Master Shaman Control - Top 3 N-ESL Cup Deck

Recently played in the N-ESL Beta Cup and placed in the Top 3 with this list.

Also took me to Masters quite easily.

Matches:
Round 1: Midrange Mage (Won 2-0)
Round 2: Paladin Control (Won) he then switched to Aggro Warrior (Won)
Round 3: Aggro Lock (Lost 1-2) this round I failed to draw any of my removal in game 2 and game 3 I got blown out by an infernal + double demonfire as his last 3 cards.
Round 4: UTH Hunter (Won 2-0)

The list:

2 Earth Shock
2 Forked Lightning
2 Lightning Bolt
1 Bloodmage Thalnos
1 Flametongue Totem
2 Feral Spirit
2 Hex
2 Lava Burst
2 Lightning Storm
2 Mana Tide Totem
2 Sen'jin Shieldmasta
1 Doomhammer
2 Azure Drake
2 Earth Elemental
1 Faceless Manipulator
2 Fire Elemental
1 Hogger
1 Ysera

The general idea is against almost every deck you want to aggressively mulligan into removal and taunters. Get in damage where you can but removal of their threats remains the highest of priorities even if it means trading creatures. Obviously every situation is different however mages are a special issue. You want a mix of threat and removal or their spells go to your face, all other classes for the most part you are fine with an all removal starting hand...it's even preferred.

I'll answer any questions you may have.
Reply Quote
Hey thanks for the deck list! I'm going to try it out the second i can. I just started playing a few days ago, and shaman has quickly become my favorite class. Unfortunately, I havent had much luck playing them because im lacking most of the removal spells. Once I have enough dust to craft them, im hoping things will turn around. You think we could play together so that you can give me some tips? Thanks!

#pianist1542
Reply Quote
Sure thing! Go ahead and add me, Hydrium#1304

I'll be offline for a bit...just message me whenever you see me on!
Reply Quote
Mother of God. I want to kill every mage so badly.
Reply Quote
11/03/2013 07:41 PMPosted by Kretek
Mother of God. I want to kill every mage so badly.

Against mages I generally become the aggressive one. You really cannot afford to just sit back and remove threats. You need to push them hard and let them blow their removal on your mediumish threats. Now this isn't to say you can let their creatures run wild...it really does rely on balancing out your threats and removal.
Reply Quote
Well, I've started to lose on everything with Shaman. I'm giving it a rest for tonight, but it will really have to step it up to be my main deck. At the moment, my Druid control deck !@#$s all over the record for my Shaman, which frustrates me greatly. Hope it turns around. Tired of being top decked.
Reply Quote
11/03/2013 08:51 PMPosted by Kretek
Well, I've started to lose on everything with Shaman. I'm giving it a rest for tonight, but it will really have to step it up to be my main deck. At the moment, my Druid control deck !@#$s all over the record for my Shaman, which frustrates me greatly. Hope it turns around. Tired of being top decked.

Losing streaks will happen. I've hit bad streaks but over time things will even out depending on where you are and what you play. Generally speaking though I can say Shaman has been by far the best deck I've played. Of course this is highly subjective, how much you enjoy something impacts how well you play it too.
Reply Quote
What are your thoughts on using either Stormforged Axe, Acidic Swamp Ooze, or even Faerie Dragon? I have a similar deck to yours and love the play style! I run with 1 Doomhammer and 2 Stormforged Axes. I love having weapons, but I seem to only ever use the Stormforged Axes because they're good and the cost of Doomhammer always seems to be too much to where I spend the mana on elementals, drakes, or just removal spells.
Reply Quote
Can you explain in details the gameplay? Thanks
Reply Quote
Why Earth Shock? I run Shaman Control as well and would much rather play a silence battlecry than an Earth Shock. Also, the same issues as the other control deck listed- an absurd amount of Legendaries IMO. Hoow often are you landing these legendaries and having them stick for more than one round?
Reply Quote
Any suggestions for card swaps if I don't have Ysera/Hogger? The other neutral legendaries I've gotten include: Deathwing, Ragnaros, Gruul, and Loremaster Cho.

I really enjoy Shaman, just seems like I am getting myself continually handed to me @ 3 star diamond
Edited by Vanderbilt on 11/4/2013 11:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
Why do you even play earth elemental?

It is so bad. There is much better options at 5,6,7, and 8 mana drops that don't overload you. Otherwise, this is basically a traditional shaman control deck. :P

Ysera and hogger are not needed in anyway. I play this in 3*Masters and win about 70%~ of my games.

http://i.imgur.com/kTYmUbI.png

I do think Blood mage is a shamans best friend (Along with many other classes) so he is worth building if you can.

Either way, congrats to the OP!
Reply Quote
11/04/2013 11:09 AMPosted by Arcadence
Why Earth Shock? I run Shaman Control as well and would much rather play a silence battlecry than an Earth Shock. Also, the same issues as the other control deck listed- an absurd amount of Legendaries IMO. Hoow often are you landing these legendaries and having them stick for more than one round?

Earth shocks > Owl, and at mid-late game you should not need a spellbreaker.
Reply Quote

How are you liking only have 13 Monsters? And Since I don't have Bloodmage I don't have a chance to test it, but what situations do you summon it? I'm assuming never on turn 2?
Reply Quote
Lot's of questions, let's go!

11/04/2013 09:57 AMPosted by Jettah
What are your thoughts on using either Stormforged Axe, Acidic Swamp Ooze, or even Faerie Dragon? I have a similar deck to yours and love the play style! I run with 1 Doomhammer and 2 Stormforged Axes. I love having weapons, but I seem to only ever use the Stormforged Axes because they're good and the cost of Doomhammer always seems to be too much to where I spend the mana on elementals, drakes, or just removal spells.

I hated Stormforged Axe, I always felt like there we better plays when I had it. Only when I had absolutely nothing to do did I ever play it and even then I didn't particularly care for it. Doomhammer drops some elemental fury on people. I will say though the weapons are secondary plays to anything else you might have. Hence why I only run one, I really never want to draw more than that.

11/04/2013 11:09 AMPosted by Arcadence

Earthshock has been an all-star for me. When you need a silence it's amazing and when you hit an unlucky 2 when you wanted a 3 or 3 when you wanted a 4 on LStorm. Also when I drop my Legends they tend to stick for awhile. I can generally tell what removal my opponents have in their hand based around how they've played so far. Also I don't just chuck my legends down as soon as I can. I fight through their removal with elementals, taunters and the other general beaters in the deck. It takes a LOT of removal to deal with what this deck can churn out in a short period so generally I'll drop a legend when I think it's safe and 90% of the time I'm right. If the legends in these decks survive for two turns they've already swung the balance in my favor heavily. Even still, burnt removal on legendaries usually takes multiples and both Ysera and Hogger are almost automatically 2 for 1's at least. Bloodmage is just a reliable spellpower buff for when I need to storm or bolt something. Then they always remove it quick and I get a free card back turning it into a 1 for 0. Card advantage is what these legends give and they give it in spades even if they don't survive a turn.

Any suggestions for card swaps if I don't have Ysera/Hogger? The other neutral legendaries I've gotten include: Deathwing, Ragnaros, Gruul, and Loremaster Cho.

I really enjoy Shaman, just seems like I am getting myself continually handed to me @ 3 star diamond

You can throw a Rag in this deck quite easily. Ysera is hard to replace because there are so few true card advantage powerhouses in this game, Ysera ends games before your opponent even knows they've lost. It's like Jace in Magic. They played a Jace and you know you lost but you can't concede because you haven't technically lost but the card advantage provided by Jace just meant it was already over you're just going through the motions. That's what Ysera is in this game. You can replace Hogger with any generic taunt creature honestly or anything else 4 powered.

Keep at it, this deck is all about early removal and taunts. This deck is not concerned with beating in for damage, it's looking at the long game almost every time. I make it 10 mana almost 90% of the time and then some but I can guarantee you I'm at 10 mana with 25+ life more often than not. Burn your removal, don't sit on it unless the board is stalled out and you're under no pressure just so you can storm even more creatures away. Bolt high priority targets early, lava burst the big guys. Save Hex unless you ABSOLUTELY HAVE to use it. Hex is your catch all against giant bombs. Always keep one removal spell in hand, it's the one that saves your life. Mulligan into removal heavily. Shock, Bolt, Storm is a great opener. Bolt, Bolt, Burst makes me euphoric.

Why do you even play earth elemental?

It is so bad. There is much better options at 5,6,7, and 8 mana drops that don't overload you. Otherwise, this is basically a traditional shaman control deck. :P

Ysera and hogger are not needed in anyway. I play this in 3*Masters and win about 70%~ of my games.

I do think Blood mage is a shamans best friend (Along with many other classes) so he is worth building if you can.

Either way, congrats to the OP!

Earth Elemental is a powerhouse in this deck, he's done more work for me than fire elemental or shieldmasta combined. Overload is an easy mechanic to play around because for the most part all you want to cast is removal anyways and it's cheap as hell. I'm overloaded pretty much every round it feels like and it doesn't bother me...when over half your spells are undercosted anyways overload doesn't hurt. Sometimes being overloaded is a burden but that's why this deck has so many taunts and removal. You're supposed to turtle it up, this deck is a rock not a tempo gainer.

You're right that Ysera and Hogger aren't required but with the amount of wins that come from both of them...especially if you faceless manip them. Yea, I couldn't imagine playing this deck with that kind of handicap. You don't need them but why would you want to do without them? They are unbelievably reliable and just end games if they aren't dealt with.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the replies^^ If I had to craft one of the legendaries first, would you suggest Hogger or Ysera? From your description on Ysera, I am leaning towards her.
Reply Quote
You also played against 0 priests...
Reply Quote
11/04/2013 05:56 PMPosted by Ogrumz
You also played against 0 priests...

Probably because priests just aren't all that special.

They have efficient removal and a card that kills idiots, that's about it.

Any other special tricks they have are effectively handled by a taunter or silence, other than that they just play the same vanilla creatures every other deck does and those are handled by the removal suite that handles the rest.

11/04/2013 05:53 PMPosted by Vanderbilt
Thanks for the replies^^ If I had to craft one of the legendaries first, would you suggest Hogger or Ysera? From your description on Ysera, I am leaning towards her.

Definitely Ysera, Hogger can have a placeholder put in pretty easily, Ysera is a beast all on her own.
Edited by Hydrium on 11/4/2013 7:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
I just went ahead and bought 15 packs but only got 1 legendary. Is The Black Knight worth running?
Reply Quote
@Hydrium A great deck!
Thank you for your experience. All choices are great and i have ~ 90% win rate in 2 star masters.

I tried Malygos and it's excelent! You drop it on 10 and can kill your opponent with lightning bolt for 8-10 damage, kill annoing minion with earth shock for 6-7 damage the turn Malygos comes to play!

If it survives next turn you can coppy him and instakill opponent with 15 damage from lava burst. Or cast 2 lava burst for 20! Did you try it instead of Ysera?

@all this deck has so great threats - earth elemental and fire elemental, your opponents have to hex, sheep them to survive and they remain with no removal for your legendaries as a result.

What's about Flametongue Totem ? Sometimes it helps but it seems we can try to find a better option...
Edited by Shadowfax on 11/4/2013 11:33 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]