copy a card from your hand is alittle too good... I was playing a priest with hardly any additional cards from the basic set (apart from the common that changes strength equal to toughness, made two of those), played a hunter, he had one card left in his hand, I played the copy card, SAW IT WAS KING CRUSH, and then played my turn accordingly, to prepare to deal with an 8/8 charger... and could.
The copy two cards from opponents deck for 3 mana is crazy good. I've used Mage's fireballs and pyroblast's against the mage, and I felt dirty... really really dirty.

I believe that there should be either one choice of kill cards, or one choice of copy cards... not both. Perhaps with a mechanic like the druid's where you get to choose which part of the card you want to use.
Having played enough games to level Druid past 30 and most classes past 10, I agree fully with this thread topic. I concede that I am far from the most skilled player, but I feel that the priest deck is overpowered.

Admittedly, the priest deck has some classic priest skills, and the Anduin of Hearthstone is excellent at crowd control. However, I feel that this class has too many unique and powerful skills.

In short, I don't think that any class should have the ability to do all of the following:
  • take direct control of your minions [Mind Control, Cabal Shadow Priest]
  • double a minion's health [Divine Spirit]
  • set a minion's attack equal to its health [Inner Fire, Lightspawn (minion)]
  • obtain cards from another class, albeit randomly [Thoughtsteal, Mind Games, Mind Vision]

All of the above in addition to cards that allow the destruction of enemy minions at no cost except mana [Shadow Word: Pain, Shadow Word: Death], powerful silencing ability [Silence, Mass Dispel], and excellent healing capabilities [hero power, Circle of Healing, Lightwell, Holy Nova] serve to make the priest an extremely powerful class. I would argue too powerful.

I am not strongly opposed to any of the above priest abilities, but I don't think any other class has such a strong and diverse set of skills. The combination of skills given to the priest make them an almost unstoppable opponent, and I think it's unwise and extremely limiting for players to be required to build their decks with the specific intent of being able to counter a priest deck.
Why is this thread in Technical Support? o.O

Shouldn't this "Priest QQ" thread be in the Priest or General Discussion forums?
MC is a game changer, but its not the end all of the game. I've trashed plenty of priests, and lost plenty of times as one. Especially if your going up against a class that likes to swarm with a ton of little cards like the hunter. MC ain't that useful if there's nothing stronger than a 3/3 on the board. Also its not terribly useful when your facing some super agro/burn deck that kills you off before you hit 8 mana.

Long and short of it, MC gives priest a lot of power in a long fight, but a well built deck can crush them before it becomes a factor.

Well stated and 100% agree !

All decks are OP if the cards draw and the player skill permit.
I have to say, mind control is just stupidly powerful, It's the definition of overpowered. Someone please tell me I can sign a petition or something to get this card out of the game because it is trash. It, like no other card, can turn around a game from 1 turn away from a loss, to instant victory with 0 skill involved other than mind control the strongest minion and win. It's essentially a summon of a minion of any strength combined with an assassinate, giving it what, 15 max mana value. I've lost so many games simply due to that one card because like no other card it turns the game 180 degrees away from the person who was winning hands down and just loses flat out. It's just plain broken.
MVP - Hearthstone
12/05/2013 03:06 PMPosted by Opa
I have to say, mind control is just stupidly powerful, It's the definition of overpowered. Someone please tell me I can sign a petition or something to get this card out of the game because it is trash. It, like no other card, can turn around a game from 1 turn away from a loss, to instant victory with 0 skill involved other than mind control the strongest minion and win. It's essentially a summon of a minion of any strength combined with an assassinate, giving it what, 15 max mana value. I've lost so many games simply due to that one card because like no other card it turns the game 180 degrees away from the person who was winning hands down and just loses flat out. It's just plain broken.

It's overpowered, but you're quite incorrect to say it can turn around a game like no other. Are you saying that Flamestrike, Argent Protector, Ironbark Protector, etc. can't massively turn around games as well? If you don't think they can, then I don't think you know how to use these cards.
I'm not sure if priests are overpowered, they are at least, Extremely unfun to go up against, they have so many tools at their disposal, heck going second against a priest is a risk thanks to mind vision. They have a ton of control and instant kill cards, that you need to build a deck around 4 attack minions to dodge all their shadow words and even then they can still do other things to wipe it out easily. Mind Control is especially painful forcing a 1 for 2 trade at best.
Everything is so wrong about their low price cards. I mean, DOUBLE a minions health for 2 mana? destroy any minion under 3 attack for TWO mana crystals? Perhaps if it applied only to 1 attack minions, so it would be used agaisnt ability oriented characters, or if the price was 3 or 4 crystals, and that is just about the shadow word pain, because divine spirit should be at 6 mana or simply cease existing.
MVP - Hearthstone
12/05/2013 09:59 PMPosted by Debsak
Everything is so wrong about their low price cards. I mean, DOUBLE a minions health for 2 mana? destroy any minion under 3 attack for TWO mana crystals? Perhaps if it applied only to 1 attack minions, so it would be used agaisnt ability oriented characters, or if the price was 3 or 4 crystals, and that is just about the shadow word pain, because divine spirit should be at 6 mana or simply cease existing.

Why is that a problem? Cards like Frostbolt, Arcane Shot, etc. also kill just about any 2-3 drop for 2 mana or less. That's the point of these low-cost removal cards. The difference is that while SWP has the potential to remove bigger but low-attack minions (ala Sen'jin Shieldmasta), SWP does not have the ability to contribute damage to a target. So for example, 2 Shadowbolts can kill a Giant, but 2 SWP's cannot.
Sar, I don't think you have thought this one through.

Why is that a problem? Cards like Frostbolt, Arcane Shot, etc. also kill just about any 2-3 drop for 2 mana or less. That's the point of these low-cost removal cards. The difference is that while SWP has the potential to remove bigger but low-attack minions (ala Sen'jin Shieldmasta), SWP does not have the ability to contribute damage to a target. So for example, 2 Shadowbolts can kill a Giant, but 2 SWP's cannot.

SWP does indeed work like other low-cost removal cards early game in that it is unlikely those minions will get health buffs. However, the destroy mechanic is far superior to just straight damage. It ignores all divine shields and health buffs completely all for a single card and low-cost. Other removals like frostbolt, backstab, etc would require at least 2+ cards to handle or a minion to ping off the shield/weaken potentially sacrificing itself. That is where SWP really shines. Only stealth can prevent it, but that works against all the mentioned low-cost removal.

SWD is even more powerful since it works just like SWP with its destroy mechanic, but instead slaps down early game buffed minions either from enrage or buff cards like kings. Again, all of this for only 1 low-cost card.

Combine such hard removal with health buffs/heals priests can create favorable trades easily and dominate the board unless you just aggro rush them (I will address this later).

Priests also have solid utility cards like Northshire Cleric for insane card draw, Holy Nova for AoE and heal creating options for great trades, Temple Enforcer for a great bruiser with added bonus of keeping something alive that you need or again for a trade, and Holy Fire for things that just need to die.

Given all this it really doesn't matter that SWP can't stack to work against a bigger mob. Priests have plenty of other cards that can do the job in just 1 card.

It's overpowered, but you're quite incorrect to say it can turn around a game like no other. Are you saying that Flamestrike, Argent Protector, Ironbark Protector, etc. can't massively turn around games as well? If you don't think they can, then I don't think you know how to use these cards.

Yes Flamestrike etc can turn games around, but nothing is quite like Mind Control. Ignoring rush decks (again I will address this shortly) this card can single handedly win games. If a deck attempts a more modest tempo given the priest's utility and excellent removal cards it is very likely that you are going to be pretty low on cards just keeping up. This means that the priest need only wait for those larger minions to come out and that is where it is extremely OP. It isn't just a removal card, but a hard removal card + fatty/key card all in one. You literally turn the enemy late game into yours. It is absolutely devastating. It also means the priest can play late game cards with reckless abandon knowing full well if you try to counter it you will only be adding to their late game.

So you just sit on cards until you can bait it out? Sounds like extreme board control to me.

Ok so how do you answer this? Rush of course! Well, what we have here then is a single class in Hearthstone is setting the entire meta game. You have to just build rush decks because you know that if you run into a priest unless you can just overwhelm them it is GG.

Aside from Mind Control, priests do not have any ONE thing that is just broken. It is the mere fact that they have so many great synergies and great cards that when put together their utility belt is enough to make Batman feel inadequate.
I agree with this. I'm new too the game, but priests seem OP especially against Druid. Druid has the most underpowered removal of any class, and has no way to deal with a priest, because a priest can buff his minions to have a ton of health.
I just don't agree with this thread. An aggro deck can easily overwhelm a priest deck. Sometimes before the priest can even get to turn 10 for MC.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]