The OP hunter Deck

So I've been reading about people talking about how hunters aren't as OP as others are making them out to be and yatta yatta so I decided to really get down and see for myself. I played a hunter back in the days of WoW and figured I'd go with them first anyway.

Let me just say up front I agree with everyone that hunter UtH is completely bulls**t OP and bellow I'm going to be producing the list and explaining my thoughts further.

So now for the Deck list:
2 arcane shot
2 tracking
2 unleash the hounds
2 stonetusk boar
2 timberwolf
2 young dragonhawk
2 explosive trap
1 freezing trap
2 snipe
2 ironbeak owl
2 novice engineer
2 starving buzzard
2 eaglehorn bow
1 deadly shot
2 kill command
1 jungle panther
1 multi-shot

So with this deck I could basically make it after two rounds of Arena (one 4-3; the next I went 7-3) after which I just bought the two bows needed and spent literally 0 dollars on this game up until then. I made it to Master 2 stars with 75 games played and a ~85% win rate. It took me literally 6-7hours to do this. I had a couple people just outright quit on turn four and I even had a priest deck himself around the Platinum 3star area... which was odd and I will chalk that up to his mistake.

I did however loose to two warlock decks, a warrior, and one shaman murloc-shock deck that took me by real surprise on turn 6. Both times I lost to the warlocks they were demon-heavy decks and my Unleash the Hounds just happened to be in the last four cards in my deck; bad luck I know but that is how it goes sometimes. The warrior just outright tanked through my unleash the hounds and then wild pyromancered into a giant that he gave charge and wrecked my face in one turn. Made me laugh because it was awesome!

Anyway, the deck has a simple niche to it... just hold your beasts except the panther; on turn 6-8 drop them and play unleash the hounds and swing for the fences. All the while you use your spells to control the board fairly well. I've seen a couple different versions of this deck and they all have validity to them so; if anyone is planning on making one (this version is by far the most cost effective and pretty simple to run) and would like to ask questions feel free.

ALL of that being said. As a long time CCG player and a fairly pro-gamer in general; I really do believe that this deck needs to be nerfed through the floor.

for those out there that think this is the only viable hunter archtype; you're wrong this is just the simplest and most cost effective to make so you're lazy. Hunters have a vast amount of direct damage, the best hero ability by far, and they can control the board until late game where they can lay beasts down or even just win outright with direct damage like a mage. There are other ways to play them and they should be more thoroughly explored.
Reply Quote
+1
Reply Quote
hunter is in a wrong place atm.
this deck is extremely strong, but completely relies on having UtH in first 15 cards, if you do, you almost certainly will win, if you dont, you will surely lose to every build .

its broken that lucky draw makes hunter unstopable, but bad draw makes him a joke. also it will be stopped/destroyed by 2*ice blocks or 2*explosive traps, nothing else...

there are no alternatives to beast decks tho, and if/when they nerf UtH, hunter will be in trouble...
Reply Quote
There are already threads on this build. Please check the forums thoroughly before starting a new topic on the same subject.

If you had checked the other threads, you'd see responses to this complaint already. Namely:

1) rush out-rushes it
2) well-timed taunters stop it cold
3) minions with divine shield require two packets of damage to kill, making them too much for this deck to handle
4) the deck works because new players (which there are still a TON of in beta) just don't know how to play against it. against a good player who has seen the deck before, your odds go to ~50%, as it should be

This decks is most effective against heavy control decks, namely mage and priest, who don't play many minions themselves, but instead rely on countering the opponent's minions. Frankly, it's one of the few decks out there that do well against the current meta. There are plenty of scenarios where it doesn't do well, though. If this deck continues to pick up in popularity, the meta will change to respond to it, and the deck won't be nearly as viable. This is utterly commonplace in TCG and CCG games. It certainly doesn't mean the deck is broken.
Reply Quote
I'm running a similar deck, with a couple rare/epic

If you have the cards add:
-Questing Adventurer
-Savannah Highmane
-Beastial Wrath

These cards will drastically improve the performance of any deck similar to this one.
Reply Quote
Hi!

10/22/2013 10:24 AMPosted by PrideStark
ALL of that being said. As a long time CCG player and a fairly pro-gamer in general; I really do believe that this deck needs to be nerfed through the floor.

As an experienced long time CCG player and fairly pro-gamer in general; why do you think anything should be nerfed trough the floor and not to be brought up to par with the standard?

10/22/2013 10:24 AMPosted by PrideStark
for those out there that think this is the only viable hunter archtype; you're wrong this is just the simplest and most cost effective to make so you're lazy. Hunters have a vast amount of direct damage, the best hero ability by far, and they can control the board until late game where they can lay beasts down or even just win outright with direct damage like a mage. There are other ways to play them and they should be more thoroughly explored.

There are two direct damage spells that can target the enemy Hero. While Explosive Shot, Multi Shot and Deadly Shot are great, they do diddly ship to the enemy Hero. Bows are nice, but they can be Taunted and most good decks are saving weapon destroy to handle your weapons in the late game.

Why would i ever play Beasts at late game if i don't intend using UtH? Similar cost minions are simply better than the Beasts. Well Stranglethorn Tiger is an exception. Tho the Beast keyword doesn't really make any difference in this situation if you don't use any Kill Commands this or in next turn.

Hunter Hero Ability has been rated as one of the two/three worst Hero Powers in ManaCast-podcast. While someone might think that they have better understading of the game, let's be honest. These guys are now running the MLG tournaments for the game and been around much longer than most. They know their ship when it comes to the competitive side. Hunters, expecially anything else than UtH, rely on board control. Their HA doesn't contribute to it at all.

Hunters have rarely done well in MG tournaments. In all of the main tournaments that have been ran by them have had like five Hunters in top brackets in all of them combined. I can't remember any of them being UtH decks but there might have been some.

The amount of UtH decks is also explained by the fact that they are so cheap to make. This fact makes it so that there are more of them but also means that people haven't gotten the cards they need to make the other viable decks.

I also think it's funny how you mention 4 decks that you lost to when in fact ~15% of 75 is 11. All of the loses were against these 4 decks? Also, you actually managed to play 75 games and not lose to any other Hunter playing UtH? Last four cards in your deck? I have hard time understanding how you actually managed to know this fact...
Reply Quote
No flares, GG explotrap, counterspell, iceblock, icebarrier.
Reply Quote
Ask any professional, high level player if he thinks it's overpowered. Then ask him if he feels clerics are overpowered. He will most likely say no to both of these. It's true that clerics are very strong, possibly stronger than certain classes and easier to play, and possibly more boring. But very much manageable to play against.

UTH is a real hit or miss combo, where either you score or you get crushed by your opponent. By the way, those who claim this requires no skill to play are wrong. There is a lot of strategy, thinking ahead and calculating when it comes to this build. Watch trump and kripp play this deck and against it (be astounded by the number of times they lose using it as well). There are many wombo-combo (or one turn kills, if you want) gimmicky decks, such as the priest divine spirit inner fire combo (which is considered unreliable and noobish in highest level), the warrior 10 health warsong commander 2x molten giant 2x youthful brewmaster, and others. UTH is just the most played one and the most common hunter build at the moment.

There will always be a lot of, let's say, medium level players complaining on these forums about nerf this neft that. Basically every class and card by now was said to be overpowered. I know that some of these claims are most silly than others, but keep in mind:

The noobs go after the latest hype, or fashion if you will. Rogue was nerfed in the last patch, therefore Rogue = sucks. He is certainly weaker, but still has potential to be excellent with the right cards. Clerics are said to be the strongest class at the moment so all the noobs play it. The fact that almost all of the key cards are basic does not help, too. Same thing with other builds such as hunter and mage. What happens next is that you see most of these heroes when playing, using the same build more or less. And when they lose to the same thing again and again without thinking more deeply on how to beat it and what possible improvements they can make in their decks, they feel like it is completely overpowered and unfair (more players seem to be very annoyed by one turn kill combos anyway).

Now, that being said, I do agree that to some degree, there are a couple of fundamental mechanics in hearthstone that enable gimmicky wombo combo decks to be valid. playable, even competent sometimes. For instance, the lack of instants and so on. The problem is that UTH isn't the source of the problem, and nerfing it, or the whole build, would not do any good and certainly won't change anything in the game. As things stand right now, there will always be the one turn kill combo decks, as well as the "normal" heavy combo decks, and maybe that's not a bad thing, as those can be fun to play with (and also against, thinking a step ahead of your opponent, foiling his winning game-plan and crushing him).

I have to admit this is all coming from heavy stream watching and involvement in the hearthstone community as well as watching and learning from pros and listening to tournament winners discuss of these aspects, etc'.
Reply Quote
Your winrate isn't good proof that a deck is overpowered. I used the basic fully unlocked mage deck and reached 3 star master and lost only 6 times from memory. And this is the BASIC MAGE deck with no arena booster/dust additions, just the 20 cards from hitting level 10.

By your rationale the basic mage deck is even more overpowed.
Edited by chimpion on 10/30/2013 7:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Every deck is op before master 3.
Reply Quote
Yes it can be countered, UtH is still broken as a card by itself, realistically compared to say the warrior card warsong commander granted its a minion as well as giving charge to others its only a 2/3 and it cost 3. UtH gives ALL beast +1 attack and charge so usually you have 5 or so beast out you get 5 cards all buffed with 1 damage and they get charge, its simply too strong.
Reply Quote
+1 and charge, only applies to beasts, and you have to have tha mana to play your beasts and the spell itself....Its not that op seeing as most good beasts costs between 3-5 ( a couple 2s) and you can only play a couple of them, other than that you need to have cards already out, but this then negates the charge part and makes it a mini bloodlust, so? It is Very effective and pulling it from your deck is nice, but i've had games where the spell never shows up and you can with regardless with other beast boosting things like houndmaster or the wolves etc.
Reply Quote
11/01/2013 08:36 AMPosted by Phoenix22
+1 and charge, only applies to beasts, and you have to have tha mana to play your beasts and the spell itself....Its not that op seeing as most good beasts costs between 3-5 ( a couple 2s) and you can only play a couple of them, other than that you need to have cards already out, but this then negates the charge part and makes it a mini bloodlust, so? It is Very effective and pulling it from your deck is nice, but i've had games where the spell never shows up and you can with regardless with other beast boosting things like houndmaster or the wolves etc.

I don't think you understand the concept of this deck. From tracking and the sheer draw power of the buzzard, you will have filtered through most of your deck regardless, meaning there is a good chance you'll get it.

The unleash the hounds deck consists of stalling the game and putting damage into your enemy. Eventually, you will be able to to a OTK (one turn kill) with young dragonhawks, timber wolves, etc.

It's a quite strong deck.
Reply Quote
Do you think King Mukla will work in this deck ?I happened to open a Golden one ;o
Reply Quote
Hmm, so far played this deck 3 times. 1 total annihilation, and 2 games where I didn't get either buzzard and lost. This deck is hard because if they rush you, and your waiting for turn 8 and they happened to lay a taunt, your screwed.

EDIT: You have to get UtH for this deck to be in any way, shape, or form worth while
Edited by Hysterion on 11/1/2013 5:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I have tried this deck and personally hate it. It relies too much on surviving until higher turns and getting UtH. It either destroys an opponent or you lose horribly. Too much risk and chance for my liking.
Reply Quote
I just forfeit all hunter rounds to save time. Win rate vs. hunters = 5% (if they get bad draw and are terrible player) and 70% vs. non-hunters.
Reply Quote
That's an arena pick, you first got lucky in you selection. Secondly if other players were smart they should have murdered you late game.

Or if you were holding out (which they can see) murded you early
Edited by Sminky on 3/31/2014 6:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I just along with Actel have totally necroed this post. My bad, I thought the forums would be more lively.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]