Card Draw + Minion Buffs Deck

Since I've been seeing a lot of people say how rogue was overnerfed and is terrible etc. now, I decided to record one of my sessions of me playing with my rogue deck (approximately 2 hours) to show people that it can still be played competitively (at least relative to the random people you'll get matched up against in 3 star masters). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzMotnsPN58

I think I ended up going 17-0 or so in the video, but I didn't keep track of the number of games I played so it's not an exact number.

Decklist: http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/12566-rogue-card-draw-minions

This deck is pretty different from other rogue decks, in that it isn't very focused on spells (there are only 6 spells in the deck). I've mentioned it on a few other threads, but the basic idea of the deck is to use the rogues very efficient early game removal to keep the board clear while playing fodder minions (loot hoarder, novice engineer etc.), and then buff up the fodder minions to make favourable trades.

This deck is particularly effective against control decks, as almost every card in the deck has either a deathrattle or some kind of come into play effect - in addition, there's pretty much nothing in the deck that instant kill spells are useful against.

It didn't show up much in this video (hence the high win rate), but this deck can struggle with aggro decks - especially if it doesn't draw any backstabs and goes first. There was one game against a murloc deck that seemed very one sided in my favor, but I'm almost certain that I would have lost that game if I hadn't topdecked my backstab early in the game. Against anything other than extremely aggressive decks though this deck has performed very well for me. If it does draw its backstabs aggressive decks usually aren't a big problem on the other hand.
Edited by Kithros on 10/27/2013 5:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
The video is private bro :)
Reply Quote
10/27/2013 03:36 AMPosted by Unixtreme
The video is private bro :)

Oops lol, I fixed the link now.
Reply Quote
I am a new player, and I have rogue level 20, priest 14, and others 10, I opened 9 packs, and I have one rogue card non-basic, 1 conceal xD. very rarely I loose whit my dr.draw priest deck (free cards)
But its more hard for me beat whit my rogue deck.

In your video you use a lot of cards of the expert-set , but whit only free cards, rogue is a bit UP.

Advise me pls, I read is not a good decision create rare-cards, but for rogue , epic-legendary cards are not so usefull like rare-cards. Must I wait to get them of packs?

Sorry bad english. I hope you could understand me well.
Edited by Dreamless on 10/27/2013 7:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I am a new player, and I have rogue level 20, priest 14, and others 10, I opened 9 packs, and I have one rogue card non-basic, 1 conceal xD. very rarely I loose whit my dr.draw priest deck (free cards)
But its more hard for me beat whit my rogue deck.

In your video you use a lot of cards of the expert-set , but whit only free cards, rogue is a bit UP.

Advise me pls, I read is not a good decision create rare-cards, but for rogue , epic-legendary cards are not so usefull like rare-cards. Must I wait to get them of packs?

Sorry bad english. I hope you could understand me well.

I didn't really pay much attention while constructing my deck to the rarities of cards - I could've gotten any cards I wanted for my deck, so it wasn't a big concern.

That said, only Bloodmage Thalnos and Edwin Vancleef should be particularly difficult to get - the deck has 2 legendaries and no epics. I'd say swapping out thalnos/vancleef would make the deck worse, but the deck still functions well enough without them, even if it would be marginally worse.

Some cards that I've considered running in the deck but decided against (but can make decent replacements still) in no particular order: Blade flurry, acidic swamp ooze, fan of knives, acolyte of pain, spellbreaker, cult master

If rares are too difficult to get, then you'd have to be playing a much different version of the deck - there isn't really any way around that, but I don't think getting rares should be too much of a problem to get as long as you've played the game for a few weeks.
Reply Quote
Ok, thanks!
Reply Quote
this is something similar to what I run - how do you deal with board wipes effectively (the ones against you) and how are you clearing boards back? that's what I always felt sucked, come rounds 5 to 7 usually, we eat a 2x or 4x damage aoe that knocks all of our early game dominance out the door. then once the enemy can drop multiple, stronger minions on the cleared board (while usually also having minions left from the pre-board clear), we don't really have a response to wipe out half a field of minions
Reply Quote
I've been running this in masters i've been surprised how well its been doing.

Only thing i've lost to so far was a mage and even then it ws only by a few healthpoints. Shoulda been more agressive.

Liking it so far. I kinda wish i could fit in some silences but i really can't think of anything i'd want to remove.
Reply Quote
10/27/2013 12:19 PMPosted by Bitters
this is something similar to what I run - how do you deal with board wipes effectively (the ones against you) and how are you clearing boards back? that's what I always felt sucked, come rounds 5 to 7 usually, we eat a 2x or 4x damage aoe that knocks all of our early game dominance out the door. then once the enemy can drop multiple, stronger minions on the cleared board (while usually also having minions left from the pre-board clear), we don't really have a response to wipe out half a field of minions

Well, typically I just avoid playing minions that don't draw more cards when I already have strong board presence (unless the battlecry of that minion will allow me to trade with something efficiently). Board wipes can be a nuisance, but as long as you make sure most of the minions that get hit draw more cards, you won't end up losing card advantage and you can just spam more minions after the board wipe.

As far as how I wipe the board - typically I just kill their minions off as they come, and they never really get a strong board presence to begin with. This is why I opted not to use blade flurry/fan of knives, because the opponent rarely actually had enough targets on the board for them to be efficient. This is of course, going to be an issue still against really aggressive decks as I've mentioned before - usually if you draw into a backstab you can hold off aggressive decks (backstab lets you get some board presence for one turn, and as soon as you get board presence you can continually use the buffing minions to trade favourably), but without backstab it can be really rough sometimes.

In the case of flamestrike, you can sometimes spam a lot of minions in one turn and also play a vancleef - if they flamestrike, they won't have enough mana leftover to deal with vancleef, so they're forced to take a big hit from either vancleef or all of the smaller minions.

EDIT: A few other things worth noting - when you expect/are worried of your opponent AoEing soon, it's often better to trade a low health minion with theirs rather than kill it using a full health minion that would survive - ie, if the opponent has a 3/3 out, and you have a 3/1 and a 3/5, you'll often want to use the 3/1 instead of the 3/5, to keep the 3/5 at full health (so it can still survive a 2 damage AoE)

The other thing is that sometimes you'll be stuck in a turn where you don't really have any efficient plays. Sometimes it's better to just play cards inefficiently (for instance, playing a shattered sun cleric or dark iron dwarf with nothing to buff), rather than do nothing with the turn. Wasting mana is very bad. Similarly, if it comes to a choice of whether to play vancleef as a 4/4 or do pretty much nothing with 3 mana.. you should play Vancleef.

Using the hero power and saving it up however, is not a waste of mana - though it is a waste of mana using hero power if you're just using it to hit their face (most of the time).
Edited by Kithros on 10/27/2013 12:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hey Kithros, was the video capture software slowing down your game? Watching the video, especially near the end, the gameplay is really laggy, but the video is running fine.

Edit: Also maybe don't make videos more than an hour or so long, if you can help it. Makes it easier to watch and buffer.
Edited by Macheya on 10/27/2013 3:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Hey Kithros, was the video capture software slowing down your game? Watching the video, especially near the end, the gameplay is really laggy, but the video is running fine.

Edit: Also maybe don't make videos more than an hour or so long, if you can help it. Makes it easier to watch and buffer.

I didn't notice any lag while playing the game, so I'm not sure why it would start lagging later on in the video.

I've never really recorded stuff much before, so I'll try to keep them shorter in the future - I figured I didn't want it to be a small number of games so people wouldn't attribute it to just being a small sample size (to be honest it still is a pretty small sample size).
Reply Quote
Works perfectly.
As i notice huge advantage of this deck is that most opponent are not prepared(yo illidan) to see so many minions in rogue deck.
Also i got 1 cold blood since i don't have Thalnos (not bad swap, helps alot to clear smthn big or suddenly burst hero down with those +stat battlecry minions)

From diamond 1 to master with like 12-1 stat (1 loss to priest cause of my dumb fail, never let Master Swordsmith live more than 1 turn btw)

Thx alot for this deck, kinda fun to play.
Edited by Rekiem on 10/27/2013 6:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I was really, really skeptical of this deck. Tried all last night to make the miracle deck work, but without succes. This, however, has gotten me 11-0 so far with only one remotely close match.

Granted, my mmr has dropped from going like 12-12 with the miracle deck. But still.
Reply Quote
This is very simliar to my awesome Rogue deck that has gone like 30 - 2 in the last few days. I don't have as much card draw and have more spells. I tried this out, and both have their weakness and advantages.

This deck almost works for any hero (though Backstab and Eviserates, weapons work nicely with the rogue. I took this idea to my Druid and was having success as well with AOE and more spell damage.

Also, I think Black Knight needs to work it's way in there. It's almost always a game winner. 4/3 with a trade, realitivly low cost. Great when Priests mind control your taunt (from the defender guy that adds taunt).

I made that addition and the deck is really flowing. Though I don't have bloodmage legendary yet.
Reply Quote
Thanks been trying this and having great success with it..it's very fun to play and does very well so far. This is the first rogue build I've tried and lovin it.
Reply Quote
Same here, thank you for this deck. 9-1 until now, and the losing one was my mistake (predition blade effect on myself... /facepalm)
Reply Quote
I have about a 90% win rate with this deck so far in 3 star masters, amazing deck. One loss was against a mage who used 2 fireballs and a pyro against me, even though I had full board control the whole game (other 8-ish damage was from me attacking his minions early game, I guess I shouldn't do that against a mage). Another was from a hunter who got the unleash combo out on turn 4 (using 2 snakes alive from snake trap, had to attack cause needed minion damage to kill mukla) and did 24 damage, had no way to win after that, he had a very lucky hand.
Edited by ashkon77 on 11/2/2013 2:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I run a similar deck but without thalnos as I use sap instead in order to counter super buffed/tough minion that are too much to handle without assasinate in your deck such as priest or paladin using all their buff on a single minion.
Reply Quote
18-3 for now, as you said i had problem with super aggressive deck :(
Reply Quote
I've swapped out my perdition's blades for 2x harvest golems, and they've been performing really well for me.

Also, this deck just won a hearthstone tournament (with some sideboarding - especially when I got matched up against a warlock in the finals) : http://gamebattles.majorleaguegaming.com/pc/hearthstone-heroes-of-warcraft/tournament/managrind-hearthstone
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]