Icarium's Ultimate Mid-Range Druid

From a druids prospective would you rather craft rag or bloodmage?

Much thanks in advance.

Cheers,
CC-

I'd craft Bloodmage first simply because he's used in a high percentage of top tier decks.
Reply Quote
Thanks guys. After I posted this yesterday went with my gut and crafted Blood. He will help me get to end game while Rag may never see play if I die early :D

Glad I was on the same page as you guys.

Ran the deck and went 7-1

Lost to a Murwarlok deck on full tilt! Just did so much damage early and I didn't draw any of my answers I think I lost on turn 5 or 6.

Cheers,
CC-

EDIT: Man this deck is performing well beyond my expectations. Just went 9-0 against all kinds of decks. Also played in my first game where opponent ran out of cards...wild. Again thanks for sharing and all the input with updates and changes.

Since I am missing some cards here are my subs

-1 Rag +1 Ironbark Protector
-1 Starfall +1 Black Knight
-1 Protector of the Grove +1 Faceless Manipulator
Edited by CaptainCarl on 11/9/2013 1:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
Maybe it's me but this deck seems to have too many high cost cards, I always end up getting hands full with 4-5-6 and nothing to play early on...

Also what deck you running AS OF NOW?
Edited by Codyksp on 11/10/2013 10:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
Been testing the waters with this deck for the last few days all non-ranked. It's easy to feel comfortable with the build and decided to play ranked today. Started at about 3 hours ago and I just won my last game to break into Masters 1 star :D

Cody there are a lot of high drops so if you don't feel comfortable switch out all cards in your opening hand besides low drops and swipes. This should help you last to turn 5 with a solid health pool to work with as you start to take control of the game. Also consider Claws as direct damage that can't be stopped. Helps against those pesky Fairy Dragons and they help you get rid of any annoying 3 health minion like the ones that usually help draw cards by using Claw and Druid ability turn 3.

When I was playing against those priests I always have in the back of my mind what was mentioned in this thread, bait out MC with my Druid of the Claw (taunt) or Azure Drake then either Black Knight, Starfall or Star Fire them. Deck is definitely fun to play and the card synergy is excellent.

I am thinking of testing another 3 drop instead of Cleric because I tend to not have any 2 drops on the field when she comes out so perhaps a taunter to mitigate early rush decks.

Cheers,
CC-
Reply Quote
Maybe it's me but this deck seems to have too many high cost cards, I always end up getting hands full with 4-5-6 and nothing to play early on...

Also what deck you running AS OF NOW?

Ancient Watcher Warlock:p

This Druid deck is a fantastic counter to the Priest meta, which I believe is the reason I did so well with ranked Druid in the Beta. I think it's a little weak vs fast, rush decks which seems to be the current meta alongside priests.

I still run this deck in ranked, I average about 7 wins, 3 losses per day which is completely acceptable at my MMR especially with Druid. My losses are almost solely to Rush Paladin, Rush Warlock, and Rush rogue, notice a pattern?

If you're finding it too slow, or too many high cost cards consider taking out a Starfire or Starfall for an innervate or two.

Innervate is risky though, it can make your deck insanely fast and establish a dominant tempo in the early game. But if you innervate a yeti turn two and it get's sheeped, you just lost 2 cards to his one.

I do however think that Innervate is the key to making a great Druid deck looking down the road, but maybe not in this current meta.

P.S. Seriously considering taking out the 2nd Starfall and the Twilight Drake for 2 yetis, or just The Starfall for another Twilight Drake.
Edited by Icarium on 11/10/2013 4:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
The direct damage mage deck that everyone copied from blizzcon is a bit annoying to face, but I have been doing very well with this deck.
Reply Quote
2x Claw
2x Wrath
1x Ooze
2x Faerie Dragon
1x Big Game Hunter
1x Bloodmage Thalnos
2x Harvest Golem
1x Shattered Sun Cleric
1x Defender of Argus
2x Swipe
2x Keeper of the grove
2x Starfall
2x Azure Drake
2x Druid of the Claw
2x Starfire
2x Argent Commander
1x The Black Knight
1x Ancient of Lore
1x Ragnaros

My variation on it
-1 cleric + 1 defender of argus
-1 twilight drake + 1 black knight
I was using cairne bloodhoof instead of 1 argent commander, but it was just to annoying to see a priest MC it.
Druids are seriously lacking answers to 4/5 creatures besides creatures of their own. We only got starfire, which i prefer to use to finish people off ';)
(Got nearly all cards in the game so i can test out stuff for other people if they want to)
Edited by Lightning on 11/11/2013 1:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
Lighting

That's my exact deck except I run 2 Clerics and no Defender of Argus. I still find it working very well in the priest, mage, META. and it seems to hold up well in the rush warlock, pally, rogue decks as well. I mean it's pretty much Icarium's deck + a black knight squeezed in there.

However I've added a 2nd Starfall like you have. And it always seems like I can break their tempo with the black knight. I don't think I've lost when I've draw a Black Knight to upset the board advantage these decks normally have.

Also adding the 2nd Starfall has helped since it's all minions I'm usually worried about and you need to waste one card to remove their multiple cycle cards (don't waste your own cards if you can). ON their Novice engineers, loot horders etc.

I think My MMR is pretty high as well, since I seem to face a few of the top 50 list every night.
Reply Quote
Question.

How many time have you guys won with Rag? I do not have one and I subbed in Ironbark Protector and he has been MVP more than just a few times in my games.

Hell, someone brought out Deathwing and I brought out ol Ironbark then swiped him the following turn. The guy even said "Well Played" after dropping him thinking us Druids do not have a removal spell for that big a minion :D

BK would suck I know but I have yet to see a BK played against me.

Cheers,
CC-
Reply Quote
Question.

How many time have you guys won with Rag? I do not have one and I subbed in Ironbark Protector and he has been MVP more than just a few times in my games.

Hell, someone brought out Deathwing and I brought out ol Ironbark then swiped him the following turn. The guy even said "Well Played" after dropping him thinking us Druids do not have a removal spell for that big a minion :D

Cheers,
CC-

Rag generally gets the concede when played right. However, agaisnt a tempo rush deck, they generally want to control the board. So if you can out last their hand, wait till they have only 2 or 1 cards left, and drop him. They generally don't have any way to deal with him.

Like you, I didn't have him for a very long time. I subbed all sorts of cards for him, (druid legendary, Slyvanna, Gruul). They all seemed to work. I even ran an Iron bark for a while. But In my opinion I would run another Ancient of Lore over the Iron bark. I tend to hold onto my Iron bark agaisnt preist for fear of MC. I'd either wait for a BGH or a Black Knight before playing him.

The reason I switched to Rag is because Rag's ability always goes off the turn you play him. Iron bark (when playing a smart opponent) will have some way to deal with late big game creatures. So if they hex or polymorph. I generally find a Rag getting hexed to be better because you got that 8 damage shot off.
Edited by Skaith on 11/11/2013 10:57 AM PST
Reply Quote
Question.

Cheers,
CC-

Rag generally gets the concede when played right. However, agaisnt a tempo rush deck, they generally want to control the board. So if you can out last their hand, wait till they have only 2 or 1 cards left, and drop him. They generally don't have any way to deal with him.

Like you, I didn't have him for a very long time. I subbed all sorts of cards for him, (druid legendary, Slyvanna, Gruul). They all seemed to work. I even ran an Iron bark for a while. But In my opinion I would run another Ancient of Lore over the Iron bark. I tend to hold onto my Iron bark agaisnt preist for fear of MC. I'd either weight for a BGH or a Black Knight before playing him.

The reason I switched to Rag is because Rag's ability always goes off one time. Iron bark (when playing a smart opponent) will have some way to deal with late big game creatures. So if they hex or polymorph. I generally find a Rag getting hexed to be better because you got that 8 damage shot off.

Thanks for the quick response. I guess it's time to save up that dust...1545 more to go ugggh. Just thinking of it makes me cringe haha

Cheers,
CC-
Reply Quote
He's a GREAT card, but not a MUST have card for the deck to work. I often draw him and finish the opponent with other smaller cards to maintain my tempo (board control). If you need druid cards like Starfalls, Keepers, Druid of the Claws..... Argent Commanders, Big Game Hunter..... Get those first.
Reply Quote
11/11/2013 11:06 AMPosted by Skaith
He's a GREAT card, but not a MUST have card for the deck to work. I often draw him and finish the opponent with other smaller cards to maintain my tempo (board control). If you need druid cards like Starfalls, Keepers, Druid of the Claws..... Argent Commanders, Big Game Hunter..... Get those first.

Thanks for the feedback. Actually I do need another Keeper of the Grove and Starfall and Rag to finish the deck. Keeper and Starfall will be next on the crafting block and Rags will happen when I get my Riches.

Cheers,
CC-
Reply Quote
Good luck, and hopefully you will get a Rag in a pack while grinding, OR a golden legendary Millhouse (or some other worthless legendary that makes it easy to DE for one you want!)

I'm still sitting on a Golden Onxyia. Whilst not the best Dragon, her golden Whelps are awesome when they flood the board in my fun druid swarm deck. Not sure I can justify DE her, and not waiting the month it will take me to get my Thalnos.
Reply Quote
Rag is fantastic because he does 8 damage the turn he shows up, if he lives any longer than that then it's usually lights out for the opponent.

The icing on the cake for Rag is that if the enemy silences him, he can still swing for 8 damage.
Reply Quote
Thank you Icarium for this great deck ! I find this effective and very fun to play.

I still don't have a BGH, Thalnos and Ragnaros. That's why I use the Kobold Geomancer which is an obvious choice. I also use an Ironfur Grizzly even if there might be better cards, I like to have an early taunt. It's still useful to have a taunt card during mid/late game even if it's weak, and I tend to use charge a lot with the Druids of the claws so it's not a bad choice.

And as a Ragnaros "substitute", I use Lord of the Arena... I might use an Ironbark Protector but I fight against priests very often and it's more difficult to manage a CM used on an Ironbark Protector. Maybe an other Ancient of Lore would be a better choice...
Reply Quote
Thank you Icarium for this great deck ! I find this effective and very fun to play.

I still don't have a BGH, Thalnos and Ragnaros. That's why I use the Kobold Geomancer which is an obvious choice. I also use an Ironfur Grizzly even if there might be better cards, I like to have an early taunt. It's still useful to have a taunt card during mid/late game even if it's weak, and I tend to use charge a lot with the Druids of the claws so it's not a bad choice.

And as a Ragnaros "substitute", I use Lord of the Arena... I might use an Ironbark Protector but I fight against priests very often and it's more difficult to manage a CM used on an Ironbark Protector. Maybe an other Ancient of Lore would be a better choice...

Call me crazy but my favorite Substitute for Rag is Venture Co. Mercenary, he's incredible dangerous and has to be dealt with immediately. He's a scary presence on the board, and at 5 mana he's a bargain. Nobody runs Big Game Hunter outside of us Druids right now, so his 7 attack is a boon and not a gamble.
Reply Quote
[quote]...... Nobody runs Big Game Hunter outside of us Druids right now......

So true.
Reply Quote
Ragnaros has won to many games for me to take him out. I only drop him vs 1 minion or none. That ways its always a 2 for 1 and worth the mana
Reply Quote
I've been grinding play with Druid as of late, although I run a more rampy list with 2 innervates and 2 rampart growth. The ramping gives you a lot of free wins on the long run I.E Druid of the Claw turn 3 against aggro and similar stuff that gives you a HUGE edge when things come toghether. And allowing to play less low-impact early drops (Harvest golem being the main offender) which smoothes your late game draws significantly, So I'd strongly consider shifting your curve towards the higher end and playing some ramp.

Also I´ve grown increasingly dissapointed with claw, it's an ok play for 1 mana but not all that great on the top tiers where about 1/3 of the matches are against mage/priest, where the card is just horrendous
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]