Icarium's Ultimate Mid-Range Druid

Updated 11-25: -1 Starfall, +1 Raging Worgen

Worgen to take out opponents golems and engineers for enrage, he's also a perfect target for your Clerics. Replaced one Starfall to help out the mana curve, I'm considering putting in an innervate or two but I always end up creating a ramp deck when I start down that path (Ramp seems to be doing well against many top tier decks in this meta).

I promise that this deck will get you to 3 stars masters, however I'm not as confident with mid-range or control Druid against top tier aggro/rush decks. This deck does however give you a chance to win against any type of deck out there, I still believe in ranked Druid!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Icarium's Ultimate Mid-Range Druid, or how I swiped my way to #14 NA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well folks I've finally completed my first Druid deck after a lot of testing, it started out as a more late game oriented control deck but with the current meta, mid-range (aggro+control) gets better results.

Sadly, this deck uses several neutral minions that a ton of other decks use: Golems, Clerics, Commanders, and Dwarfs. I use the word sadly because these minions just create so many 2 for 1 situations that it's hard to not use them in most decks. Pretty much all aggro decks use these cards, and since mid-range is half aggro, they work just as well in this deck.

2x Claw
2x Wrath
1x Ooze
2x Faerie Dragon
1x Big Game Hunter
1x Bloodmage Thalnos
2x Harvest Golem
2x Shattered Sun Cleric
1x Raging Worgen
2x Swipe
1x Chillwind Yeti
2x Keeper of the grove
1x Starfall
2x Azure Drake
2x Druid of the Claw
2x Starfire
2x Argent Commander
1x Ancient of Lore
1x Rag

I've been having as much success with this deck as I have with Extractable's Violet Teacher deck. If you're really into Druid, I suggest keeping both decks handy for maximum pleasure!

The main strength of this deck is that it creates so many 2 for 1 situations that you don't need any card draw past Starfire, Drakes, and sometimes Wrath. However I rarely ever use Wrath for 1 damage unless I really need to get around a Taunt or Divine Shield. Like Extractable said in another post, use your hero power to kill 1 damage minions, save wrath for 3 damage.

If you're feeling nervous about the low amount of card draw, you can always switch out the Faeries with Loot Hoarders or Engineers. Your early game won't be as strong but you'll have more options later.

Your Ideal starting hand is a Claw, Wrath, Faerie Dragon, and a Cleric in that order. Claw deals with any 1-2 mana drops, and Wrath with any 3 drops. On turn 4 you can wrath their 3 drop minion and then drop your Faerie Dragon, gratz you just won the early game.

Argent Commanders are just too good of a card not to put in just about any deck out there, think of them as a 4 damage removal spell that also provides 4/3 minion pressure. Argent Commander is the epitome of Mid-Range, same with Keeper of the Grove. Golems regularly go 2 for 1, Clerics and Dwarfs regularly create 2 for 1 situations as well. Hell it's even easy to go 2 for 1 with Druids of the Claw when you use charge.

Big game hunter and Ancient of Lore are your insurance cards, Lore usually goes 50/50 on using either ability. I usually heal with Lore against Warlocks and Aggro, and Draw against control and mid-range. Ragnaros is your finisher minion, just don't be afraid to use him early if you have Big Game Hunter in hand.

If you want to tailor the deck slightly to your own style here's some suggestions:

-2 Faerie Dragons, +2 Novice Engineers
-1 Ancient of Lore, -1 rag, +2 Gnomish Inventors
-1 Starfall, +1 Yeti
- 1 Starfall, +1 Hogger/Black Knight
-2 Clerics, +2 whatever you want (Innervate comes to mind)

This deck uses 7 rares, 2 epics, and 2 legendaries. I would craft Bloodmage Thalnos first over Rag if you prefer Control or Mid-Range decks.
Edited by Icarium on 11/25/2013 5:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
I am still far from Rag but can build and try this deck when I get home. Will try the Dark Irons over Yetis to mix up what I run now.

I currently have 1x Azure Drake and 1x Demolisher in my deck due to only having 1 Drake though I may craft a second tonight. What are your thoughts on using Demolisher instead? Lower cost, always get hard removed or 2-1 usually due to being early game. You lose the draw power though which may be its biggest downfall in this trade off. Let me know your thoughts. I have the dust to craft a second Azure Drake.

Just seems for 5 mana I would rather run Nourish for card draw since AD seems to be an immediate removal target so you get 1 card and a removal whereas Nourish gives you 2 more cards which can yield something more useful than single removal.
Reply Quote
Yea, this is a solid deck. i think we are getting some more Druid's copying our decks, because last night I played 6 druids with similar decks.

I think I"ve played a total of 6 druids in the last month, and now I got to play 6 of them in one night!
Reply Quote
I am still far from Rag but can build and try this deck when I get home. Will try the Dark Irons over Yetis to mix up what I run now.

I currently have 1x Azure Drake and 1x Demolisher in my deck due to only having 1 Drake though I may craft a second tonight. What are your thoughts on using Demolisher instead? Lower cost, always get hard removed or 2-1 usually due to being early game. You lose the draw power though which may be its biggest downfall in this trade off. Let me know your thoughts. I have the dust to craft a second Azure Drake.

Just seems for 5 mana I would rather run Nourish for card draw since AD seems to be an immediate removal target so you get 1 card and a removal whereas Nourish gives you 2 more cards which can yield something more useful than single removal.

This deck doesn't work if you draw cards on turn 5. It works if you draw cards on turn 7. This deck works by constantly buffing minions that are already out.

Turn -> Faerie Dragon
Turn -> Sun Cleric -> give Faerie Dragon +1/+1
Turn -> Dark Iron Dwarf -> Give Cleric a +2/+0 and trade it with some x/5 minion

Once you have board control, you use your spells (or good trades) keep board control while you attack their hero.

For these reasons turn 4-6 are critical in not losing your tempo. Ancients works by giving another minion and 2 card draw. An opponent now has to waste a card to deal with that minion and you netted 2 cards, a good trade.

If you don't have all the cards, I would suggest maybe Scalet Crusaders, if you have them. Defender of Argus if you have them, or another ooze, Yeti.

These will all probably work with this deck.

EDIT:

Actually even Novice Engineers work really well. Put these guys in if you don't have a drake. You get card draw, and next turn you can buff them to be a 2/3 and trade maybe an ooze or faerie dragon that your opponent put down. If Novice Engineer takes out a creature, you already got a 2/1 trade since it drew you a card.

You can try a kobold instead of bloodmage and see how that works.
Edited by Skaith on 11/5/2013 2:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
Chem: Nourish is one of my favorite cards, but sadly it's just too slow and inconsistent in the current meta. Nourish is fantastic against Control decks, feast or famine vs mid-range, and total crap vs Aggro. If Nourish was 3 mana for 2 cards, it would be amazing just like Arcane Intellect.

As for Azure Drakes, I would always run x2 in mid-range or Control Druid: they cycle themselves so if they trade 1 for 1 you come out on top. Azure Drakes also create countless 2-3 for 1's when combined with Swipe; Azure is just too good of a card to pass up in my opinion. Azure is especially important in this deck for the card draw, the same goes for Bloodmage Thalnos which I think is the #1 Legendary for Druids.

I really like Demolisher, If you're going to replace anything with a Demolisher it would be a Cleric. I love how Demolisher baits out silence since it has 4 health, which is usually too much for the opponent to deal with in the early game. You've tested Demolisher a lot more than I have, so let me know how it goes when you replace Clerics or Dragons with it.
Edited by Icarium on 11/5/2013 2:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
You convinced me, I will craft a second AD now.

Demolisher will ALWAYS bait a silence, sometimes a small hard removal (SW:P etc.), a 1 for 1 trade maybe a 2 for 1 early game minions or if left alone it will just make it easier for you to use less firepower to take out a minion or do a few damage to their hero.

I would probably swap it for a Cleric as the Faerie Dragon is such a great annoyance to Priests/Mages early game. Losing the 1/1 buff does suck but the usefulness of Demolisher makes up for it IMHO.
Reply Quote
Not sure if you mentioned but you can also Dark Iron Dwarf an enemy to put it into Big Game Hunter range.

Last night I ran into a bunch of rogues playing the new deck that won both the managrind tournaments and it felt really really hard. They get so much momentum early from backstabs, SI7 agent, defias ringleader, deadly poison and perditions blade and from then on it's a struggle to get board control back vs their neutral minion trades and their cantrips. Twice I turn 2 a Faerie dragon only to get coin > SI7 agent and from them, giving them a 3/3 on turn 2 and full tempo.

In general though it is getting old seeing most decks just run the standard neutral minion collection, but this rogue deck seems to abuse it heavily as it has so many ways to build tempo early and then after that the neutral minions are unstoppable. It makes me a sad Druid.
Edited by Exactable on 11/5/2013 5:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
Not sure if you mentioned but you can also Dark Iron Dwarf an enemy to put it into Big Game Hunter range.

Last night I ran into a bunch of rogues playing the new deck that won both the managrind tournaments and it felt really really hard. They get so much momentum early from backstabs, SI7 agent, defias ringleader, deadly poison and perditions blade and from then on it's a struggle to get board control back vs their neutral minion trades and their cantrips. Twice I turn 2 a Faerie dragon only to get coin > SI7 agent and from them, giving them a 3/3 on turn 2 and full tempo.

In general though it is getting old seeing most decks just run the standard neutral minion collection, but this rogue deck seems to abuse it heavily as it has so many ways to build tempo early and then after that the neutral minions are unstoppable. It makes me a sad Druid.

This is true. You can get somewhat similar results in other heroes, but the Rogues spells/minions compliments it better. In fact, before those decks were known, I was running a similar deck to the one that finished 2nd place.

So Far my late game Druid Control has fared better for me. Innervate really helps stop their tempo like you said. And then it's easier to control and make it to the end game. Though I tend to win with very little health .
Reply Quote
8-2 so far at 2* Diamond. 5 concedes before turn 10. Had a Priest concede at turn 6 when I already had him to 3 health. This deck is pretty great if you get a good initial draw. If not it gets sketchy but becomes more like the control deck I have been running.

I am running Demolisher in place of one Cleric. It is working quite well for my previously stated reasons. Have Ysera in place of Rag until I get him.

BGH is proving more and more useful the more games I play. Using your buff to force attack up to then blast with BGH is so fun. I like waiting just long enough after buffing their minion for them to send the "Thanks" emote then dropping BGH. Insult to injury ;)

Icarium: what are your thoughts on 2x Starfall over 2x Starfire? Starfire does have the option of hero damage but the 2 atk to all can really help regain board control. Just wondering what made you choose Starfire. Like to learn from those who have been playing much longer than I have.
Reply Quote
Starfire is amazing and I'll always use 2 over Starfall. Since it 1-shots just about everything, the cycle gives you a +1 card advantage, amazing card.

I also love Starfall, I always go back and forth with putting 1 or 2 in my deck, but I usually settle on one. In Mid-Range Druid, I use 1 so I can free up a spot for a fast minion. For control Druid, 2 Starfalls is perfectly viable.
Reply Quote
Update: Now 11-2 with 6 concedes before turn 10. Have been up against every class at least once. Only loses are to the new rogue deck mentioned earlier in this thread and one lucky weapon heavy Warrior. 2x Fiery and 2x Arcanite before turn 10. Didn't get my ooze until it was too late.

This is going to be my go to deck now. It is a bit more fun that the late game control deck as you can play it mid-game with good draw or late game control if the cards are not in your favor.

Icarium: Yeah I am tired and was overlooking the card draw aspect of Starfire when I asked that question. Honestly I am considering dropping Ysera for another Starfall. She is mostly a flashy show off card at this point. She has turned some games for me but is really played for fun when I already have a good lead. She is risky for the cost when you are behind. Sad 2 of my three legendaries are meh, Cenarius and Ysera. But at least I have Bloodmage who is never not useful.
Reply Quote
I was just wondering, is this the optimal list or would you change stuff around?
I got at all druid cards x2 (barring cenarius) And most common cards + ysera, rag, hogger, bloodmage.
So id love to test the optimal version if this is not it :)
Reply Quote
What do you guys think about Gadgetzan Auctioneer ? AY or NAY ?

EDIT : this is my actual deck with the funds and cards i have tell me what to tweek up :)

1 Innervate
2 Claws
2 Wrath
1 Acidic Swamp Ooze
2 Fearie Dragons
1 Loot Hoarder
2 Haverst Golems
2 Shattered Sun Clerics
2 Swipe
2 Keeper Of The Groove
2 Ogre Magi
1 Nourish
1 Starfall
2 Azure Drake
2 Druid Of The Claw
1 Gadgetzan Auctioneer
2 Starfire
2 Argent Commander
Edited by GoldenBrovok on 11/6/2013 7:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
I was just wondering, is this the optimal list or would you change stuff around?
I got at all druid cards x2 (barring cenarius) And most common cards + ysera, rag, hogger, bloodmage.
So id love to test the optimal version if this is not it :)

If you are looking for a druid deck that is consistent this is more than viable to fill that slot.

Does pretty well against any deck in the current meta. Only problem i could forsee is against iceblock mages if they somehow get prefect draws. Every other class is pretty good match up.

Some cards that pretty much any deck can use in current meta that i think are becoming prety much core are.

Sun shattered Cleric, Iron dwarf, Scarecrow, Azure drake, and Argent Commanders.

These cards alone offer a major advantage whether it be using iron dwarf to buff your own minions or even buffing your enemies minions to use BGH.

TLDR: This deck is solid for current meta.
Reply Quote
Copied the list, went 7-0, pretty funny :)
update went from copper 1 to plat 3 now.
Diamond 3 stars currently.
Edited by Lightning on 11/6/2013 1:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
Question, would it be worth,getting a black knight? seeing as how other druids are major fans :)
Reply Quote
To answer your question lightning, It's a decent sideboard card but i don't think i would run it in the main deck.

Alot of aggro decks, hunter, mage, even pallies don't run taunts. So if you ever play against someone like that it will just be a dead card in your hand all game.
Reply Quote
Copied the list, went 7-0, pretty funny :)
update went from copper 1 to plat 3 now.
Diamond 3 stars currently.

Gratz on the success my friend, you should plow your way through to masters 3 with this deck in no time.

Yes I believe that this is my completed, optimal Mid-Range deck for the current meta. When the meta changes, so will this deck.

As for Black Knight, he's a very good card and a must for your sideboard along with Harrison Jones. If the meta shifts back to a lot more taunts and defenders of Argus, The black Knight will likely find a way into this deck.
Reply Quote
I find so many decks running Ysera that tinkmaster overspark has been a fine card in this deck. Everything else I run is the same.
Reply Quote
11/06/2013 02:16 PMPosted by Its0v3r9000
I find so many decks running Ysera that tinkmaster overspark has been a fine card in this deck. Everything else I run is the same.

Tinkmaster is a very underated card, and fills a similar role as big game hunter. In fact I would love to test Tinkmaster in place of BGH.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]