Mayhem's Deck - Taking 1st place in ESL.HS

Nice deck in Masters 3, Probably 80% win rate so far without Archmage Antonidas. I substituted a Flamestrike which saved me quite a few games when I drew only creatures for the first 7 turns.
Reply Quote
great deck loving it so far thanks a lot!
Reply Quote
@ Haderach.

My pleasure,
Typically you would want to have follow-up on every turn, i'd Mulligan in order to have a 2 & 3 in hand, 2-2-3 preferably if i have the coin advantage. Despite Worgen being a good asset in the aggression, it doesn't matter wether it gets killed or not, forcing your opponents to sweat and make them do the important exchanges is what makes this deck so strong. Aggression isn't all about killing them fast, it's about forcing them out of their comfort zone. It's not an all-out aggressive deck, it's split between 70% aggression, 30% control which comes mainly from spells.

@AlsoMaintain

They are good replacements if you lean more towards control, i have actually been debating for myself wether to play Frost Nova or not, despite it not damaging or having the capability to get value, it's purpose would be used to be able to throw an extra turn of direct damage which could actually have more impact then an extra 2-3 drop. It all depends on consistency etc...

@Caleb

This deck is unlike most people might think.. Very hard to play. Since it's purpose is more early-midd game minded with Pyro as lategame win condition, you cannot afford to get outvalued. Which means losing 2 or 3 of your minions against an AOE spell could cost you the game. About Antonidas.. It is by no means neccesary to run. You could possibly exchange it for Hogger, Ragnaros, Leeroy, ... If you want more Worgen control i'd go for Hogger, if you want faster games and you're comfortable that you can make the right decisions, leeroy will be your best bet. Ragnaros is generally good for both aggressive and control so he'll be serving a more balanced purpose allthough i hate using him against priests.
Reply Quote
I have decided to fully commit to mage, the deck posted here works really well but i'm aiming to have it perfected. If i get my hands on more cards and be able to test things thoroughly i might come up with a different deck. I will keep people up to date with my changes in case they are made.
Reply Quote
Any suggestions against warriors/paladins/hunters who rush me down (in 3 star masters)? Seems like they have twice the removal (mostly through weapons) and endless minions.

Just lost against a warrior at turn 6-8 which has happened the last 5+ games vs them, all of them running the same build. Weapons and spells nullify all my minions. Any removal I have just delays it since I can't clear the board or get many minions or buffs out that early to change the momentum.
Edited by Caide on 10/31/2013 3:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
@Caide

It's hard having an answer to all decks out there since it'll turn into a mess and your deck becomes inconsistent. If you do however feel that you're winning 80% of your games against priest but only 20% against warriors, it might be worth switching out both cone of colds for either 2 oozes or 2 water elementals. As for hunters, you could swap out an azure drake, both arcane missles and the pyromancer for 2 mirror images, an auctioneer and another Amani beserker.
Edited by Mayhem on 10/31/2013 5:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
What cards do you generally just instant throw away at the start of the game, and which cards do you keep?
Edited by Angrysteel on 10/31/2013 8:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
10/31/2013 03:00 AMPosted by Mayhem
I have decided to fully commit to mage, the deck posted here works really well but i'm aiming to have it perfected. If i get my hands on more cards and be able to test things thoroughly i might come up with a different deck. I will keep people up to date with my changes in case they are made.

What cards are you thinking about replacing?
Reply Quote
Thoughts about changing Archmage Antonidas for Ragnaros/Ysera/Leeroy?
Reply Quote
I have been struggling getting wins with this deck at masters3. After 35-40 games, i would guess the win rate for me has been ~15%. The wins i do get are extremely close games.

Comparing this to my well over 100 games playing a pure control mage deck at masters3 with ~75-80% win rate.

It truly is a night and day difference between the decks / play style and i cant make this deck work at all. I have tried rushing with it, tried controlling til midgame to start dropping minions, just doesnt seem to matter what speed i try to play this deck, it just doesnt work for me.

Clearly people are having some success with this deck, but i dont see how. When playing another mage with a similar deck to this, they just get smashed.

The deck is stronger vs priests, i must say, but thats about it from my experience.
Reply Quote
I have been struggling getting wins with this deck at masters3. After 35-40 games, i would guess the win rate for me has been ~15%. The wins i do get are extremely close games.

Comparing this to my well over 100 games playing a pure control mage deck at masters3 with ~75-80% win rate.

It truly is a night and day difference between the decks / play style and i cant make this deck work at all. I have tried rushing with it, tried controlling til midgame to start dropping minions, just doesnt seem to matter what speed i try to play this deck, it just doesnt work for me.

Clearly people are having some success with this deck, but i dont see how. When playing another mage with a similar deck to this, they just get smashed.

The deck is stronger vs priests, i must say, but thats about it from my experience.

Same, im 90% win rate 3 star masters with my mage deck, tried this one out, went 0-4 -_- Maybe we just aren't used to the play style.
Reply Quote
Mage v Mage is decided in the opening hand like the OP states. I tried the deck out substituting Archmage Antonidas for Leeroy and using another Amani Berserker instead of Bloodmage Thalnos and I went 9-2 with it. Lost against only mages, and like I said, they had much better starting hands (at least I think so).

3* Master ofc.
Reply Quote
I'm a pretty high level player and find myself dismissing a lot of constructed decks out there but I actually really like this one. I'll make it when I get home and see what happens.

Only thing I would question is the polymorph. Poly is a pretty slow card in a really fast deck. At first glance I want to say I'd replace them with spellbreakers.

Thanks for the guide! Upvotes!

As a suggestion, I find one of the most important parts of a deck to explain is what cards you mulligan and don't mulligan at the start and why. A small section on that could help a lot of people understand what is important.
Edited by Iksar on 10/31/2013 3:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I have been playtesting a lot lately and have been able to gather valuable data.
It seems that a lot of people have adjusted to the meta-game, about 90% of the decks i face play heavy early game aggro with a ton of removal, the feeling i'm getting about the entire meta nowadays is that it all depends on who gets the superiour starting hand. Meaning most likely a 2-3 with a couple of removals and a constant flow of follow-up drops will be the game deciders.

I have been testing out a couple of new things including Jungle Panther & Scarlet Crusader which i think are both very great in this format, only exception being against Arcane Missles. Since most of my early and midd game gets stalled out by removal, i might consider running 2x acolyte for the draw advantage and eventually tech in 2x stranglethorn tigers instead of azure drakes.

I am most certainly going to remove Antonidas and sub it out for a Ragnaros. I think this format requires speed rather then setup, I lost my 2nd game at the tournament last night because i was facing a mage that stalled the game for 10-12 turns (CoC, Blizzard, Flamestrike, Removals, ...) and took advantage by card drawing power such as Novice, Loot Hoarder, Azure etc.. Just to clean it up with Pyro eventually. He sat at 16 HP for a couple of turns while i had both Antonidas and Pyro dead in hand. If that were to be replaced by a Rag, the game would've certainly be in my favour as i made the most valuable exchanges early-midd game.

There are still no guaranteed changes since i don't want to judge based on 2-3 classes, I will keep data incoming and share it with the rest of you.

Once i have more information, i will rework my thread.
Reply Quote
I find many picks in the main list pretty awful to be honest and also dont like the new idea you are coming up with: Jungle Panther and Scarlet Crusaders are both pretty bad in a deck mage imo. I agree antonidas should be replaced tough
Reply Quote
11/02/2013 03:06 AMPosted by Mayhem
2x stranglethorn tigers instead of azure drakes.

I run a pretty different, more control oriented deck, but just chiming in that I'm souring on the azure drakes as well. They are the archetypical 'good' drop but the more I look over my matches the more unimpressed I am with how much they do for me.

The card draw is nice, but I think raises the same questions as the engineer/hoarder. If you consider it an accelerator that gets you the next card you want quicker, then, why not just put in the card you actually want to see instead of it?

As for spell power, it's a 5 drop so if you're using it like a geomancer to combo with a spell you're going to be waiting a long time, possibly till the game is long decided. With a CoC that's turn 8, turn 10 if you're dropping a Blizzard along with it. If you're not comboing it with anything, you probably don't have the mana to do much else on that turn (same argument as arcane intellect) and are left open and sitting on a vulnerable taunt-less charge-less minion for a round at the mercy of your opponent.

As far 4-5 drops are concerned I've been much happier with the stormwind knight or spellbreaker, gives you a solid instant trade on your terms and leaves behind a body to possibly 2 for 1 next turn.
Edited by Myon on 11/2/2013 4:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Could you please make a gameplay with this deck ? Would be so awesome! Thanks.

btw: im having huge problems with priests, any tips?
Edited by Maker on 11/2/2013 11:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
11/02/2013 03:12 AMPosted by Shyntil
I find many picks in the main list pretty awful to be honest and also dont like the new idea you are coming up with: Jungle Panther and Scarlet Crusaders are both pretty bad in a deck mage imo. I agree antonidas should be replaced tough

Maybe he lacks the other cards but i fully agree. Scarlet cruader overall is a horrible card. Wolfrider is a better 3 drop than her.

Sun Cleric by far is the best 3 drop in the game right now.
Reply Quote

Maybe he lacks the other cards but i fully agree. Scarlet cruader overall is a horrible card. Wolfrider is a better 3 drop than her.

Sun Cleric by far is the best 3 drop in the game right now.

it depends on how u use scarlet...she trades pretty well in combat and is pretty good against most classes except for mages and maybe paladin in some cases

in general i'm not a fan of missles and pyromancer
missles are too random and terrible lategame...
pyro is an awkward drop thats good in some situations and terrible in others

i would definitely put oozes in the deck for 2 drops...it solves a lot of the bad trades with other aggro decks that have weapons - paladin, warrior, rogue in particular and sometimes hunters and shamans

antonidas should definitely be another pyro or leeroy...they are much more efficient in an aggro deck
ragnaros is much better in control decks as they have far superior board control...something i won't play in an aggro deck

for other 4/5 drops, i would recommend defender of argus, spellbreaker, stormwind knight, silverhand knight, or sylvanas
i really enjoy argus in the 4 drop as it plays out similarly to cleric to buff the 3 attackers out of SWP/D range, its also a great way to add taunts to the deck against aggro or combo without making it slow and clunky

finally, brewmaster is another 2 drop that is a good value card to reuse the battlecry/divine shield/charge effects from ooze/argus/leeroy/cleric/scarlet/drake/commander
Edited by xSkilling on 11/3/2013 5:09 AM PST
Reply Quote
I dont currently have antonidis what should I use as a temporary replacement?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]