Priest Discussion: Are they OP?

(Locked)

My problem is the combo of SW:P, SW:D, and MC. SW:P removes my 4 mana, 5 health senjin shield master? Really? There's no way to counter play where you can't keep minions on the board because the opponent's removal cards are so prevalent and cost efficient. Between those 6 cards (2 of each), the board domination is too much.
I don't claim to be an expert; however, Priests seem to have an element of a problem that affect numerous games (and are notoriously hard to balance around short of a rework). They are either extremely OP in the right situations or completely UP in the wrong ones. There is very little middle ground, they are generally borderline unbeatable or just fodder.
That is frustrating for both players as you have rather limited control of the game.

Having too many gimmicky abilities is the cause of this in other games. These abilities are either massively strong in the right situation or hilariously weak, meaning that you either ROFLSTOMP or be a punching bag.
11/16/2013 11:29 PMPosted by Slithan
My problem is the combo of SW:P, SW:D, and MC. SW:P removes my 4 mana, 5 health senjin shield master? Really? There's no way to counter play where you can't keep minions on the board because the opponent's removal cards are so prevalent and cost efficient. Between those 6 cards (2 of each), the board domination is too much.

If you're going to give only optimum scenarios, of course everyone's removal spells are efficient (Kill Command and Eviscerate, among others). But that's why an all-purpose deck should incorporate some slightly specialized cards that are simply OK in other scenarios. Chillwind Yeti trades excellently with almost everything that can be on the board around turn 4, while also being extremely annoying for a Priest deck. Faerie Dragon avoids SW:P entirely and is excellent at forcing trades or the use of better removal cards to nullify against every archetype. Harvest Golem laughs at removal and comes back as a damage-efficient minion. Board clear spells and cheap/efficient taunt cards both deal with rushdown decks and help someone to stabilize. Hell, you can't tell me you don't use Ooze as a strong trading creature when you're against a deck that doesn't have weapons.

None of this is really even Priest-specific. I would run these cards against any number of other decks and win just as easily for other reasons.
Mind control needs to be removed. Its a +1 card (TAKES a card) that is vital in Arena. Just lost to one with 4 mind controls.

There is no "counter" to it in arena.
OP: TLDR

Yes priests are overpowered, it's just ridiculous.

Not even just mind control, the whole class needs to be re worked.

Cards like 'double a minions health' are a bit silly, especially when there is the possibility of having multiples of them.

Edit: Also just to add, there is probably a reason why 50% of the people I play against in ranked are priests..
Edited by AiEmpire on 11/24/2013 3:18 PM PST
OP: TLDR

Yes priests are overpowered, it's just ridiculous.

Not even just mind control, the whole class needs to be re worked.

Cards like 'double a minions health' are a bit silly, especially when there is the possibility of having multiples of them.

Edit: Also just to add, there is probably a reason why 50% of the people I play against in ranked are priests..

This is why priests are dominating the Managrind/MLG tournaments, right?
Oh, whats that?
Mages, Rogues and Warlocks are the decks winning tournaments?
What about Priest? Only two priest decks even made it to the top 4 in the last 6 events?
Why are we nerfing Mind Control again?
If anything priests need a buff, you will understand when you hit masters.
Priest is mightily op and need a huge nerf
Edited by Bialy on 12/22/2013 7:32 PM PST
The problem with Mind Control is that the mechanic currently allows you to remove a 10 cost card and play one in the same turn. That is the ONLY reason that it is a broken mechanic. Changing the card cost will have 0 effect on that part of the issue.

With that being said, here are a couple of ideas:

1. Limit the strength of the minion you can use it against (let's say 5 attack) and lower the cost to the same. This would still have an effect on late game strategy. This would also allow you to MC a buffed minion that has 12+ health or attack.

or

2. How about making Mind Control work like it does in WoW? If I'm out of body, I can't use my other spells or abilities. While I have control of your minion, I can't attack with anything else or play any cards. Lower the cost back to
6 or 7. Suddenly, the card becomes as situational as it is in WoW, it has an advantage for the priest, but can be realistically countered by any well built deck.

I know someone has a better idea, but let's find a solution instead of just pointing out what's wrong.
Their ability is annoying. Mages have just 1 damage. Hunters have 2 damage. OK, they deal it only to the enemy hero. But priests heal with 2 points anything. Why is this fair?
08/26/2014 01:41 AMPosted by Specter
Their ability is annoying. Mages have just 1 damage. Hunters have 2 damage. OK, they deal it only to the enemy hero. But priests heal with 2 points anything. Why is this fair?

Because healing is less valuable than damage. Compare something like Earthen Ring Farseer to SI:7 agent. Both 3 mana 3/3's, one does 3 healing, the other does 2 damage and only if you combo it (& class cards are supposed to be more powerful than neutrals). Or Healing Touch - 8 healing for 3 mana, while Fireball, one of the most powerful damage-dealing spells in the game, only does 6 damage for 4 mana. Healing does not help you close out the game, and is a lot more situational in usefulness.

Also, you do realise this is a thread from !@#$ing 2013, before the Mind Control nerf? Priests haven't been remotely OP since.
hell ya there OP the thing about priests is its the only heal class which seems small ohh its only 2 for two mana right. Ya not so much thy have the the most instant kills 4 flat out kills then the silences start to kill off your blow up creatures 2-10 of those, between creatures and spells. then you add tanking cards cheap, pain to get rid of over and over and over again. btw the heal is going on this entire time so now the prist has killed all your minions and still at 8-15 health if there worth there salt and so are you but with no heals coming, and there strongest spell is still coming up bam thy take your last big push to win with mind control. and the point is not can you counter any of this its a chance game and there chances are greater then yours just because thy have more more cards of what thy need then you.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]