3-Star Master Shaman Control Build, In-Depth.

Hello fellas, I recently hit 3-Star Master playing Shaman exclusively from Plat 1-Star to 3-Star Master, and as I've noticed there's not too many 3-Star Shaman builds out there, so I thought I'd contribute with mine, as it could possibly help Shaman beginners understand the class better, or just offer other Shaman players a different deck build to try out! . The deck build I m using has an approximate 85 to 90% win ratio, I've lost very few games from Plat 1 till now, around 5-6 I believe. Following the decklist is a small explanation of how this deck should be played, and how to control the game using it.

The Deck:

Spells: 9

1x Forked Lightning
1x Lightning Storm
2x Rockbiter Weapon
1x Feral Spirit
1x Lava Burst
1x Bloodlust
2x Hex

Weapons: 3

2x Stormforged Axe
1x Doomhammer

Monsters: 18

1x Acidic Swamp Ooze
2x Harvester Golem
2x Loot Hoarder
1x Ironbeak Owl
1x Spellbreaker
2x Fire Elemental
2x Firetongue Totem
2x Defenger of Argus
2x Argent Commander
1x Frostwolf Warlord
2x Novice Engineer

Early-game

So the concept is pretty "simple", its a control deck, rather than a rush deck. You slowly wear down his field, whilst trying to maintain yours. Key in the strategy is early-game, as you'll need to maintain board control, or at least have equal control over the board with your opponent, using cards such as Harvester Golem or Loot Hoarder, cards very efficient for early trading. Another key card for early-game board control is Stormforged Axe, which allows you to dispatch of early annoying cards, such as Faerie Dragon for example. Rockbiter weapon is also a great card for those Amani Berserkers that if left uncontrolled can be devastating in terms of board control, or Northshire Clerics, that will make a priest generate a +17 card advantage in 2-3 turns. 1 Lightning Storm and 1 Forked Lightning as more than that are not required, they are both there for the early part of the game, where you want to slowly start crowding the field with your totems, as well as small monsters.

Mid-game Logic and how to maintain board control:

Having those seemlessly useless 0/2 totems on your field around turn 4-6 can prove game-breaking, as a flametongue totem between two of those will pump them up to 2x 2/2 monsters, which remember, you got for free. Cards that are also useful for surviving the 4-7 mana crystal stage of the game, which I'm refering to as "mid-game", are Hexes, the one Spellbreaker as well as the one Owl in the deck. Also, Argent Commanders are great for killing one of their big guys during mid-game. You should try to not use both Argent Commanders too early, though, or both Hexes, which is why you need the field control, to keep pumping your small monsters with Flametongue Totem and Defender of Argus. Also another great card for this stage of the game is Frostwolf Warlord, who I've found can be very useful, especially if you're in control of the duel and with 2-3 small monsters on the field. Also, don't forget, that another major threat your opponent will keep thinking of as he sees you flooding the field is Bloodlust, which can absolutely single-handedly win a game in a single turn, and therefore the opponent will be using as many resources as possible in order to keep your totems off the field, even important cards, such as his flamestrikes for example which is an easy way of re-gaining board control, which will allow for your late-game cards such as Fire Elemental to take over the field.

Late-game:

If it reaches the late stage of the game, you'll wanna make sure to have at least one Argent Commander left in your deck as he's an absolute life-saver in combination with a Rockbiter weapon dishing out 7 damage the very turn he's dropped, all whilst not getting a single scratch on him, and in style. Late-game control oriented cards are the two Fire Elementals, that can weaken a minion with 7 health to something more kill-able, such as 4.

Thoughts on this post, and some post-post more generic stuff you should keep in mind, if you give this deck a shot:

This is a forum post, so I can't express all of my thoughts in a huge-!@# wall of text on the deck, or the Shaman class, but I did my best to try and explain a bit how, I at least, think of the game. As a last note, I would like to say that this is not the kind of deck that will win off a big boss monster, such as Ysera or anything else, but rather a control oriented deck that plays by slowly and steadily killing enemy monsters, and dishing out small amounts of damage to the opponent each turn, forcing them to drop their "big guns" earlier than they would like, to restrain from being overwhelmed. Weapons are very important for the deck, and mostly because Shaman weapons are very good for constantly clearing small minions, or weakened minions, as stormforged axe can be dropped on round 2 but has an amazing durability of 3. That means, don't be afraid to put damage on yourself. even versus rush decks, as the damage you'll be putting on yourself will be translated as field control, since you'll be saving up your minions by using Thrall to kill off stuff.

Alright, thats all for now, hope this wasn't too long, and that at least someone will find it useful! Have a great evening everybody.

Also, if anybody liked this, feel free to like it perhaps on Reddit! : http://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/1pchmo/3star_shaman_control_deck_indepth_class_and_build/
Reply Quote
Hey! I will certainly be giving this a try! I'll report back with thoughts. Thanks for your time!
Reply Quote
@jdeegz: Thats great, thanks too!
Reply Quote
Wow this deck is nuts, and I didn't even get to finish it.

I've played about 10 games(at 3 star plat) and have only suffered one loss.

1 comment I would have, is to re-order your deck this way

[Shaman cards] listed numerically
[Neutral cards] listed numerically

Total
Spells - 9
Weapons - 3
Monsters - 18

Listing the cards per page, per mana would make it much easier for another person to create the deck :)

Card's that I am missing, and will work on getting include the Doomhammer, and the Defender of Argus. The rest I seem to have. I've been able to maintain board control, and in dire situations, just pump out totems that end up being strong with a good Bloodlust pull or Flametongue (misspelled in your post) totem.

Thanks! Cool deck.
Edited by jdeegz on 10/28/2013 8:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Ill be giving this deck a go as soon as I can got most of these cards but thanks for a amazing deck
Reply Quote
This isn't control. This is a shaman 'aggro' deck with cards to protect your creatures. Control hints vastly more control spells than you played.

This is more of a mid-range deck IMO.
Reply Quote
Yeah I tried this deck 20 games in a row, and I lost 12 of them. In those 20 games I realized that heavy control decks eat it alive if you don't get the perfect hand, sustained decks with taunts ate it up for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and push hard decks were also rough. Those 8 games I won were against late game decks which is where I had the cards on the field for bloodlust and Firetongue Totem. Fun though went you get the big lust off.

Nice guide as well for the deck!
Edited by Dangerzone on 10/30/2013 1:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
3 stars master here who mains Shaman as well. Sorry to burst your bubble op, but shaman is ill-suited as a control hero. You will never beat the two alpha control decks at the moment: mage and priest, who are much better. Even Druid who has a similar play-style as shaman, has a much tighter end game and can perform better as a control deck.

Shaman, however, excels in aggro/mid-range. All the cards in our disposal are geared towards early game tempo, with excellent mid-range finishers (earth/fire elemental).

Needless to say, we will never be as fast as warlocks, but we definitely control the early game better than hunters, paladins and druids. And of course mage/priest if you are lucky.
Reply Quote
"Forgive me if this offends you, but in my 12 years of playing magic, i've never seen a control deck with such low amount of removal. Maybe it isnt the cards, but the way you play in this game? I dunno, but this looks more like a mid-range aggro deck to me. I'm not saying it plays poorly, because I havent tried it. I'm just confused by your title.

Few questions I have:
1. Why are you only palying 1 lightning storm?
- I find that I *need* it to beat swarm decks. I always lose if I dont draw it.

2. How good is harvester golem over more removal and manatide totem?
- My deck plays twice the removal to maintain board control and protect manatide to refill my hand; gains extreme amounts of tempo advantage if it works.

3. Why are you playing only 1 spirit wolves?
- One of the highest value cards at 3 mana IMO. I found that I really need it against hunter combo and murloc decks."

So basically with your 12 years of Magic experience, you're saying you don't know !@#$ about Hearthstone because FERAL Spirits actually costs FIVE mana because of the overload. Man, if you don't know what you're talking about, why post on the forums?
Reply Quote
"Forgive me if this offends you, but in my 12 years of playing magic, i've never seen a control deck with such low amount of removal. Maybe it isnt the cards, but the way you play in this game? I dunno, but this looks more like a mid-range aggro deck to me. I'm not saying it plays poorly, because I havent tried it. I'm just confused by your title.

Few questions I have:
1. Why are you only palying 1 lightning storm?
- I find that I *need* it to beat swarm decks. I always lose if I dont draw it.

2. How good is harvester golem over more removal and manatide totem?
- My deck plays twice the removal to maintain board control and protect manatide to refill my hand; gains extreme amounts of tempo advantage if it works.

3. Why are you playing only 1 spirit wolves?
- One of the highest value cards at 3 mana IMO. I found that I really need it against hunter combo and murloc decks."

So basically with your 12 years of Magic experience, you're saying you don't know !@#$ about Hearthstone because FERAL Spirits actually costs FIVE mana because of the overload. Man, if you don't know what you're talking about, why post on the forums?

I feel that ishy had a very well thought out post and the fact that he/she didn't include the Overload cost doesn't necessarily lead me to believe that they are a bad player-perhaps ishy was just referring to the fact that you can get them out turn 3?

I agree that the thread title is mid-leading. This is not a control deck. This deck is an aggro deck with a little bit of removal. included...

Anyways, the reason I am posting is that I also agree that true Shaman control took a heavy hit by loosing the heal from Healing totem on the Hero...I feel like in order for Sham control to thrive it will require some amount of hero healing capability as it is far too often that I end up establishing control(ie winning) while at such a low health that a single burn can just finish me off...
Reply Quote
One lightning storm in a control deck? I can't see this winning much in masters vs real control decks or rush decks.
Reply Quote
Put Onyxia and removed Frostwolf Warlord. People generally kill Onyxia but the 6 whelps stay and get buffed by Bloodlust, giving a 24 damage Bomb.
Reply Quote
Hey I tried this build, but I didnt have all the cards so replaced some. Went up against a priest, and the lack of direct removal was kind of annoying. Yeah, I know, 2 Hexes, but you can't rely only on that. There was a 14-14 buffed nonsense, and I managed to take it down after 3 turns, because I didnt get any hexes or silences. At the end I finished off the priest with Bloodlusted totems, that was fun.
Reply Quote
10/27/2013 04:45 PMPosted by xWings
1x Forked Lightning
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]