Icarium's Ultimate Mid-Range Druid

11/11/2013 04:54 PMPosted by Icarium
Call me crazy but my favorite Substitute for Rag is Venture Co. Mercenary, he's incredible dangerous and has to be dealt with immediately. He's a scary presence on the board, and at 5 mana he's a bargain. Nobody runs Big Game Hunter outside of us Druids right now, so his 7 attack is a boon and not a gamble.

Hmm that's not a bad idea. I will try this card, thanks. ^^
Edited by Freiya on 11/12/2013 9:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
Is there a link to the violet teacher deck you mentioned?
Reply Quote
I've been grinding play with Druid as of late, although I run a more rampy list with 2 innervates and 2 rampart growth. The ramping gives you a lot of free wins on the long run I.E Druid of the Claw turn 3 against aggro and similar stuff that gives you a HUGE edge when things come toghether. And allowing to play less low-impact early drops (Harvest golem being the main offender) which smoothes your late game draws significantly, So I'd strongly consider shifting your curve towards the higher end and playing some ramp.

Also I´ve grown increasingly dissapointed with claw, it's an ok play for 1 mana but not all that great on the top tiers where about 1/3 of the matches are against mage/priest, where the card is just horrendous

I agree that putting in Innervates and more late game focused cards would be great for a Ramp deck, but this is a Mid-Range deck. I think running 1 innervate is viable in this deck though.

As for claw, it's pretty much standard in any Druid deck just like Wrath. Claw get's rid of faerie dragons turns 1 and 2, and with hero power it kills Worgens at turn 3+. Claws main advantage is that it only costs 1 mana, so it's quite easy to fit in with minion pressure during the same turn.

If you really want to get rid of claw, switch it out for Engineers.
Reply Quote
I could never consider taking out claw. Fairie dragon is in so many decks right now and claw is a fantastic answer to it and more.

On another note been playing this deck at about a 70 to 80ish win rate at m3. Love the deck!
Reply Quote
I could never consider taking out claw. Fairie dragon is in so many decks right now and claw is a fantastic answer to it and more.

On another note been playing this deck at about a 70 to 80ish win rate at m3. Love the deck!

I'm getting the same results in ranked as you although I haven't been playing much ranked.

70% win-rate at my MMR is perfectly acceptable, I just hate aggro rogue since it's a hard counter.
Reply Quote
Just wanted to give a heads up.

I've been running a very similar Druid deck for a while, which despite no Epics or Legendaries made it to Master 3 quite successfully.

What is your opinion on Bite? I use one. It's either a 4/0 for 4 or 5/0 Charge for 6 mana. You also keep the armor, so it can save your butt.

I prefer Power of the Wild over Fearie for some +1/+1 tricks (2 for 1 trades) if you draw it late.
Edited by Sharknado on 11/12/2013 4:44 PM PST
Reply Quote
Just wanted to give a heads up.

I've been running a very similar Druid deck for a while, which despite no Epics or Legendaries made it to Master 3 quite successfully.

What is your opinion on Bite? I use one. It's either a 4/0 for 4 or 5/0 Charge for 6 mana. You also keep the armor, so it can save your butt.

I prefer Power of the Wild over Fearie for some +1/+1 tricks (2 for 1 trades) if you draw it late.

Gratz on the success, this deck seems to just plow through lower MMR it seems.

Bite is just a wasted card in my opinion, this deck already has enough removal that's also more efficient. Claw and Wrath are your early removal spells, while starfire and starfall are your late removal spells. I just don't think there's room for a 4 cost removal spell that doesn't bypass taunt, I'd much rather have 2x yeti's or twilight drakes for pressure.

A big advantage this deck has is that Argent Commander and Starfire create so much card advantage that you will win against most late-game oriented decks. It all boils down to whether or not you want to run bite instead of Starfire or Starfall, and I just don't think it performs nearly as well as either.
Reply Quote

I'm getting the same results in ranked as you although I haven't been playing much ranked.

70% win-rate at my MMR is perfectly acceptable, I just hate aggro rogue since it's a hard counter.

Agreed. its also a boring matchup
Reply Quote
I love this deck. I love druid but I keep getting my !@# kicked in Masters 3 by lock/rogue rush. Since I don't have rag, I'm testing Ysera but I think I'm going to drop Ysera for something smaller. Anyone have any ideas?

Edit: Testing a Defender of Argus right now, this should hopefully stop some pressure.
Edited by Vtec on 11/12/2013 8:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
I was having moderate success with my spell deck (60%) but now that I have tried this deck, I'm winning 80% of my games at M1. :) I am facing mages about 25% of the time and this deck absolutely destroys them! I think my only recent losses were to a Priest that top decked his second MC with 12 cards left, one round from fatal damage. Also, I ran into someone who dropped Onyxia with a Stormwind Champion on board after I had already used both swipes. :P

I don't have Thalnos or the Ancient of Lore, so I swapped them out for a Geomancer and Stormwind Champion and they seem to be working well enough. I was considering a Ravenholdt Assassin as an alternative 7 drop but the Champion gives you some immediate presence if you have minions on board so it's a toss up…

Still curious about the Teacher deck you mentioned in your OP.
Edited by Snafzg on 11/13/2013 12:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
Raggy makes this deck imho, however I think a Mountain Giant might be a decent alternative since I tend to have lots of cards in my hand. I think you'll get him out by turn 7 a lot of the time and almost certainly by turn 8. Then there's the Ironbark Protector. Ysera is still a good alternative too imho.

The reason Raggy is so good is because he'll do his 8 damage before he can be dealt with, and let me tell you, he is almost always dealt with the very next turn by people dumping everything they have into him. The drawback to every other 8 drop is that you don't get that immediate value and the enemy will usually take it out the next turn. Also, he's immune to silence because you can start attacking with him while silenced! People have done that to me a couple times even at M1.
Reply Quote
Grubby right now is doing pretty well in a tourney with druid. Not bad
Reply Quote
Thanks for this setup used it tongiht to get dailies done to great sucess, don't have rag so used a innervate instead for those times when you go first and they coin drop a ?/3 on their first turn so i can claw+hero power to kill it outright, if that situation doesn't happen its usually usefull for other things... usually main a lategame warlock so most of the other classes i just use for dailies
Reply Quote
Grubby's was a bit different, with some grizzly bears to help against aggro. Seemed like an OK move since aggro is everywhere.

And he ran bite, and I think an extra silence minion:

http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilder/druid#34:1;42:1;74:2;95:2;266:1;280:2;386:1;434:1;450:1;459:1;464:2;480:2;503:1;519:1;532:2;587:2;620:2;633:2;641:1;667:2
Edited by Its0v3r9000 on 11/13/2013 11:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
I have continued to use this deck since I enjoy it the most out of all the decks in my gallery but my wind percentage has been declining. As Skaith, Icar and Chem have mentioned in Masters it's all about rush/aggro. I consider the Mage deck an aggro deck cause all they are doing is trying to get you to 12-20 life like a hunter deck and they hit you with direct damage in one turn.

Been trying to tweak the deck a little to provide better offense in the beginning to be able to reach turn 6-8 with 20+ life but its tough. I'm usually at 7-12 life and well placed attack and damage spell usually seals the deal in rounds 5-8.

Win rate is still above 50% but its getting tough. A few things I have tried:

1. Wild Pyromancer for early board control with Wrath and Swipe. Still need the combo and most of the time with Clerics and +1 def Imps and Merlocs they stop the boardwipe.

2. Also tried Ancient Watcher at 2 and Bear for Taunt at 3. Mark of the Wild to add Taunt and can be used to buff opponents minion for BGH or add Taunt and BK. Havn't tested enough but I feel the card draw is not as fluid as original for some reason.

3. Added Defender of Argus for the Taunt but had to add 2-3 more low drops to make sure I had someone to use his ability with. Helped but late game would suffer a bit, still undecided.

4. Variation with 1 Owl, 2 Spellbreakers and 2 Groves so in essence the Silences acted as Minion Debuffs against Murloc and Rush Pali with their Shields. I was even thinking of using 1 Blood Knight instead of 1 Cleric againt all that Shielding but the Silences where enough when I tested.

Cards I dropped to make way for the substitutions in above examples:

Argent Crusader x1
Starfall x1
Twilight Drake x1

Toying with dropping BGH since I havn't been using it in most of my matches but I like it in the deck so its still being contemplated.

Overall I think the deck is solid and can still compete it just have to adapt to the meta a bit more and see what will work for me and what wont.

I got lucky and got a Golden Epic in a back I got after finishing my dailies yesterday. Doomhammer. I think Im going to DE it for the Rag since I'm only 600+ Dust away from crafting him. Should win another pack or two by the weekend so Rag maybe a done deal :D

Cheers,
CC-

EDIT: I am contemplating running Naturalize x2...I know it's very risky but its cheap board removal to get that one pesky minion in exchange for 2 cards that you maybe able to get rid of with a well timed Swipe.
Edited by CaptainCarl on 11/15/2013 7:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
@CaptinCarl.

You will probably have more fun with Rag in the deck, and might even get some wins solely because of him. A golden Doomhammer is a good trade, because the following reasons.

1. It's a good Epic, but it's class specific.
2. My Shaman deck rocks without it.
3. You would be getting a NEUTRAL legendary which could be used in a shaman deck or any that you choose.

That said,

I've been tweaking the deck as well. And still managing to beat rush pallys (the hardest deck in my opinion), and usually winning all Rogue rush decks. I also have a second druid deck which plays more Late game, and outright destroys Priests and Mages. I'll post that later maybe. That deck I'm still in the process of tweaking each match, but it wins just as much as this mid-range control deck.

But I have found 2 Starfalls have helped MORE than hurt in the recent agro agressive decks. I'm also finding Healing to be a needed card to slow the game and reset it. An AOE and an Healing touch pretty much devestates some fast aggro decks as they keep trading and putting presure one you.
Reply Quote
I wish I could ever draw anywhere near what you described as an ideal starting draw...

But even if I do, I'll probably be against a priest who drops a 1/3 and buffs it to a 5 so your early burn can't deal with it, followed by 3/2 and 3/2 for the next 2 rounds.

The problem i'm having is with what you have indicated above - you can start doing real work when you get board control, but it seems like with the cost of our burn cards, you never get it. You have to play a 2 cost burn card to deal with a 2 cost minion, or a 5-6 cost to deal with a 4 cost...

My matches with my druid go something like this:
- turn 1, I go first. Pass. Opponent drops 1/3 minion or 2/1 minion. If it's a priest, he buffs it on top of it and it's a 1/5 and already out of your kill range.
- turn 2, wrath or attack to kill the enemy minion. Opponent plays a 3/2.
- turn 3, can either drop a minion, or try to kill the 3/2 they dropped.. if you drop a minion, say a 3/3, they burn it and smack you in the face. if you burn their minion, they drop another one.

It's not always that exact scenario - but that's the general drift. Basically always feel 1-round behind with druid, whereas with shaman/mage/warlock/priest/rogue/mage/warrior I am generally able to press the advantage.
Reply Quote
Updated deck list please :D
Reply Quote
Hi there fellow druids.

I have been following threads by you guys for a while now. I decided before I started to play Hearthstone that I wanted to focus on one class. After trying out all the classes for a while I fell in love with the Druid cardset overall. My first legendary being Rag helped me a lot.

Right now I am running a similar deck on 3*Master with close to 70% winrate after about 200 games. I still lack some cards (e.g. BGH,Thalnos, 2nd Starfall, Lore, Ysera), so I subbed in some cards that I found work well.
I just wanted to run my decklist and some ideas by you guys and see what you guys think.

Right now I am running:

2x Claw
2x Wrath
1x Ooze
2x Faerie Dragon
1x Cobra / Scarlet Crusader
1x Geomancer
2x Harvest Golem
2x Shattered Sun Cleric
2x Swipe
1x Chillwind Yeti / Orgre Magi / Dwarf
2x Keeper of the grove
1x Starfall
1x Nourish
2x Azure Drake
2x Druid of the Claw
2x Starfire
1x Argent Commander
1x Sunwalker
1x Ironbark
1x Rag

So I subbed in Geo for Thalnos, it lacks the Carddraw but the Swipe-Combo still works well.
Instead of BGH I have tried a lot and I felt that Cobra helps against huge drops aswell, sadly not as consistently. Scarlet is mainly my pressure sub.

I also tried Novice and Hoarder instead of Fairydragon. I found that fairydragon helps a lot for building early board pressence. I like Hoarder over Novice though because it can trade up against the typical 3/2 2-drops especially when you go first. It is weak against 1 dmg abilities but that also forces them to not play a minion.
Right now I run Yeti again sometimes Yeti helps but so far I like the turn 4 dwarf trade-up and support for a strong Commander against bigger drops.
Ogre Mage was kinda meh.
I still run Nourish because I only own 1 Starfall. I usually feels like a dead card because of the other Carddraw in the deck but I dont really know what sub would be good. I was thinking about +1 Yeti ?

Sunwalker helps A LOT against the Hunter Hounds decks.

Ironbark is my sub for Lore. I tried a lot of other stuff instead but it never really feels quite right. My dream replacement would probably be Black Knight. I just love this card. I think it would help the mid-range power tremendously. Any suggestions ?

The Rush-Decks are a pain to play against but I usually manage to win at least against Lock (Pally and Rogue are harder). I thought about getting more spellpower against rush decks (2x Geo + Thalnos to make Swipe stronger early? I find myself in need of a 2 dmg aoe a lot of times. Some hard to kill 1 drops that profit from Sun Cleric or Dwarf might be good (Argent Squite, Worgen Infil.)?

Also for some reason Priests give me a hard time. I always wonder why. Lately instead of the control-ish priest I have seen more aggro oriented priest decks. Eventhough all the 4 atk drops should demolish priests, I am having a hard time. Maybe my timing / pressure is wrong ?

As for legendaries: Thalnos aside, what would you recommend to get ?

Lastly, I noticed – all I get are Rogues,Priests and Paladins. I maybe faced like 1-2 Druid in all my 200+ games.

Sorry for the long post. Keep it up, I really like this thread!

cheers
Reply Quote
@Joey, You run a deck pretty close to myself and Icarium, and others on the board as well. The Big Game Hunter is your answer to the following cards the turn you play it.

Rag (if yours gets MC)
Venture Merc
Priest Legendary
Super buffed minion from priest (inner fire BS)
Kings buff

It's even more useful, if you include Dark Iron Dwarfs allowing you to kill any 5 or higher attack. at turn 7. Agaisnt a priest, if you don't have an answer for MC, that turn, your rag is going to be hurting you. and 2 turns to respond with cobra is not an option at higher levels of play. An example of my last game I played last night.

Priest MC my black knight (lol bad)
I Drop Rag and it RNG's the black knight
Priest MC my Rag
I drop Big Game Hunter and kill rag, and drop some more 4 attack minions.
Priest is sweating
I drop Ysera

I had Ysera, BGH, Black knight, and Rag all in my hand at early parts in the game, but played it out that way. I wouldn't drop Ysera unless both MC are used. I wouldn't drop Rag unless I have a BGH, vs a priest.

That said, your deck looks good, not really much I would change, except that I would take out the sunwalker for another argent commander. Silence kills that guy. At turn 6 has that guy saved you from a hunter deck? They generally just drop an owl as it's a beast and bypass taunts (the good players)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]