Master Shaman Control - Top 3 N-ESL Cup Deck

http://i.imgur.com/kTYmUbI.png

How are you liking only have 13 Monsters? And Since I don't have Bloodmage I don't have a chance to test it, but what situations do you summon it? I'm assuming never on turn 2?

It is more than 13 monsters, cause you got to count totems as effective monsters with flametongues and such.

This deck is my most consistent deck. Shamans only win alot as control, which means you play less creatures. I think most of the legendaries are not worth it outside of blood mage, or maybe hogger/Alex.

Blood lust is a replace-able card cause it is win more ALOT of the time. I really need to stop working when tournaments are going on so I can test it in a tournament.
Reply Quote
Lot's of questions, let's go!

You missed one :)
Reply Quote
@Hydrium A great deck!
Thank you for your experience. All choices are great and i have ~ 90% win rate in 2 star masters.

I tried Malygos and it's excelent! You drop it on 10 and can kill your opponent with lightning bolt for 8-10 damage, kill annoing minion with earth shock for 6-7 damage the turn Malygos comes to play!

If it survives next turn you can coppy him and instakill opponent with 15 damage from lava burst. Or cast 2 lava burst for 20! Did you try it instead of Ysera?

@all this deck has so great threats - earth elemental and fire elemental, your opponents have to hex, sheep them to survive and they remain with no removal for your legendaries as a result.

What's about Flametongue Totem ? Sometimes it helps but it seems we can try to find a better option...

Glad to hear you're enjoying the deck and running it well!

Malygos was the original dragon I ran however running with him felt restrictive because I always felt like holding back some spells just for Maly. He's absolutely fine to run and if he's working for you then by all means keep playing him as there's nothing wrong with him, just a minor playstyle difference.

Flametongue is the only card in the deck I'm hit or miss on currently. Sometimes it performs great and brings some decent offense and forces them to kill it with a spell or with a creature and in essence it's a gain life spell. Other times he just sits in my hand while wait for them to stop clearing my board. I've considered changing it out for a Windfury but I haven't actually gotten around to testing out that change. I feel like Windfury would be a good swap and I really need to make the change lol. I'll probably do it once I log in again today.

11/04/2013 08:02 PMPosted by Mooreo
I just went ahead and bought 15 packs but only got 1 legendary. Is The Black Knight worth running?

Sure, you can run the Knight! He might be a bit restrictive in terms of usefulness since you already have tons of removal in the deck but one more piece never hurts. Honestly if I could I would add in 3 more bolts, storms, shocks and bursts.
Edited by Hydrium on 11/5/2013 7:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/04/2013 10:01 AMPosted by Medivh
Can you explain in details the gameplay? Thanks

Sorry about missing this one.

This is an easy and hard question to answer.

Basically against every deck but mage you want to mulligan into heavy amounts of removal.

Starting the game with 3-4 cards of removal is not only fine but also preferable.

For most parts of the game you are more concerned with removing threats than beating in for damage. Keeping board control is what this deck excels at and as the saying goes when you're ahead get more ahead. Once you feel like you have stable board control start applying heavy pressure and start tearing through their removal. Expect most of your creatures to have a shelf life of one to two turns max but the amount of card advantage they should gain you will put you even further ahead. This deck was designed to have hard to remove creatures in place that tend to snowball out of control if left alive.

Drop mana tide early, sometimes it only cycles as they waste a choice removal card on it but other times it lives for a few turns and just wins you the game on its own. Now this isn't to say that you should drop it onto an unfavorable board position but if you have a taunter down or they have no creatures that can kill it then go for it.

Mages are special in that if you don't play aggressive against them then their spells go to your face and they *will* burn you out faster then you kill them. You still want removal against them but you want an equal part of threats to drop so they are always burning their spells on your creatures instead of your face. Against mages I'll drop legends without worry about having them live.

Warlocks...bleh if they are the hyper aggressive variant will give you fits sometimes. You have to draw extremely well against warlocks sometimes as they have the juice to power through your removal since most of their creatures are very low costing and they can boost their life easily. I'm currently looking to strengthen this deck against them without removing too much against all the other classes.
Reply Quote
Thank you very much :)
Reply Quote
What are you thinking of playing both Yesera and Malygos? I'm thinking of removing doomhammer...
The reson is that it cost's 5 for 5-6 you have great cards - elementals! Most often I use hammer to kill my opponent but not for creature removal. So in this case maybe second end game legendary could me more efficient? Our main aim is to survive early and mid game. So we need to have 99% chance to win endgame, I think that second top legendary makes your chance higher.
Reply Quote
Thank you again so much for this deck. It has made me confidant in my Shaman again and I've actually been able to get on some nice winning streaks. It took a little bit to get used to having to hold a hand of removal but once I got used to it, it's been a blast.

Also I had a game where I didn't need to use 1x lightning bolt or either flame burst and was able to deal 19 damage in a turn to finish them with just spells, was a wonderful feeling^^
Reply Quote
Interesting points about Earth Shock, I may try running it in my Shaman Control....As far as you being on the fence about Flametongue, run Bloodlust. You will get much more use out of BL than Flametongue, I promise you that.
Reply Quote
@Ogrumz How to steal Ek0p's deck.

GZ dude.
Edited by Eagan on 11/8/2013 12:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
I think it's a nice deck, but I think something you should understand is the majority of people that even glance at the forums to look for a new deck are 'usually' new players. That said, my point is your deck is quite... Demanding, as far as legendarys go, and most new players just wont have em'.

I'd suggest a runner-up list. Specifically for:

11/03/2013 01:44 PMPosted by Hydrium
Bloodmage Thalnos

Faceless Manipulator

Hogger

Ysera
Reply Quote
Sorry I've missed out on this thread for a bit guys, busy life lol.

Anyways let's get crackin shall we?

I think it's a nice deck, but I think something you should understand is the majority of people that even glance at the forums to look for a new deck are 'usually' new players. That said, my point is your deck is quite... Demanding, as far as legendarys go, and most new players just wont have em'.

I'd suggest a runner-up list. Specifically for:

Bloodmage Thalnos

Faceless Manipulator

Hogger

Ysera

I agree wholeheartedly that this deck is not for the brand new, the difficult thing is that finding budget friendly choices for 3 of the 4 cards on this list is extremely difficult.

Bloodmage is a reliable spellpower totem for that creature that just has 1 more toughness than you can kill and will replace himself as soon as he dies.

Faceless Manipulator is a clone...there are no other clones.

Ysera is *THE* card advantage beast of the entire game. Honestly she is one of the most powerful cards you can play and her power is deceptive because people just look and say...oh it's a 4/12 do nothing. Then you draw your 4 mana 7/6 or your 3 mana 3/5 shroud or your 2 mana +5 damage or your 0 mana deal 5 damage to everything BUT ysera or your 0 mana bounce spell that can reset Ysera if she was silenced.....it just doesn't end.

Hogger can easily be replaced however, he's a little bit of a win more card.

But they can and will have to be replaced by people who do no own said cards so let's look at some options.

Replace Bloodmage with Kobold Geomancer...actually I would replace Hogger and Bloodmage with two of these.

Actually I'm probably putting two in my deck regardless.

Windfury Harpy is a great beater, I would probably replace her with Ysera and Faceless Manipulator.

Basically you're looking for mid-range control cards that will see to it that you will make it to the end game.

11/06/2013 01:33 PMPosted by Arcadence
Interesting points about Earth Shock, I may try running it in my Shaman Control....As far as you being on the fence about Flametongue, run Bloodlust. You will get much more use out of BL than Flametongue, I promise you that.

Bloodlust is highly out of place in this deck as we're not trying to beat in for damage and they can't use a removal spell on bloodlust which is what flametongue does, I'd rather switch flametongue out for Windfury before bloodlust with this deck. I've been playing around with Ancestral Spirit and I'm actually liking it but it's very specific and kind of narrow so it's most likely not sticking around.

In all honesty I'm probably putting in Emperor Cobra. Handles any and all threats pretty easily.

What are you thinking of playing both Yesera and Malygos? I'm thinking of removing doomhammer...
The reson is that it cost's 5 for 5-6 you have great cards - elementals! Most often I use hammer to kill my opponent but not for creature removal. So in this case maybe second end game legendary could me more efficient? Our main aim is to survive early and mid game. So we need to have 99% chance to win endgame, I think that second top legendary makes your chance higher.

Malygos was the original dragon I ran with, found him lacking because it changes the playstyle of the deck. Now you're trying to save spells in hand for when you can drop malygos. He wasn't bad but he wasn't what I was looking for, he tended to want a more aggressive styled deck. However if you're having luck running them both then by all means please continue to do so!
Reply Quote
Wouldn't Sylvanas Windrunner be better than Faceless Manipulator ?It has better stats too.
Reply Quote
11/09/2013 08:55 AMPosted by PainKiller
Wouldn't Sylvanas Windrunner be better than Faceless Manipulator ?It has better stats too.

She requires your opponent to be bad and has a high element of random to her, generally two things competitive decks try to avoid.
Reply Quote
I really hate forked lightning, I don't see how anyone could use that card ever.

It's 2 dmg to 2 minions for essentially 4 mana. Multishot does the same thing for 3 dmg. On top of that you can't even use it unless your enemy has 2 minions on the field, I just fail to see its control.
Reply Quote
I really hate forked lightning, I don't see how anyone could use that card ever.

It's 2 dmg to 2 minions for essentially 4 mana. Multishot does the same thing for 3 dmg. On top of that you can't even use it unless your enemy has 2 minions on the field, I just fail to see its control.

Hyper aggressive decks are extremely common hence it's inclusion.

I will agree that it is the least favored of all the burn spells however even bad removal is still removal especially when coupled with spellpower.
Reply Quote
Re: warlock hyper-aggro (murloc, anyway), you might try Abomination, even just a singleton. I've been seeing a lot of these decks the last few days, so I swapped one Taz'dinga out for one Abom, and we'll see how it plays tonight. The 5-vs-4 cost is iffy with the mana curve, but it'd wreck a murloc army if you take out the +health one with a lightning or burst.

Though now that I think more about it - I suppose a minion at 1 hp stays at 1 hp, even after the blood imp dies in that same aoe blast, in my experience... so perhaps not as useful afterall. It was some fun to have on the board and mess with UtH hunter decks though.

And regarding your Windfury for Flametongue swap - I'm using Rag instead of Ysera, due to what's available, and it occurred to me just how dirty it'd be to drop Rag, and then the next turn Earth Shock and Windfury him. Not something to "plan" for, but if the stars ever aligned...
Edited by Tengaaris on 11/15/2013 3:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
Ogrumz, I added a Ragnaros, and the totem that allows you to draw a card at the end of each turn, to your deck list, instead of the 2 fire elementals (which I didn't have), and I have yet to lose (Also 3-star master).
Reply Quote
After seeing this thread, I decided to build this deck instead of the weird half-assed one I was using beforehand. I was lucky enough to already have some of the key cards, and then have pulled a couple of the others (1 Earth Elemental, 1 Faceless Manipulator). I'm currently 3 cards short of your exact list, missing Thalnos, Hogger, and a 2nd Earth Elemental - in their place I am using a Kobold Geomancer, Ragnaros (which will probably stay in, tbh) and a Sunwalker (I'm 190 dust away from my 2nd EE).

I've only played around 10 games so far with the deck as I've been building it up, and have been doing so in unranked to get a feel for the deck before jumping into 3* Diamond, where my Priest deck has currently got me. Whilst it's nothing to crow about, I've comfortably won all those games, and I have to say, it's hella fun to play. Once I craft my 2nd EE, I'm going to jump into ranked and see how it holds up, but given just how strong it's been so far, I imagine it should fair at least decently. Thanks for the build!
Reply Quote
I seriously love playing shaman control. Playing it is so freaking fun; its like all cozy up inside a fortress while raining fire and lightning on my foes head...

The only thing I feel that the Sham control play-style is missing is some healing...

There are so many games I loose because I die like literally 1 turn from establishing control-or I'll die after gaining control do to a random fireball or other DD that ignores taunt...

I never really played Shaman too much in Wow but aren't they supposed to be excellent healers as well?

Even if the Healing Totem change was reverted back to it's previous incarnation that little 2-4 life you gained over the course of the game was awesome...
Reply Quote
Really good deck, played about 30 games with it and a good all around deck.

I don't have ysera or hogger but I imagine it be even better if I did
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]