flamestrike overpowered

You being stupid makes me OP.

Nerf me.
Reply Quote
My god, anything that isn't just attacking with minions seems to be considered overpowered these days...

You guys should've beena round during some of the more unbalenced times of MTG Type2/Standard. Like, Black Summer. Academy. Raffinity. You'd probably cry your widdle eyes out :D
Reply Quote
I'm sitting here racking my brain on how to be constructive in a thread starting with a post that is obviously not experienced enough in the game to make calls on what is, or is not, OP.

This is what I came up with ....

10/25/2013 10:22 AMPosted by Firemane
likely to get Flamestrike'd (Flamestricken? Flamestruck?).

This thread is now about "What is the proper way to use Flamestrike as a verb?"
Reply Quote
Here's the thing though, mages have flamestrikes/blizzard/arcane explosions/cone and then of course (in case they don't feel like going all trigger happy on the overkill) fireballs/sheeps/rngmissiles and the ever present threat of that free target fire blast racial that basically cancels your every 1 hp card, no matter how many taunts you have on the field,
So what's the tactic? Play a bunch of cards and watch them getting wiped for a single -one sided - aoe spell? Play one big card at a time to watch it getting sheeped/fireballed/frostbolted ETC ETC,
Meanwhile mr mage kept you busy up until turn 8 where he'll use a single pyro blast to get 1/3 of your hp down with nothing from your part in it to be able to stop it(Unless you're playing a mage with a counterspell).

And what is it about other classes having aoe as well? We're talking about 8 cards out of 30 that do just that for mages, meanwhile hunters have 2 explosion traps (which are very much predictable and easily outplayed by an opponent with half a brain) shamans with their rng storms that leave them with 2 locked mana crystals the next turn, paladins with 2 consentrations (ok, you can combo it and make it silly with Equality. So that's 4 cards) warlocks that kill themselves just exactly as much as they kill their opponents, priests with 2 holy novas, etc etc..

So it's 8 board clearing cards (assuming that you have a brain and get those silly +spell dmg mobs in your deck) for mages versus the 2(in general) that every other class gets + there's no penalty for flamestrike or blizzard.

And just in general, I'd like to assume that the reason I meet mages for like 90% of the games I play isn't that people adore them or maybe think all together that it's the most entertaining class to play.
Lets get this game fixed, shall we Blizzard?
Reply Quote
Here is what most of you people don't understand. Even if flamestrike was overpowered (not sure why I should take any of your word for it), it's perfectly ok for class specific cards to be overbudgeted in the particular niche that class has. That is the kind of asymmetrical balance that Blizzard has gone for.

You should know by now every class has their own bunch of cards that are overbudgeted but justified by the fact that they are a class 'perk' of sorts. Off the top of my head you have cards like feral spirit or fire elemental for shamans which are insane value, warlock cards fit into their theme of being overbudgeted but compensated for by some drawback, things like that, it just so happens that aoe is the mage niche - it's perfectly normal for mage aoe spells to be better than ones like hellfire. I would think there was something wrong if that wasn't the case.

Now if you ask me, the most likely reason mage aoe gets so much flak (does it? I don't visit the other class forums much, except mind control whining which is everywhere), is because new players tend to gravitate to a very creature heavy spammy playstyle, which is pretty bad if you're up against a mage. The solution is to get better and change the way you approach fighting a mage.

So what's the tactic? Play a bunch of cards and watch them getting wiped for a single -one sided - aoe spell? Play one big card at a time to watch it getting sheeped/fireballed/frostbolted ETC ETC,

Do you know what happens when you play a single minion against a hunter? Deadly shot, which isn't random any more since you only have one minion. If you play two you run right into multi shot giving him a 2 for 1. Three? Explosive shot. More than that? Explosive trap.

You can say the same for many classes. I actually like hunter aoe more because it doesn't have our two minion deadzone.
Edited by Myon on 11/1/2013 7:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
11/01/2013 07:34 PMPosted by Myon
Do you know what happens when you play a single minion against a hunter? Deadly shot, which isn't random any more since you only have one minion. If you play two you run right into multi shot giving him a 2 for 1. Three? Explosive shot. More than that? Explosive trap.

Buddy, explosive shot isn't even worth it for its cost, I'm in master league right now with my hunter with the availability of 2 explosive shots in my collection - of which, I use none of.
Deadly shot will have a 50% chance or more to hit the 1/1 target instead of the <whatever it's you actually want dead> , multishot is easily outmaneuvered by getting you just into that situation where there's one big minion that'll survive standing next to a 1/1 or something.
Explosive trap can be countered by simply being so easily predictable, so then if it's not a situation where you're just saving cards and the guy against you is only summoning minions with 1 or 2 hp, the way to counter it(the only board clear hunters have) will be attacking the hunter's minions with everything except 1 minion that'll activate the trap when you're done (therefore making explosive trap be used against possibly just 1 minion and the hero).
Most of the times I wouldn't lose to a mage because they're mostly terrible and very much predictable, but the fact that even with that they'd win/almost win sometimes just because their cards so easily achieve goals on their own makes me wonder.
A good mage with the rng goddess behind him would win the game no matter what cards I get, it's just as simple as that, a few of his cards will be worth more than mine in the same amount, I don't feel this way against any other class in the game right now while playing any of the three: hunter/shaman/warlock.
And like I said, don't you find it a bit suspicious that everybody and their moms are playing mages right now?
Reply Quote
Everyone is in masters right now with the way the ranking works, no need to cite it like it has any kind of credibility.

I really don't care to dig into your hunter examples and rebut them one by one, but I will reiterate that my point on flamestrike stands, you can deal or simply not play.
Edited by Myon on 11/2/2013 6:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote
And like I said, don't you find it a bit suspicious that everybody and their moms are playing mages right now?

I dare you to show me your masters medal, and how at least 3 on 4 games are vs mages. Thanks troll, cya.

Those guys, and their bs statements...
Reply Quote
Sorry that you're bitter because you're stuck in copper league with your mage while I'm in master's league playing against the mages who actually know how their class works :d (if it really matters to you that much then put down a link to one of those webs where you can upload screenshots and I'll).
And while mages aren't 90% of what I meet (which was an obvious exaggeration), it's still the majority of what I get to be against nowdays, priests following tightly behind, and then a few hunters from time to time with the rare occasional shaman/paladin. When it comes to arena though, you can't deny that IT'S flooded with mages!
Reply Quote
I can confirm that of the more higher-ranked classes I see in Constructed, Mages are shaping up to be the strong, and most frequent, that I fight against. Flamestrike is only the tip of the iceberg, but it does seem to be a problem. It's almost always a board wipe. Combined with the other control cards mages have (hint: this is nearly all of them), they control the flow of most games. From turn 1, playing against a mage feels like an uphill battle that is extremely difficult to win.
Reply Quote
I don't know if this will even it out but maybe buff the damage and give it a cast time where it activates at the start of you next turn?
Sort of like flame strike back in warcraft 3
i dunno just an idea.
Reply Quote
Mages are only overpowered because they're the only spellcaster with free control.

If a Warlock wants to control things, he loses his own things. And his own damn life. His spot removals also often discard one of his cards.

If a Shaman wants to control things, he loses his mana next turn and many other possible options for him are eliminated during the next turn because of it.

Priests got their control nerfed, and some of their control spells require a random discard.

Mage can do spot removal, direct damage, ENEMY-ONLY field removal, and all at no cost to the mage except in mana. Then with no overload, the mage gets all of its mana back to do it to you again next turn.

Mage needs taken down a peg, and there are Mage players that understand this. The only people who want to pretend Mage doesn't need balanced out want to abuse it.
Edited by Geek on 12/15/2013 2:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
From someone who is running 2 frost novas, 2 blizzards, and 2 flamestrikes... ya... how about you bait me to use them? If you throw 7 minions on the field it is pretty obvious we'll be board wiping you... This isnt a case of OVERPOWERED ZOMG its a case of you not knowing how to play and blaming your misplays on a card you have yet to figure out how to play against.
Reply Quote
10/24/2013 05:58 PMPosted by Kratier
its not balanced no other class can do something like that, its op

warlock: hellfire, shadowflame, twisting nether
rogue: blade flurry (requires weapon equipped) and fan of knives with spell damage minions in play.
druid: swipe and starfall.
paladin: consecration (coupled with equality and it has the same effect as flamestrike for 1 mana less overall).
shaman: lightning storm
hunter: explosive trap
priest: holy nova
warrior: whirlwind

11/01/2013 11:31 AMPosted by Dakkon
Twisting Nether isn't nearly as bad. Difference being flamestrike is one sided clear while TN is all creatures are killed. So it sents everyone back to square one not just the mages opponent. Heck you can FS then swing in with you field while the warlocks entire turn is TN.

twisting nether is 1 mana cost more than flamestrike, so saying it is an "entire turn" is kind of silly don't you think.
Reply Quote
judging from the op it seems more like a case of bad matching, a first timer vs a lvl 10+ mage. The card is fine though.
Reply Quote
learn to play and stop crying about mages, you are just really bad.
Reply Quote
10/24/2013 05:58 PMPosted by Kratier
its not balanced no other class can do something like that, its op

oh i'm sorry, my rogue using a hero power dagger + deadly poison x2 + blade flurry begs to differ.

wait, what about my druid using starfall or swipe.

or better yet, warlock using hellfire or twisting nether or shadowflame.

or how about paladin using equality+consecration, or the gimmicky equality+wild pyromancer play.

then of course you have the priest and holy nova, which not only does board aoe damage, but heals all friendly units.

or the warrior using brawl+whirlwind

what about the explosive trap for hunters

i gues NO OTHER SINGLE CLASS IN GAME HAS ACCESS TO ANY AOE AMIRITES?
Edited by Rogoth01 on 1/2/2014 7:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
With only 30 cards in the deck, a card like this is more likely to dramatically swing the game from loss to a win; would like to have skill more involved. Have to approach a mage as if they are holding Wrath of God, a reference to an old MTG card.

Still an unfortunate circumstance to be faced with when you've completely outplayed your opponent up to that point.
Reply Quote
Learn to play. Your first match and you're already here whining before trying to think about a counter deck.

There are NO MORE mages in legendary since the last nerf. Flamestrike is far from being overpowered.

Fact: before the nerf, Trump's mage deck didnt even run ANY flamestrike because this spell isn't even that good.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]