Card Draw + Minion Buffs Deck

Huh, had to do a bit of crafting, but got this deck put together minus the legendaries. Went 6-0 with a close match against a priest.

Any suggestions on replacement cards for the legendaries?

I went with the kobold geomancer and dire wolf alpha as the replacements.
Reply Quote
11/09/2013 12:07 PMPosted by Impossibru
Kithos whatd you think about Sylvanas? Over say 1 dwarf or 1 defender

Though I've never actually updated the OP (the video was using that deck), I've made a few changes to the deck since then - I've actually already added Sylvanas to the deck. The most recent version of the deck that I use replaced the 2x perdition's, 2x gnomish inventor and 1x defender of argus for 2x argent squire, 2x harvest golem and Sylvanas.

Huh, had to do a bit of crafting, but got this deck put together minus the legendaries. Went 6-0 with a close match against a priest.

Any suggestions on replacement cards for the legendaries?

I went with the kobold geomancer and dire wolf alpha as the replacements.

Geomancer isn't really a replacement for Thalnos - it's not really a spellpower deck, Thalnos is just a nice bonus. Geomancer isn't as efficient as Thalnos, and the deck doesn't hinge on spellpower by any means.

Some cards that I think are really good but never quite found space for:
Scarlet Crusader - very similar to harvest golem. Can (most of the time) be considered a 3/1 with a deathrattle of summon another 3/1 vs. harvest golem which has a 2/3 with deathrattle summon a 2/1.

Perdition's Blade - solid removal, but usually outclassed by deadly poison/backstab/SI:7. Still can be useful for when you run out/don't draw the other removal.

Argent Squire/Gnomish Inventor (depending on what version of the deck you're using since I replaced inventors for squires). Argent squires are actually really strong with the cleric or dwarf (for instance, playing a squire + dwarf is like playing a scarlet crusader + a 2 mana 4/4 - and that's not even counting using the buff the turn you get it).
Reply Quote
Thanks man, I appreciate the help.

I didn't have the crusader so I thought I'd try out a pint sized summoner. It has been really good early game, especially if I get the coin. Getting it out on turn one followed by a shattered sun cleric is putting the villain way behind.

Going to try the 2x squire now.
Edited by Woodberry on 11/9/2013 5:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
I also recommend if you don't have VanCleef/Thalnos to try Knife Juggler x2, it's a pretty damn good replacement.
Reply Quote
You end up learning that nothing is a replacement. :(
Reply Quote
I dont have bloodmage, should I use a novice engineer or something altogether?
I also dont have sylvannas, but can I use cairne bloodhoof?

how many defender of argus, dark iron dwarf do you have atm?
can you provide an update build please, thanks
Reply Quote
I went with harvest golem/squire for the replacements.

Managed to go from D1 to D3 last night with it. The decks I lost too were 1x Priest deck, 2x UTH decks, 1x Warlock/murlock deck, and a Pally deck that played heavy divine shield.

The priest loss was due to a mistake I made. The UTH losses were them unleashing about turn 8. The murlock deck was him getting the coin and putting out a stealth demon and murlock on turn one with me having bad luck on the draw.

The pally deck was interesting and it is the only time I have seen it. He had tons of divine shields and mid level minions. I simply couldn't keep up. Any advice on this?
Reply Quote
I find that if it gets to lategame and your opponent puts down a ysera/rag on board it's VERY difficult to win unless you manage to kill them in the next turn or two. You have no way of removing such big targets. Same goes for something like earth elemental. Tirion too.

So my question is: Would you consider adding in 1 assassinate into the deck.
Edited by Sanctum on 11/10/2013 4:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
Hi all, and thank you Kithros for this thread, i learned many things there.

But i got few questions :
-I started rogue few days ago and i tried to build a deck with card draw but i have some problems : i don't have like 50 % of the cards you use in your deck (SI7, drakes, edwin, thalnos).

-So i'm asking is there some cards i can switch and still get it working until i get these specific cards ?

- Or should i use a completely different deck until i get them ?

Thanks
Reply Quote
Great, Great deck. having a lot off success with it in 3 star masters.

I did not have either of the legendaries but you can replace them with just about anything. Personally I went with spiteful smith since I feel it helps buff the Rogues generally weak weapon power since the nerf. He doesn't always come in play but if you can use him it will give you a very efficient boost to your weapons.

I also went with a Cold Blood and I find this card you actually NEED for this deck. ITs perfect for trading since you will almost always have minions in play and it lets u trade with almost anything. Also this card works GREAT with your Argent commands as you can make them +8 attack with a divine shield which is very scary for your opponent and they will need to deal with it asap.

Overall though great job with this I will be playing with it for a long time! :)
Reply Quote
Great, Great deck. having a lot off success with it in 3 star masters.

I did not have either of the legendaries but you can replace them with just about anything. Personally I went with spiteful smith since I feel it helps buff the Rogues generally weak weapon power since the nerf. He doesn't always come in play but if you can use him it will give you a very efficient boost to your weapons.

I also went with a Cold Blood and I find this card you actually NEED for this deck. ITs perfect for trading since you will almost always have minions in play and it lets u trade with almost anything. Also this card works GREAT with your Argent commands as you can make them +8 attack with a divine shield which is very scary for your opponent and they will need to deal with it asap.

Overall though great job with this I will be playing with it for a long time! :)

ya cold blood can be nice with charger like commander; with leeroy may be interesting too; 10 attack for 5 mana haha.
Reply Quote
Yea i Actually have Leeroy and subbed him in earlier. Leeroy actually works wicked for rogues since you can hero power and backstab the two adds he spawns and then pray the other guy doesnt have a removal for him next turn ^_^
Reply Quote
I feel like if Lorewalker Cho goes in any deck, this 24 creature deck with the ability to buff up a creature's power would be the perfect one.
Since you can buff a creature's power you can choose when to suicide him and start casting spells.

Snig
Reply Quote
Kithros, thanks so much for posting your deck. I started playing this game only recently (But feel experienced in other TCGs) and your style of play here was totally up my alley. I invested into getting cards and went from unranked to 3 star GrandMaster in one sitting tonight (I played a lot of Practice to get a feel for the game over the last week). I won about 85% of my games and didn't feel any class or deck speed had an advantage on me.

Anyway, all that nonsense aside, I really like adaptable decks and decks that have the right amount of powerful gas (draw cards spells etc.) and of course good Battlecry Tricks and removal to surprise the opponent with. I found with your original version that I usually had many cards in hand by the end of the game, and the pace didn't feel quite right. I put in Loremaster Cho since this deck is so creature heavy, he's basically a full on silence for your opponent (and this deck's spells can be comfortable delayed). I also put in a King Mukla because this deck keeps the enemy board clean, it totally takes advantage of that and can be a low cost powerhouse (admittedly he is a little risky, but I've had fun with him, and he is low cost for combos).

I basically tried to add speed and add more answers to spell decks while also keeping more removal for myself.

Backstab x2
Deadly Poison x2
Eviscerate x2
Defias Ringleader x2
Knife Juggler x2
Loot Hoarder x2
Loremaster Cho x1
Perdition's Blade x1
Fan of knives x1
Edwin VanCleave x1
Harvest Golem x2
King Mukla x1
SI:7 Agent x2
Dark Iron Dwarf x2
Defender of Argus x2
Azure Drake x2
Sylvanus x1
Argent Commander x2

Thanks Kithros!
Reply Quote
How do you counter warlocks using imps? Especially if they get two of them, it just seems too hard to handle :(
Reply Quote
Never mind that last post.

Decided to write down my scores in an excel sheet. Played 27 matches so far today that I have recorded and I have 20 wins and 7 losses. I am far from a good player at all.
However what bothers me most are the 0-3 against mages. Only class I just keep losing to.
Got any tips? ^^
Reply Quote
Mages imo are harder because this deck focuses on efficient trading to control the board - but mages are spell reliant. They don't have many minions to efficiently trade against to begin with. I guess the best thing you can do against mages is to play aggro as best as you can to get them to a dangerous health and hope you can draw your eviscerates/argent commanders to finish them off
Reply Quote
Since I don't have any of the legionaries (Bloodmage Thalnos, Edwin VanCleef, Sylvanas Windrunner), this is the version I have been running. It has been very successful thus far.

0 Backstab x 2
1 Deadly Poison x 2
1 Argent Squire x 2
2 Eviscerate x 2
2 Defias Ringleader x 2
2 Loot Horder x 2
2 Novice Engineer x 2
3 Harvest Golem x 2
3 Perdition's Blade x 1
3 Scarlet Crusader x 1
3 SI:7 Agent x 2
4 Dark Iron Dwarf x 2
4 Defender of Argus x 2
5 Azure Drake x 2
6 Argent Commander x 2

Swapping Argent Squires for Gnomish Inventors was a big improvement for me. It really helped with the pacing/tempo. To often I wasn't able to establish myself on the board early and got stuck with buff minions/combo cards with nothing to buff/not enough mana to combo... and I'd fall behind early game. Divine shield helps establish early board presence and the 1 mana cost gives more early combo options.

The biggest issue the deck has now is dealing with large minions. Generally thou against decks that run them, I tend to be far enough ahead that I can power thru with an unfavorable trade or two and win.
Edited by xhunt3r on 11/28/2013 4:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
Hello :) !

Didn't have legendaries too so i decided to keep the same deck (argent squire version) and add 2 Shadowsteps.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilder/rogue#87:2;128:2;280:2;286:2;382:2;386:2;395:2;417:2;434:2;435:2;463:2;471:2;473:2;542:2;550:2;

The idea behind this is to empower the deck (which is already perfect in my opinion) by allowing huge turn 1 plays (especially if you have the coin) like coin / Defias / Shadowstep / Defias, double the card draw (novice ing / Azure drake) , doubles buffs if needed (Iron Dwarf, Cleric & Argus) for example if you want to reach the "4 attack cap" against a priest or you need to give more hp to a minion to save him next turn (1 mana cleric, since you don't always have the dwarf to add +2 attack on a 2 attack minion,the cost remains the same / 3+1 / except it also adds 2 HP) and finally save argent commanders (so you have another charge with divine shield). This is a basic explanation, you can actually do way more things with Shadowstep.

Everything listed here is very situationnal, but it can make a huge difference and i felt it really made the deck better (at least for me, especially when you need to adapt) since for me this spell just synergizes so well with the original deck. Hope it will help and thanks to the OP for this, having a lot of fun using it! (Playing at 3 stars masters)
Edited by nOkhs on 11/29/2013 5:16 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]