Arena pales in comparison to an actual Draft

I'm sure some of you will disagree with me, but I know a lot of people feel the same way I do about this mode. Initially, I was hoping Arena would be similiar to MTG's drafting format, where you are picking from essentially the same pool of cards as 7 other players. This allows for a lot more strategy when picking your cards.

As it stands, Arena is just too luck-orientated since each person has a completely different array of cards available to them. I feel that MTG's draft is the only format where everyone has an equal advantage (since they don't have to worry about spending several hundred dollars on a deck), and that's what I was hoping to see here. And to boot, there's an entry fee - locking out casual Arena players from actually learning how to draft their cards properly unless they spend money just to get stomped by more advanced players.

Also, not that it matters or anything, but I'm Masters ranking in the versus matchmaking.
Reply Quote
10/25/2013 09:47 AMPosted by Mittsies
I feel that MTG's draft is the only format where everyone has an equal advantage (since they don't have to worry about spending several hundred dollars on a deck), and that's what I was hoping to see here.

Sit with inexperienced drafters to either side, then tell me that everyone has an equal advantage. Watch someone lucking out and having a teammate sit to their left or right, then tell me everyone has an equal advantage.

Arena is the format where everyone has an equal chance -- each player has the exact same average card power level. No teammates, no inexperienced drafters borking your colours, etc.

And to boot, there's an entry fee - locking out casual Arena players from actually learning how to draft their cards properly unless they spend money just to get stomped by more advanced players.

There has to be a format where it costs money to enter, otherwise the game will be overrun with first turn concessions from failed mulligans, combo decks and people just looking for perfect draws.

Casual arena players can watch any of a number of streams, review draft pick orders, and post their drafts for critiques. Vivafringe has tirelessly been posting in the "ask me anything" thread, Trump's rankings are well known and easily found, etc.

We both agree: A game of skill and strategy has a barrier to people without skill and unwilling to think about strategy. We only disagree on whether or not that's a problem.
Reply Quote
10/25/2013 09:47 AMPosted by Mittsies
As it stands, Arena is just too luck-orientated since each person has a completely different array of cards available to them. I feel that MTG's draft is the only format where everyone has an equal advantage (since they don't have to worry about spending several hundred dollars on a deck), and that's what I was hoping to see here. And to boot, there's an entry fee - locking out casual Arena players from actually learning how to draft their cards properly unless they spend money just to get stomped by more advanced players.

1) MTG drafting most certainly does not give everyone an equal advantage. Guy across the table from you opens a bomb mythic and the guy passes him another bomb mythic in the same colour because he took the foil dual for the money - meanwhile you opened a pack with no removal and a useless rare and were passed an equally worthless pack. MTG is just as prone to streaks of good or bad luck as Hearthstone Arena is.

2) Arena is much closer to a hybrid of sealed deck and draft than a pure draft format. It's basically a spiced up version of sealed deck.
Reply Quote
10/25/2013 02:23 PMPosted by AlphaLackey
Arena is the format where everyone has an equal chance -- each player has the exact same average card power level.

Your statement contradicts itself.

You say:
1) Arena is the format where everyone has an equal chance
2) Each player has exact same average card power level

Statement 1) speaks about pre-draft and is correct. Everyone has equal chance to get same good 3 cards picks in average. However, statement 2) is about post-draft and is incorrect because not every deck is equally strong at average, far from it.

When 2 people roll a dice it does not mean that they will roll a same number on 1 trial.
Reply Quote
I don't think you guys have ever actually played an MTG draft.
Reply Quote
You actually took the time to write this stupid !@#$ing response. Stop complaining about a game you are making a conscious decision to play. It is not MTG, it's Hearthstone. If you would like to draft MTG style, go and do that. No one is stopping you. You complain and complain, yet you could he applying this energy towards the game and actually get used to something new and refreshing. But then again your brain is the size of a walnut. Hurr DURR, I like the draft system of a very aged unbalanced game I CANT UNDERSTAND WHY BLIZZARD DIDNT COPY MTG DRAFT STYLE...%^-*in A.
Reply Quote
10/25/2013 05:47 PMPosted by emihir0
Arena is the format where everyone has an equal chance -- each player has the exact same average card power level.

Your statement contradicts itself.

You say:
1) Arena is the format where everyone has an equal chance
2) Each player has exact same average card power level

Statement 1) speaks about pre-draft and is correct. Everyone has equal chance to get same good 3 cards picks in average. However, statement 2) is about post-draft and is incorrect because not every deck is equally strong at average, far from it.

When 2 people roll a dice it does not mean that they will roll a same number on 1 trial.

The "power level" refers to the expected average power level of each individual card available to choose. Some decks are stronger than others. But every deck has the same expected power level.

My point #2 simply refers to the fact that each person in arena is rolling a six sided dice, free from influence from teammates, rare drafters, inexperienced drafters, etc.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]