Icarium's Ultimate Mid-Range Druid

On a side note: I managed to make it to #14 of the top 50 NA ranked players using 95% Druid decks.

I didn't start using this deck until yesterday, so everyone should be very happy that Druid is perfectly competitive!
Reply Quote
Grats on making it to #14 They should send you to blizzcon to represent the druids at the tournament.

On another note i recently replaced Black knight with tink master overspark and pleased with the results. I've only had it trigger the 5/5 once. Such a good card to have.
Reply Quote
Well done. Love this deck a lot!
Reply Quote
Yea im a 2 star master now.
in 2 days, pretty amazing.

I have only lost to an insane control priest, 2 times to a turn 7 unleash the hound. was my bad procced snaketrap but used a creature instead of saving swipe,
i do have issues with creaturespam palas though, especially a buffed yeti is hella annoying.

Btw i like your name icarium :) fits a druid player more than enything else
Edited by Lightning on 11/7/2013 8:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
Yea im a 2 star master now.
in 2 days, pretty amazing.

I have only lost to an insane control priest, 2 times to a turn 7 unleash the hound. was my bad procced snaketrap but used a creature instead of saving swipe,
i do have issues with creaturespam palas though, especially a buffed yeti is hella annoying.

Btw i like your name icarium :) fits a druid player more than enything else

Yea I find that the deck goes 50/50 versus OTK hunter, which is acceptable.

The issue with the game right now is that EVERY deck has issues with creature spam decks, the faster your deck, the less weaknesses it has right now.

Blizzard needs to do some major changes to the neutral cards, or it's going to be a long wait for the first expansion.

And thanks for the compliment, the name is from my favorite book series: Malazan.
Reply Quote
Yea I actually caught your name reference. And I have to say, My deck was about 4 or so cards different from ICarium's deck. Over the past few days, it's transmogrified into this deck. This might be the strongest Druid Deck we have or that i've experimented with yet.

You can also substitute things if you don't have all the cards.

Spell breakers for Keepers of the Grove
Kobold for Bloodmage (or any other fav card)
Grull or even Iron Protector was working for my friend instead of Rag.

scarlet crusader -> for golumns or mix and match depending on what cards you have.

Naturalize for Big Game Hunters. (not optimal but this is the last resort when your dealing with a Rag that just got dropped).
Reply Quote
My substitutions to the deck are currently replacing both Clerics. I use a demolisher in one slot as it is a great card to force hard removal, poly/hex or since it drops early a 2-1 trade usually or at worst will pull out a silence you may not want later. In the other slot I am testing Defender of Argus as it provides the same 1/1 buff with a potential two taunts right around the mid game transition. Hoping it helps disrupt the tempo of OTK and rush decks right at that crucial turn 5-7 depending on when you can best maximize the taunts based on your board.
Edited by Chemrainfall on 11/7/2013 2:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
Currently testing:

-1 Cleric, +1 Defender of Argus (props to Chem for the suggestion)

-1 Dwarf, +1 Starfall (props to Skaith for the suggestion)
Reply Quote
Yeah I really miss my 2nd Starfall. Making the change now.
Reply Quote
Yea i took out the dwarf and added the starfal earlier. Dwarf seemed to be my least usefull duocard
And yea i got the reference :) thats especially why i found it to be a druid suited name :)
Favorite book series around. love how he tied togheter all his books in the last 2 !
Reply Quote
The Starfall whilst not being able to deliver the damage to my opponents face, has been helping me in quick swarm decks.

Pally decks with divine sheild abuse
Warlock Rush
Shaman Swarm

It helps resetting the board and going into that mid-range control victory. Usually if I pull some AOE for those type of decks, I have a chance to break the tempo.

With warlock, you need both, because they just tend to get those fast (discard) creatures out, and build their swarm again.

I took out both dwarves, one for the black knight, the other for starfall. I'm tempted to DE my Gold Onyxia for Bloodmage.........
Reply Quote
The Starfall whilst not being able to deliver the damage to my opponents face, has been helping me in quick swarm decks.

Pally decks with divine sheild abuse
Warlock Rush
Shaman Swarm

It helps resetting the board and going into that mid-range control victory. Usually if I pull some AOE for those type of decks, I have a chance to break the tempo.

With warlock, you need both, because they just tend to get those fast (discard) creatures out, and build their swarm again.

I took out both dwarves, one for the black knight, the other for starfall. I'm tempted to DE my Gold Onyxia for Bloodmage.........

Do it :D I am trying to craft or pull a Bloodmagte as well for my Druid deck. Thanks all for the excellent suggestions. Since I am short on cards at the moment I have been using that Druin rush also found in this forum. I am getting closer and closer to finishing the deck to give my input as well.

Cheers,
CC-
Reply Quote
Took out 2 dwarfs, added starfall and a hogger.
Havnt lost since

Hogger is great to take out CC or stall them for a bit till you can combine other stuff ~. Starfall helps againt rushes. Especially sham totem spam.
although im thinking about replacing hoggers with the divine taunter. to get a bit more oemph when needed.

Currently in masters 3 so i guess its pretty much top tier :)
Thinking about changing the harvester for something else though, but im not sure what.
Maybe enraged worgen or tauren taunter.
Edited by Lightning on 11/8/2013 7:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
Raging Worgen and Tauren Warrior will both die to the same minion that could drop your Golem and don't provide the 2 for 1. The chances you will get the enrage bonuses are low and the Taurens taunt will just force a 1 for 1 removal. Golems are a great removal target then provide a free replacement minion.

Unless you waste a play to enrage (mage hero power, minion battlecry, whatever) them yourself most players are not going to give you the chance to use the mechanic. Using Worgen as an example, why would you waste an attack to not kill a minion, possibly lose a minion and give them 8 damage to you or your field when you could eat the 3 damage for one or two turns so you can use something that will kill it and still come out ahead on the damage you took. I find the enrage mechanic one of the most useless in the game personally. Either you proc it at a loss to you or it is a simple trade card that probably has a better alternative.

The only valid enrage minions are the warrior legendary and Spiteful Smith. And Smith is useless to a Druid.
Edited by Chemrainfall on 11/8/2013 6:51 AM PST
Reply Quote
Was thinking about worgen for kill potential against, but i guess at t3/4 the aoe removal comes out so harvester might be better.
Reply Quote
I really like Raging Worgen. It works best in decks that can either self-enrage it or buff its health. SS clerics are ok for this but having both them and Mark of the Wild is what should trigger worgen inclusion. This way you can buff and kill something that opponent hoped to trade with and swing the second time right afterwards.

However the worgen's true prey are Novice Engineers, Loot Hoarders, Northshire Clerics, Mana Wyrms and Voidwalkers. Playing worgen against one of these on the board draws out any removal the opponent has available. If they don't, tough luck for them. You can also kill a Harvest Golem then Shapeshift to clear the damaged golem while keeping your worgen. Or if they have any 3/3 or protecting grizzly they might just go for your face letting you do the health buff trick.

So yeah, worgen starts out just a humble 3/3 but the threat potential draws 1:1 trades from opponents reliably, and any opening on their part can reward you greatly. Turn 4 aoe is generally only 2 damage without extra mana left to add a spell damage minion or a hero power so they still need to toss something else at it.

Remember not to put Mark of the Wild on a minion until it's needed because it'll expose you to going 1:2 against removal. If enemy can't play their card draw weenies or 3/3 against an unenraged worgen, they might think Yeti or Shieldmasta is safe. Good to have that Mark hidden in your hand. Buff card doesn't leave you with card advantage but it's good for tempo and you should go 2:2 once they finally remove the worgen after taking damage.

EDIT: Embarrassingly I had to correct all Mark of Nature mentions into Mark of the Wild, the 2 mana card. :)
Edited by Ksielvin on 11/8/2013 1:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
Druids have no synergy with Raging Worgen outside of Wrath, but you really want to save wrath for it's full 3 damage on enemy minions. Worgen is a good card just not for Druid during this meta, it's too slow and we have no room for it unless you want to run Marks. The problem with marking Worgen is that you just invested 2 cards into him and he still hasn't taken damage.

Golem has a built in 2 for 1 and opponents regularly leave it alone for a long time, letting you get in 2 damage repeatedly. Golem is also a fantastic target for Clerics, a 3-4 harvest Golem is a serious pain in the rear.

The current meta is all about getting that early tempo, and keeping it. This deck can adapt well if you start out with a claw and a wrath, you can kill their early cards and keep the board clear...unless they drop down a harvest golem.

Worgen is fantastic in a Mage deck, and also Warrior. I don't think I'd ever run it in Druid, despite how much I want to wombo combo him.
Edited by Icarium on 11/8/2013 1:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
Took out 2 dwarfs, added starfall and a hogger.
Havnt lost since

I use Hogger in my control and Ramp decks, he's a very good card that the opponent MUST deal with the turn he shows up.

The problem with Hogger in this deck is his timing, at 6 mana you can't drop him with any removal until turn 8+ with claw and wrath (low damage removal). Only on turn 10+ can you play Hogger and Swipe, which is a great turn for late game. If you have board control turn 6+ with Hogger in hand, he's a win more play. Usually turns 6-8 are used for Thalnos+swipe, Starfall, or Starfire.

This deck has a solid late game, but it relies more on 4-5 drops so you can play 2 a turn. Starfall+drake, drake+dwarf/yeti, Drake+Swipe, Thalnos+Swipe+Dwarf. Starfire can have a lot of trouble being played at 6 cost, being able to remove+establish pressure is key in this meta, one of the reasons Argent Commander is so good.

P.S. Deck updated, check the top of the original post.
Edited by Icarium on 11/8/2013 1:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
From a druids prospective would you rather craft rag or bloodmage?

Much thanks in advance.

Cheers,
CC-
Reply Quote
Think I would go with the Bloodmage. I'm pretty new to druid as I've been playing mostly Shaman but I believe Bloodmage is just so good right now. Don't get me wrong Rag is great as well but Bloodmage and Ysera should be in almost every deck right now, IMHO.
Edited by Mooreo on 11/8/2013 11:00 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]