Mind Control is on our Mind

Started an arena, got to 4 victories and no losses. Then lost to 3 priests in a row. All of them had AT LEAST 2 mind controls. The last used 4 MCs on me. Four. In one game.

Even in constructed it's the most annoying and frustrating thing to go up against. And it seems every other game is a priest.

As it stands now, I'm done with this game. And I won't be buying it.

This is what's most important here. It's just not fun to play vs Priests. Especially in the Arena. Playing vs priests is like running uphill. Whenever I play one I feel like I'm barely scraping away with a win even when I'm in a huge lead just because of the sheer amount of power priests have with a limited number of cards and mana. Whenever I encounter a Priest in the Arena, even if I win, I always stop playing after that game. I just lose the will to play after playing a Priest. If I encounter a Priest outside the Arena. I just concede. It's not fun to play vs priests.
Reply Quote
11/22/2013 01:29 AMPosted by Bartimaeus
This is what's most important here. It's just not fun to play vs Priests. Especially in the Arena. Playing vs priests is like running uphill. Whenever I play one I feel like I'm barely scraping away with a win even when I'm in a huge lead just because of the sheer amount of power priests have with a limited number of cards and mana. Whenever I encounter a Priest in the Arena, even if I win, I always stop playing after that game. I just lose the will to play after playing a Priest. If I encounter a Priest outside the Arena. I just concede. It's not fun to play vs priests.

Just had a game vs Priest (with my Mage deck). I made sure to pressure him, baited the first MC (he used it on my weakened Senjin Shieldmasta, which I then easily Frostbolted). I was looking out for the second one (always had my board full of medium-sized creatures that could still trade even if he'd MC one of them), but my fears were groundless. Still, with his Mind Visions he managed to steal one of my Flamestrikes... but still couldn't kill my board. And I kept clearing his board with ease, as my AoE and DD capabilities were far superior to his. For the most game, he could only heal himself with his ability... and prolong the inevitable :>.
Reply Quote
11/22/2013 07:57 AMPosted by Morok

Just had a game vs Priest (with my Mage deck). I made sure to pressure him, baited the first MC (he used it on my weakened Senjin Shieldmasta, which I then easily Frostbolted). I was looking out for the second one (always had my board full of medium-sized creatures that could still trade even if he'd MC one of them), but my fears were groundless. Still, with his Mind Visions he managed to steal one of my Flamestrikes... but still couldn't kill my board. And I kept clearing his board with ease, as my AoE and DD capabilities were far superior to his. For the most game, he could only heal himself with his ability... and prolong the inevitable :>.
its a shame we cant all be mages :P
Reply Quote
To me, all the QQ'ing is laughable. I think Mind Control is fine as it is, and I hardly play my priest anymore. In the higher tiers, you'll get smoked by paladins/warlocks/shamans/mages/hunters/warriors (sensing a trend here?) with an aggressive deck while you sit around waiting on that 8 mana spell without any real board interaction besides shadow words and holy nova.

If anything, I think the problem is the Shadow Word spells. The trick to beating a priest? Play only 4 power guys after 2cc. If your guys are 4 power, they can't touch you until at least turn 6 (holy fire) and by then you've done enough damage that MC won't matter if they even get to cast it.

Most people play whatever cards they're given early on.... and because Mind Control is on par with the legendary spells in terms of power, most F2P players playing loosely constructed decks aren't fast enough/tuned enough to combat the Priest's "basic spells". If Mind Control were epic or legendary, you'd see much less qq'ing because a) you wouldn't get 4 of them in Arena (which i've done multiple times lol) and b) You'd have to spend a !@#$ ton of money/dust to get 4 copies of them, as opposed to having them handed to you as a reward.

Just 2 cents from another one of those 3 star master/grandmaster arena guys :).
Reply Quote
Personally I think that it is a bit ridiculous that mind control can take your minion and then attack with it the turn they took it.
If anything, taking something should strip it of its ability to attack the same turn.

And as a side note, in World of Warcraft, when you mind control somebody, you can't use any of their abilities. Do something equivalent?
-Mind controlled creature gains: You cannot cast spells or use your hero power.

Then you could consider lowering the MC cost as it would be more balanced.
Reply Quote
Yeah.... that part's pretty broken too. Coming from Magic the Gathering, where stealing creatures still gives them that "summoning sickness", I didn't think to do it until someone attacked me with my own guy off of a Shadow Mastery. The text should either state that the creature can attack that turn, or make the creature wait a turn to attack (obviously not possible with Shadow Mastery since the effect is only until end of turn.
Reply Quote
Mind Control mana cost can be target creature's mana cost + 3
Edited by MechaTengu on 11/23/2013 1:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
One of the problems with MC is that it hamstrings other control decks. I'm already trying to trade effectively against a class that can heal, now I have to worry about trying to trade or control my own minion when it's taken. One well played MC is effectively equal to three cards (a removal spell, a big minion, and whatever I need to neutralize the MCed minion). In a tight control v control matchup, MC can turn an even match into a lopsided romp with one card. I get that aggro decks don't have as much trouble with it, but the answer shouldn't be "you have to play xxx or you're dumb and deserve to lose." I'm sure Blizz wants a diverse game with many viable decktypes, and MC is a card that narrows that field, significantly.
Reply Quote
11/23/2013 03:41 PMPosted by mondaymade
One of the problems with MC is that it hamstrings other control decks. I'm already trying to trade effectively against a class that can heal, now I have to worry about trying to trade or control my own minion when it's taken. One well played MC is effectively equal to three cards (a removal spell, a big minion, and whatever I need to neutralize the MCed minion). In a tight control v control matchup, MC can turn an even match into a lopsided romp with one card. I get that aggro decks don't have as much trouble with it, but the answer shouldn't be "you have to play xxx or you're dumb and deserve to lose." I'm sure Blizz wants a diverse game with many viable decktypes, and MC is a card that narrows that field, significantly.
Basically, this.

Don't let the people defending MC fool you. It is a broken card. Kudos to Blizz for fixing this.
Reply Quote
This is the only card that makes me have to stop playing Hearthstone, so stupidly frustrating! Even when I finally manage to get 4 Attack minions on the board, this bloody card comes out. There are too many cards priests have in which you have to constantly be thinking about, and telling someone to build a deck around playing just a Priest is ridiculous.

I think making this card cost 10 is the right move and I cannot wait for the nerf to be implemented.
Reply Quote
Mind Control isn't too bad. It's all the other crazy stuff priests get that is annoying. Mostly they are the penultimate card drawers. What you say warlocks are this? No, with northshire cleric, they can easy draw 3-4 cards in one turn. Add an acolyate of pain and there's more. This makes them almost impossible to win against, and then they can pull some crazy stuff out of your deck. I just had a priest copy blessing of wisdom from my hand and use it on his creature.
Reply Quote
As I've said before just remove Mind control and replace it with something else in the priest arsenal. Remove mindvision and thoughtsteal and give them interesting cards that don't rely on complete randomness or screwing your opponent over badly with luck. Remove shadow word death and pain - combine into one card for an instant removal (5 mana) exactly like assassinate.
Reply Quote
remove it already! What the hell are you waiting for? Turn 8 priest isn't dead, oh I guess I can't cast anything bigger than a 2/2 or they're gonna take it. Oh I got two things... they got two mind controls, or they got more than that in the stupid arena, what a bore
Edited by SneakyPrawn on 11/24/2013 10:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
Could also use some neutral spells / minions with targetable ability to prevent negative effects (like divine shield which doesn't block or pop from damage, but debuffs. Would add some counterplay to MC and mage freeze locking.
Reply Quote
I think Mind Control effect should be temporal instead of being more expensive. It should control a minion a limited number of turns. For example, If the minion has 4 or less attack you can controll it during 4 turns and if it has 5 or more attack you can control it during two turns, but the minion would always return to its owner unless the minion dies. It's just an idea.

Controlling a minion forever is just crazy in my opinion. Remember that MC is temporal in WoW so I think it should be the same here. I know HS and WoW are different games but I think it could work.
Reply Quote
I think MC should be removed from game. Just it.
Reply Quote
Long thread, can't be bothered to read through it, just thought I would add my opinion to it.

In my humble opinion, Mind Control just needs to mimic the "Shadow Madness" card.
Which is "Gain control of an enemy minion with 3 or less Attack until end of turn."
All Mind Control would need to be is "Gain control of an enemy minion with 5 attack or higher until end of turn."

That would make this card annoying, but in theme with the rest of the priest cards, without being dominating. As far as I know, Mind Control isn't permanent in WoW (unless something has been changed).

(This has probably been suggested earlier, but it is in my opinion one way to fix a broken card).
Edited by HerrGrim on 11/25/2013 4:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
Blizz has already stated that priests are not OP but the whining continues. It's amazing how the bandwagon effect can keep going despite evidence to the contrary.
Reply Quote
Blizz has already stated that priests are not OP but the whining continues. It's amazing how the bandwagon effect can keep going despite evidence to the contrary.

And I don't understand why at all. I play Priest and have been (almost) right since I got into the beta. Ever since, I've not had more headaches, haha. Priests are so difficult to actually play, taking into consideration the current Meta shift to hyper-aggressivity, because we just don't have a lot of reliable answers to the way people are currently playing.

But that's what learning is for, right? Seeing something, thinking "what is that?", figuring things out and then applying said findings. Why people seem to not be capable of doing this, I don't know, but they really should learn.
Reply Quote
To all the folks saying priests are fine: Do you think its ok that everyone has to build their deck to counter priests specifically when they have 9 classes?

Currently, if you have a deck that works vs priests u will go far. That ain't working as intended. Stop justifying it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]