Unleash the Hounds Problem

Seriously. I know there are thousands of "nerf Unleash the Hounds QQ" topics, and I can't help but add one.

My complaint isn't even about the combo UtH decks. It's more about the card itself rather than the whole deck. I run a Mage control deck, and even with the maximum amount of control, it's impossible to contain this card.

I'm dominating the game and then suddenly there are 3-4 random creatures + UtH, say...
Bloodfen Raptor 4 dmg 2 mana
Starving Buzzard 3 dmg 2 mana
Stranglehorn Tiger 6 dmg 5 mana

Not even a combo UtH deck, just a normal Hunter deck with 2x UtH in it.

That's 13 damage right there, nearly half of my hp. Add the amount of Steady Shots and Explosive Traps which happened until this point and that's well around 20+ damage. Provided that I get rid of all these creatures by next turn since I run a control deck, or even if I don't get rid of them, provided that I freeze them until I can get rid of them, I'm still on a 4-5 turn clock just with Steady Shot, not even counting the probability of him drawing another Unleash.

If another Unleash is drawn, basically the game is over in 2 turns no matter how much you control the entirety of the game.

Someone is gonna come and say "Play Aggro deck then", as if Explosive Trap/Multi Shot/Expl Shot/Snipe doesn't counter that.

Now let's look at the card by itself and ignore all the examples above.
1 Mana, Common, Capable of giving Charge & +1 Attack to 7 minions.
That'd be 3.5 minions + 3.5 Attack on an average case for 1 Mana.

Let's look at other cards which give damage and/or charge.
Warsong Commander - 3 Mana - Probably gonna get nuked first turn
Charge - 0 Mana - Gives Charge to one creature, no attack bonus. You're not going to get one shot by a single creature in the middle of the game in all honesty.
Bloodlust - 5 Mana - 3 Attack to every creature. 4 Mana difference for 2 Attack ONLY and no Charge.

Point being, Unleash the Hounds is overpowered because you have NO chance to react to it. I don't know what they were thinking when they made this card. I don't think the designers realize that this game doesn't work the same way as Magic the Gathering or anything does. You can literally see this card coming, you can know that the player has it in their hand, combo deck or not, and still lose to it.

My suggestions for fixing the card :
Add one mana cost for each creature buffed. (ex; 5 mana for 4 creatures)
Change the mana cost to 5 mana. (Bloodlust is 5 mana, and even at this point it'll still be a better card than BL, obviously Charge is more valued than 2 attack, especially as a Hunter, if you know anything about this game.)
Make it single target. (Most reasonable change, given that it's a common card, and given that other classes have "similar" cards which are only single target such as Blessing of Might or Inner Rage/Charge)

Inb4 "YOU PLAY MAGE, MAGE IS OP TOO WHY DO YOU QQ", Mage is only "OP" if you don't know what you're doing. If you go ahead and play 5 creatures at once against a control Mage deck with 2 Blizzards, 2 CoC, 2 FN, 2 FS, then it's your own fault. Yes, Mage could be superior compared to many other classes at the moment, but at least you can react to it by not playing 5 minions at once or something.

Inb4 "PLAY TAUNT YOU MORON" Play the worst mechanic in the game to supposedly counter one of the 9 classes in the game, which won't even happen because it's simply going to get removed by Deadly Shot or Explosive Shot.
Reply Quote
You are totally legit. Just hope they delete it from the game soon or change it drastically.
Reply Quote
11/02/2013 02:26 PMPosted by Xithylqt
Someone is gonna come and say "Play Aggro deck then", as if Explosive Trap/Multi Shot/Expl Shot/Snipe doesn't counter that.

Please, it's not like EVERY starting hand has Snipe (you get around it with Harvesters, btw)

Explosive trap, i'm not gonna deny it, it's very powerful against aggro except lock aggro (which is the only type of aggro there should be, imo)

Multishot / Explosive Shot are 4-5 cost cards, most UTH decks don't even run them (or run a SINGLE copy of Multishot), there's a reason why this deck has a NIGHTMARISH time against aggrodeck.

(The reason behind no Explosive it's because control decks don't tend to run many minions, it has a HUMUNGUS cost of 5, AND against a real aggro deck, you are already dead by then)

Change the mana cost to 5 mana. (Bloodlust is 5 mana, and even at this point it'll still be a better card than BL, obviously Charge is more valued than 2 attack, especially as a Hunter, if you know anything about this game.)

Hahaha, oh wow ok. No, anything above 2 cost would literally make the card unplayable, and argurably the worst card in the game. I mean why would this card still give charge when its absurd cost is pretty much counterintuitive?

And let's be honest, the real broken is not on UTH itself, but on the Dragonhawk, Windfury is an obscenely powerful ability for an ONE COST BEAST.

Make it single target.

While i oppose to the idea of changing this card to an useless, inferior incarnation, i won't oppose to moving the "Charge" component to Bestial Wrath and (maybe) trading inmunity for Windfury (if this change happens, i wouldn't mind it's cost increased to 2-3) and removing UTH from existance so we can actually play Hunters as they are ment to.

Brewgiants says Hi, 32 damage on a 5 card combo, for 7 mana.
Edited by Sharpshooter on 11/2/2013 9:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
"PLAY TAUNT YOU MORON" Play the worst mechanic in the game to supposedly counter one of the 9 classes in the game

Nvm, just realized this is a trollpost.

That, or you are a complete fricken moron, which wouldn't surprise me since UTH works against morons to begin with.
Reply Quote
11/02/2013 09:10 PMPosted by Sharpshooter
"PLAY TAUNT YOU MORON" Play the worst mechanic in the game to supposedly counter one of the 9 classes in the game

Nvm, just realized this is a trollpost.

That, or you are a complete fricken moron, which wouldn't surprise me since UTH works against morons to begin with.

Not a trollpost. Taunt is the worst mechanic in the game and it's nearly useless most of the time. You lose tons of stats for taunt, which 90% of the time gets
a) Silenced, so you lost stats for nothing in a normal game + UtH still drills you
b) Nuked/Disabled out of the way

I rather play a bigger minion than a small taunt, it would force people to deal with it or gain massive disadvantage anyway. And if we're talking just against UtH, well, Ironbeak Owl or Deadly Shot says hi.

"UTH works against morons to begin with"
lol'd, A card which gives +1A +Charge to up to 7 minions for 1 mana "works against morons to begin with"

You must know a lot about this game.
Reply Quote
11/02/2013 09:09 PMPosted by Sharpshooter

Please, it's not like EVERY starting hand has Snipe (you get around it with Harvesters, btw)

Explosive trap, i'm not gonna deny it, it's very powerful against aggro except lock aggro (which is the only type of aggro there should be, imo)

Multishot / Explosive Shot are 4-5 cost cards, most UTH decks don't even run them (or run a SINGLE copy of Multishot), there's a reason why this deck has a NIGHTMARISH time against aggrodeck.

(The reason behind no Explosive it's because control decks don't tend to run many minions, it has a HUMUNGUS cost of 5, AND against a real aggro deck, you are already dead by then)

Hahaha, oh wow ok. No, anything above 2 cost would literally make the card unplayable, and argurably the worst card in the game. I mean why would this card still give charge when its absurd cost is pretty much counterintuitive?

And let's be honest, the real broken is not on UTH itself, but on the Dragonhawk, Windfury is an obscenely powerful ability for an ONE COST BEAST.

Make it single target.

While i oppose to the idea of changing this card to an useless, inferior incarnation, i won't oppose to moving the "Charge" component to Bestial Wrath and (maybe) trading inmunity for Windfury (if this change happens, i wouldn't mind it's cost increased to 2-3) and removing UTH from existance so we can actually play Hunters as they are ment to.

Brewgiants says Hi, 32 damage on a 5 card combo, for 7 mana.

1) Every UtH deck I played against had Explosive Shot/Deadly Shot. Maybe they don't in mud league, where you play.

2) It's not counter-intuitive at 5 mana. It would just eliminate the OTK decks. The card itself will still be stronger than Bloodlust. I would take Charge over +2 damage any day of the year. If you seriously take +2 Damage over Charge, you have no idea how this game works. Taking Charge is almost always favorable, since the mechanics of Hearthstone doesn't allow you to react to Charge. So you can actually play a normal game as a Hunter, save your Unleash for around turn 9-10, lay down x2 Dragonhawks & x2 Timber Wolves and still do a considerable amount of damage. So yeah, if anything above 2 cost would make the card (not the deck, I'm talking about the UtH card only) unplayable, then Bloodlust needs a serious rework.

3) 1 Mana for +1 Attack and Charge on one minion is the way this card was meant to be all along. All of the similar cards of other classes affect a single target only, and they would still be inferior compared to UtH. I think you're underestimating Charge for some reason. I would take UtH over Blessing of Might or Inner Rage most of the time. UtH on Misha and you get a 5/4 with Taunt and Charge, the closest comparison is Kor'Kron elite at 4 mana with 4/3 and no Taunt.

4)The Windfury card itself is 2 mana and it only provides Windfury, you want Windfury, Charge, and 2 Attack for 3 mana. I have no words for this to be honest.

5) Don't know what you're talking about. 4x giants & WSCommander? I wonder how often that's going to happen.

Bottom line, I wonder why Hunters think OTK is the only way Hunter actually works. Hunters have the best card engine with Starving Buzzard, it's even better than the Northshire Cleric. It's so easy to play a classic Midrange deck as Hunter. Aggro is covered easily with cards like Huffer, you can always use Leokk/Timber Wolf/UtH(if it was single target like I suggested) to bump up simple beasts such as River Croc/Raptor to take trades with higher drops(Bonus protip: Do that with Scavenging Hyena up and you're forcing a 4mana+ spell on a 2 drop). You have nearly as many removals as a Mage does. (Expl/Multi/Deadly/Expl Trap/Snipe/Kill Command) You don't even have to have the control of the board as Hunter. Basically, every turn you remove creatures from the board, you're ahead with your Steady Shot. Just throw your creatures & spells to remove, which you're going to have a lot of thanks to Buzzard. I mean, even if you kill only one creature with your Explosive Trap, you're still up in value.
Reply Quote
*Grab popcorns and watch Sharpshooter trying to deny the undeniable once again*

feels good
Edited by Shyntil on 11/2/2013 10:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
*Grab popcorns and watch Sharpshooter trying to deny the undeniable once again*

feels good

Ah, I'm new in the forums, but I just checked a few threads. Looks like this guy is a known troll, don't know why I actually bothered answering. Obviously a kid who only plays UtH OTK and will quit HS after it's nerfed.
Reply Quote
I'm not denying anything bro, i'm just stating facts, the guy thinks taunt is the worst mechanic on the game, i mean LOL (Hint: Deathrattle is, unless it's Sylvannas)

I'm all down for removing UTH from the game, as long as they make a total overhaul to the hunter class so it might actually be playable. Said overhaul can be avoided with just a single text trade between BWrath and UTH.

But what do you baddies know.
Reply Quote
11/02/2013 10:12 PMPosted by Xithylqt
Obviously a kid who only plays UtH OTK and will quit HS after it's nerfed.

Mang, i have 9 decks, my most played one is actually a Warrior OTK deck which is argurably twice more fun AND broken than this inconsistent piece of !@#$ that UTH is, but of course flies under the radar because it's absurdly expensive to make, unlike spending 960 dust for this one.

I won't deny i have played about 600 matches with UTH tho. It has a solid 86% winratio.

Edit: wups, typos ftl. Quote me whenever i'm trolling btw, so i might change my habits, but disagreeing = / = trolling. SPECIALLY when you talk to a player who has argurably more experience in the CG scenario.
Edited by Sharpshooter on 11/2/2013 10:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm not denying anything bro, i'm just stating facts, the guy thinks taunt is the worst mechanic on the game, i mean LOL (Hint: Deathrattle is, unless it's Sylvannas)

I'm all down for removing UTH from the game, as long as they make a total overhaul to the hunter class so it might actually be playable. Said overhaul can be avoided with just a single text trade between BWrath and UTH.

But what do you baddies know.

>Deathrattle is useless
>Snipe can be avoided with Harvest Golem
>wat

Hint : Harvest Golem & Loot Hoarder are both top20 cards. You almost always get a 1 for 2 value. But whatever, a guy who plays & defends UtH OTK, a guy who calls Deathrattle the worst mechanic in the game calls me a baddie. So legit.

Hunter is playable without UtH. Read what I wrote, if you can comprehend anything except playing UtH.
Reply Quote
I do not see where you typed a viable Hunter deck in that whole wall of stupid, but that useful info might have slipped from my sight underneath all that garbage, so i'm sorry if i didn't see it.

Could you please make me the favor of quoting that very important part so me, aswell as more experienced hunter players (Like Derek) might see your proposal of a viable hunter deck?
Reply Quote
The fact it costs an absurd amount of money removes it from the meta, cuz only rich kids (like you?) will get it, and anyway the warrior otk deck suffers way more vs taunts the hunters do.

At least you can admit UtH is terribly broken.
Reply Quote
The fact it costs an absurd amount of money removes it from the meta, cuz only rich kids (like you?) will get it, and anyway the warrior otk deck suffers way more vs taunts the hunters do.

At least you can admit UtH is terribly broken.

We can just say Diablo 3 wasn't that terrible of a game.

The Warrior OTK suffers vs taunts just as much as UTH does, i should know, i play both of them.
Reply Quote
I do not see where you typed a viable Hunter deck in that whole wall of stupid, but that useful info might have slipped from my sight underneath all that garbage, so i'm sorry if i didn't see it.

Could you please make me the favor of quoting that very important part so me, aswell as more experienced hunter players (Like Derek) might see your proposal of a viable hunter deck?

>experienced players (Like Derek)
>he's one star master
>one star master is counted as experienced where everyone who doesn't suck are 3star master atm cause the league system is horrible

Also
>not getting to 3 star master as UtH OTK
>how much suck
Reply Quote
Whatever u got from Diablo 3 doesnt change the fact you spent like 1k usd in hs? im not judging, everybody makes his own choices. IM saying not many people do that so i didnt face a single warrior OTK since when i started playing, though i know what deck your talking about

EDIT: Wow, someone isnt 3 star master in this game? i reached it in 1 day, it seriously means nothing.
Edited by Shyntil on 11/2/2013 10:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Dude... that was TWO Months ago, which was the reset date. Seriously, use your common sense, but then again UTH works wonders against people with no common sense whatsoever.
Reply Quote
11/02/2013 10:30 PMPosted by Sharpshooter
Dude... that was TWO Months ago, which was the reset date. Seriously, use your common sense, but then again UTH works wonders against people with no common sense whatsoever.

Ah sorry, I forgot to go around checking the dates of the original posts.

Also

>experienced hunter
>implying hunter needs experience
>wat
Reply Quote
Sharpshooter, grab a mage deck and play vs me with Uth. If you win even only 1 game, i will say nothing aobut uth for the rest of my life, i swear.

Just for infos, you can check mage class section for recording aboutt the last 100 games on my main
Edited by Shyntil on 11/2/2013 10:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
11/02/2013 10:30 PMPosted by Shyntil
Whatever u got from Diablo 3 doesnt change the fact you spent like 1k usd in hs? im not judging, everybody makes his own choices. IM saying not many people do that so i didnt face a single warrior OTK since when i started playing, though i know what deck your talking about

I can't spend much money on hearthstone because the money ratios are absurd from where i live :C

I would also not buy booster packs since i'm already getting duplicates from a lot of cards, not to mention i already finished my decks long time ago since i played 2 months before the wipe, so i already knew which things i wanted to craft.

And yeah, i'm one of those who like to try fun decks, i mean, i used to play Miracle Rogue prenerf lol. The only reason i didn't make it top 50 cut was because i decided to DE everything and test prototype decks on the day prior the wipe, which killed my winratio HARD, aswell as nobody told us that they would do that type of ranking, very surprising but oh well.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]