Icarium's Ultimate Mid-Range Druid

Thanks Skaith for the insight!

Well yeah, sometimes I get Owl'd when I drop a Sunwalker to protect myself against the OTK. Then again, its not like they always have an owl ready. No card will protect you against this kinda of otk when they have an owl. Most of the time I am able to force them to use the combo early or kill them before they can.
Reply Quote
I've been having a bit more success with the rush decks putting in some more heals lately. I'm testing it out, but earthen ring guys (the 3 mana 3/3 that heals for 3), and healing touch has really help reset the game. Keep your health above 25ish and the UTH can have trouble. But my heals ALSO help vs mage decks that nuke you down fast. where a sunwalker wouldn't help vs mage matchup

But this might be a moot point because blizz is nerfing UTH
Reply Quote
Yeah I've been playing with Earthern and Healing Touch and both have helped me win those close matchups when you need to stay out of direct damage range. I took out the Sun Clerics since I never really had much early board presence to give the +1/+1 to some minion in about 50% of the games.

Cheers,
CC-
Reply Quote
I'd like to pipe in and say that this deck has been very good to me with few losses, the only one coming to mind with a very lucky mage (but hey... thats mage). This is even with what i consider my less than optimal changes simply due to not having all the cards. Boosted me from masters 1 to masters 2 and well on my way to 3.

+2 novice engineers
+1 yeti (2 total)
+2 gnomish inventors
+1 abomination
+1 demolisher

I know the last two seem pretty weird but they always seem to draw out removal which leads to my charge minions having an easy time.

-1 rag
-2 azure
-1 lore
-1 thalnos
-1 big game
-1 starfall

So basically just a bunch of rare stuff I don't have lol. I am considering adding a boss monster such as the ironbark but always a risk vs preists.
Reply Quote
thank you very much for this thread and build!
but: any update on this?
Reply Quote
I've been really busy lately so I haven't been playing much Hearthstone, but I updated the deck.

I've been playing Druid ramp lately so I haven't been tuning this deck much at all, I'll give it some good testing in the next couple weeks, I suspect it will look quite different.
Reply Quote
thank you very much!

could you tell me which deck you mean by "druid ramp"? i am very interested in another druid deck :)
Reply Quote
Fun build, wish i had the dust for the legendaries
Reply Quote
Are some of you still using Icarium's deck, Weebey's one or a variation of it in ranked play ?
I used this kind of deck and managed to reach rank 10, but I am not sure this deck can stay competitive below rank 10. It's getting harder to win against some decks.

Is there anyone having a good rank and still using this kind of druid deck ? Or should druids necessarily play more late game deck with big creatures and innervates to be/stay competitive ? What do you think ? ^^
Reply Quote
I'm at rank 8 running the following

2 wrath
2 swipe
2 starfall
1 starfire
2 innervate
2 claw
1 healing touch

2 novice eng
2 faerie dragon
1 big game hunter
2 acolyte of pain
1 bloodmage thalnos
1 ancient of lore
2 druid of the claw
2 keeper of the groove
1 black knight / considering ancient of war
1 hogger / ^
1 sylvanas
1 ragnaros
1 ysera

and i'm not stuck by any means, i just stoped playing because i just had like 30 games lol. deck seems pretty solid, i kinda copied it from a forum and tweak it a little.
Edited by iMushroom on 12/25/2013 2:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
12/24/2013 07:09 AMPosted by Freiya
Are some of you still using Icarium's deck, Weebey's one or a variation of it in ranked play ?
I used this kind of deck and managed to reach rank 10, but I am not sure this deck can stay competitive below rank 10. It's getting harder to win against some decks.

Is there anyone having a good rank and still using this kind of druid deck ? Or should druids necessarily play more late game deck with big creatures and innervates to be/stay competitive ? What do you think ? ^^

I've been using mainly my aggro control deck (or midrange as Icarium calls it) with no legendaries in it. I pretty much peaked at rank 7 and have been mostly 8-9 since. The deck is intended to play as control against faster decks and as aggro against slower decks but the opponents are now very polarized between hyper fast aggro and hyper slow control. I find it very difficult to prepare for both. (Whereas I was reasonably happy with both aggro and control match-ups just 3+ weeks ago.)

The hyper aggro sacrifices card quality more than normal aggro and relies on constant draw and spam to keep up momentum. Health buffs are used to keep minions ahead of where you could efficiently deal with them, such as wiping them with aoe. Taunt based control has been shown to work better against them and I've already had some success with medium sized taunts instead of the big stuff played by hyper control. However this is very detrimental in the match-up against hyper control because the medium taunts are worse at going for the face or keeping board control against big taunts than more proactive charge/battlecry minions.

Hyper slow control became popular against mages (both pure burn and freeze control) due to heals effectively neutralizing spells to the face. Including these potentially dead cards (for example in a mirror match) made the control decks slower than ever. They're now using more taunts to deal with weenie spam but still do some healing to buy time. The priest and paladin have become less prominent, while druid and the heal-lacking shaman are happily playing their taunts. It shouldn't be too hard to include more cards like BGH or silences to deal with couple more big threats but these cards are not what you want to have against hyper aggro.

It is my preference to seek a deck that can change its nature/tactics depending on match-up and situation. I'd also rather have close matches against most decks than nearly always beat some and lose to others. I think the big taunt control druid is countered by control priest and only the presence of hyper aggro is keeping that from becoming a problem. Optimally I'd just want to now have my aggro control deck with a bit weaker cards that all had 1 lower mana cost but such an option doesn't exist. :)

So far I have resisted the temptation of bringing my non-druid decks into ranked. My tests at druid aggro and aggro combo tend to also fare poorly in current environment. Ramp aggro might work but feels very luck-of-the-draw to me.
Edited by Ksielvin on 12/26/2013 9:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
I see what you mean Ksielvin, actually that's why I like playing druid. I think it's the best class that can be effective and balanced against most deck types. Before the patch, I had great success using Icarium and Weebey 's type of deck and only aggro paladins were hard to beat but it was still something like 50% chance to win against them.

This deck is still effective but I feel that changes should be made to be "more" a midrange deck. Like the deck you are using iMushroom, including 2 innervates (but no wild growth) and more "bigger" creatures can be the solution to have a more efficient "midrange" deck.

Sylvanas and the Black Knight seem to have a huge impact in the current meta, I will probably include them in my deck. I am also considering the use of 2 Wild Pyromancers to help countering the "hyper aggro" decks.

Finally, I feel that taunt creatures are more important to protect us from some decks both during early and late game. Using Defender of Argus, Hogger and/or Ancient of war (or even Cenarius) doesn't seem to be a bad idea. Regarding the late game, I am mostly referring to the warriors using the giants + brewmaster combo... I lost some games because of this annoying combo. It's not easy to play fast enough with the current midrange deck, maybe having 2 innervates can help. Otherwise a slow game will be at the warrior's advantage, and I think that having taunts is the best solution we have to stop this combo.
Reply Quote
12/25/2013 02:32 AMPosted by iMushroom
I'm at rank 8 running the following

2 wrath
2 swipe
2 starfall
1 starfire
2 innervate
2 claw
1 healing touch

2 novice eng
2 faerie dragon
1 big game hunter
2 acolyte of pain
1 bloodmage thalnos
1 ancient of lore
2 druid of the claw
2 keeper of the groove
1 black knight / considering ancient of war
1 hogger / ^
1 sylvanas
1 ragnaros
1 ysera

and i'm not stuck by any means, i just stoped playing because i just had like 30 games lol. deck seems pretty solid, i kinda copied it from a forum and tweak it a little.

That deck screams lots of money/dust or lucky packs.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]