Icarium's Card Face-Off Vol. 1

I had an idea this morning, an Idea of comparing two different cards to each other and asking the Druid forums on which card you'd pick. Both cards have to be the same type (minion, removal spell, buff, etc.) and the same mana cost.

For my first Card Face-Off I'm going to go with what I believe to be the hardest choice for control Druid: what 3 mana cost minions do you put in your deck.

Face-Off #1

1) Havest Golem - 2/3 minion with Deathrattle: summon a 2/1 damaged golem

2) Scarlet Crusader- 3/1 minion with divine shield.

Both of these cards share a common role: low cost minions that regularly take 2 of your opponents cards to destroy. Cards with built in 2 for 1's are arguably the strongest minions in Hearthstone; maintaining card advantage will win you more games than you realize simply by having more options than your opponent.

Harvest Golem's main strengths are the fact that he has 3 health, and the opponent never wants to spend a removal card on him as he knows it will summon the 2/1 minion, potentially giving you card advantage.

Scarlet Crusader's main strength is being able to deal 3 damage without dying on it's first attack, freeing up the opportunity to take out 2 opposing minions. Opponents are forced to "ping" the divine shield with either a low cost minion or hero power (Mage, Druid). In the early game, the opponent will have to waste his entire turn on removing the scarlet crusader, letting you keep tempo the following turn by putting out a real threat.

Both cards are low cost, high durability minions that force your opponent to use precious resources even though they want to ignore them and go after real threats. If your opponent does ignore them, they are prime targets for Shattered Sun Clerics, Iron dwarfs, and Mark/Power of the Wild.

Please reply in the following format:

1)Type of Druid deck you use.

2) Which card you would choose.

3) Why you chose it, and any other feedback.

I'll give my answer later before I post volume 2.
Edited by Icarium on 11/4/2013 2:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
I like Golumn over Crusader for the following reasons.

The only downside to the Column is that it can be silenced. But if they silence it, that's one less silence for my Drake, Druid of the Claw taunt, Ysera, Gruul, Ogre Maggi......

Not to mention he trades loot horders and novice engineers better than Crusader. And lastly, agaisnt a mage, the hero ability just wrecks scarlet crusaders. Heck even a poke from a novice engineer and then the hero ability is all that is needed to trade this card that was suppose to be a 2 for 1 trade, which ends up being a 1 for 0 trade.

In general I find they can last a little while longer on the board than the crusaders.
Reply Quote

Spellpower control deck.

Scarlet Crusader

I run some buffs, which could help increase the survivability of the crusader potentially. Thus I could turn the 3/1 into a 3/5 with taunt and divine shield if desired. Alternatively, if I needed some removal for a high health minion, it could become a 7/1 with a shield to help last the turn to attack.
Reply Quote
I run SkaCariFall's META Busting Comtrol Deck ;) (Skaith's base with Icarium's suggested changes and one change of my own as stated in that thread.)

I agree completely with Skaith for his stated reasons. Golem is always going to be a 2 for 1 even if the deathrattle is silenced. Crusaders are too vulnerable to 1/x minions whereas Golems take a minimum 3/x and a silence or a 3/x and a 1/x if not.

I didn't run them until reading some threads here but have been very happy with them.
Reply Quote
Golem because it's more reliable.
Reply Quote

I started playing less than a week ago, so still trying to gather cards. Using a rush deck.

Harvest Golem.

The Golem is slightly tougher than the Crusader and I think the deathrattle may discourage a removal on it. Both units can be weakened by silence. If a priest think it's worth it, divine shield would be ignored by Shadow Word. Considering the early game, any attack (1/1, 1/2 creatures. Maybe a 1 dmg AoE to clear something else you have on the board) would remove the shield and expose the Crusader (Or kill it if poked before). Golems are also nice to "survive" table clearing spells. On the worst case scenario, the Crusader could even end up buffing a Blood Knight (going really far here).
Edited by Mauhur on 11/5/2013 2:11 AM PST
Reply Quote
Eagerly awaiting Icarium's response and Vol.2 ;)
Reply Quote
Golem is the way to go, I dare say it's an OP card merely for the fact that he has 3 health.

Nobody wants to use a lightning bolt, or a frostbolt, or wrath, or rockbiter, or whatever against a Golem because they know that you will probably get a 2 for 1 with the damaged golem.

Scarlet Crusader is too easily taken care of by Mages, Druids, and Rogues with their hero powers. Priests can simply shadow word pain the Crusader to deal with it completely. I'm not saying that Crusader is a bad card at all, in fact it's still very good. Golem just outperforms Crusader, which is a shame because usually your other 3 drop minions are Shattered Sun Clerics.

How many times have I used a Cleric on a damaged golem to secure another minion kill I cannot count. But few things feel better than a turn 3 Golem drop, and by turn 6 you have a 5/3 damaged golem from a Cleric and a Dark Iron Dwarf.

Quite simply, Harvest Golem is the mayor of Value Town.
Reply Quote
As of right now a speed Druid deck. If I had to choose one it would be the Golem.

1. The health keeps it away from plenty of 2 damage AOE speels.

2. It is not as susceptible to Hero powers as the SCrusader...again this stems from the 3hp base.

3. I pulled a gold version in a pack I won in Arena so I am biased towards the golem ;D

Cheers,
CC-
Reply Quote
The Black Knight vs Cairne Bloodhoof.vs Hogger
(yes i picked 3 since i feel these 3 cards fufill the same 6 mana role, Control)
Reply Quote
Personally I would go for Black Knight since Innervate is not run in Icarium's Mid Druid deck build. Black Knight is plenty helpful against control since they run a good amount of Taunts and in todays rush builds which run Defender of Argus you can coin BK turn 5 if you can.

Cairne is a solid card and forces a 2 for one even possible 3 to 4 for 1 but with so many people running silence and Priest MC it's basically an expensive Yeti to draw out those silence and MCs. Only problem is if Priest MC's you will be facing some stiff opposition to get rid of it. Once MC get tentatively nerfed to 10 cost then it may see some use from me to bait out those silencers.

Lastly Hogger, if the deck runs Innvervate a turn 2-4 Hogger will give rush deck problems but without that a turn 6 Hogger against rush is most likely going to be to late.

So yeah I currently run BK and its worked wonders.

Cheers,
CC-
Reply Quote
The Black Knight vs Cairne Bloodhoof.vs Hogger
(yes i picked 3 since i feel these 3 cards fufill the same 6 mana role, Control)

Hogger is faster than Black Knight, and I don't like Cairne outside of Warlock decks.

I'd probably choose the Black Knight over Hogger, but I hate having BK in my hand when the rush deck i'm facing doesn't even run defender of argus.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]