Molten giant/Brewmaster/Warlord Combo

I've run into this in Masters and it takes you from 30 to 0 in a single turn. Is there an effective counter to this or is it just a sign of a game in Beta?
Reply Quote
To explain, you wait until you've taken enough damage that the molten giant is free and then you warlord, molten giant, attack, brewmaster the giant, play it back and charge, rinse and repeat til your opponent is dead.
Reply Quote
Make use of the superior board control afforded by the fact that he's trying to draw a combo to burn him down. Try to limit his draw power (don't kill loot hoarders, finish off damaged minions so he can't battle rage, etc). Use tanks and (if you're the right class) secrets to stymie it when it comes out.
Reply Quote
I think you mean Warsong Commander.
Reply Quote
The biggest weakness to a Molten Giant charge Deck is that the warrior needs to be super low hp to pull it off. If you think the Warrior is playing that deck, don't bring him too low. Molten Giant only costs 0 mana at 10 health or below. Put him down to 15 and secure board control. Finish him off when you actually have enough damage to kill him outright.
Reply Quote
The most important thing about this combo is that he can't play this combo unless he's at a certain health threshold, cause he needs a minimum of 5-8 mana for this combo to work (3 from Warsong, 2 from Brewmaster and another 2 if he tries to play another Brewmaster).

If you suspect he'll try and do the combo, clear his board and make sure to never have him at 10-12 health (13 is safest). You can assume that three of his cards will be a Molten Giant, Brewmaster and Warsong, and warriors have bad card draw, so keep control of the board and he won't be able to deal with the multitude of minions you placed on the board, which also allows you to kill him in one turn before he can even combo. Multiple taunts are nice as well, as he can't afford to clear them without weapons.
Edited by Etherlight on 11/10/2013 12:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
I have only been playing for 2 days and just ran into this on lvl23 rank, had no idea that the combo existed and my laptop nearly ended up my a smashed screen watching my health drop from 30 to 0 in one go
Reply Quote
Lots of taunt is a pretty decent way to fight back as well. These decks run a lot of removal, however.

Ice Block works wonders, as does hunter misdirection, and discard.

Wait,there is no discard.
Reply Quote
12/25/2013 04:35 AMPosted by VarthDaver
Wait,there is no discard.

Warlocks have discard!

Oh... right...

Problem with discard is that it's hard to balance when there's no way to interrupt it (or the follow-up board wipe that comes after you play out your hand trying to play around Discard).
Reply Quote
11/10/2013 12:03 PMPosted by Ebilk
The biggest weakness to a Molten Giant charge Deck is that the warrior needs to be super low hp to pull it off. If you think the Warrior is playing that deck, don't bring him too low. Molten Giant only costs 0 mana at 10 health or below. Put him down to 15 and secure board control. Finish him off when you actually have enough damage to kill him outright.

That's pretty tough to do once it gets to that point. I've been noticing this deck gaining massive popularity in the 15-12 bracket, So far, I've only managed to beat it with my mage. Since I knew what he was playing from his severe lack of minions, I took him to 12 or so and waited to have enough damage to kill him.

Since the standard non-warrior decks (and non-mage, typically) is hyper aggro, I think they just have to stick to the plan and that's to kill the warrior before turn 8. However, with the amounts of control warriors can actually muster (which is hard to believe but they have a pretty decent variety) you gotta pick and choose how to play your aggro cards to be able to keep them on the board for at least two attacks before they bite it.

I wonder if this deck was made to counter paladin/druid?
Reply Quote
set up multiple unit taunt when you've gotten him down to near 12 hp.

Defend of Argus will really slow down this play
Reply Quote
This thread is old lol. The old Giants Deck wasn't like the deck people are seeing now but while the concept is the same, it's even more obvious if you're against it.

Ways to tell if you're against an OTK Giants Deck:

1. Lack of minions on board.
2. Minions that are played have been mostly card draw minions, spell-power minions, or both (Thalnos). If they run spellpower cards it's basically a sign that they're running this deck cause Warrior damage spells are overall lackluster and don't really work so well with Spellpower.
3. Mostly ends late-game turns with Armor Ups even with a lot of mana and cards in hand.

Feel free to use your hard removal spells on Azure Drakes and Auctioneers, as they are probably the most threatening minions outside of the ones used in the OTK. Kill the other minions with weaker spells or your own. Most of the OTK Giant decks I see almost never have Gorehowl or Arcanite, so their only form of late-game removal comes from Execute and Brawl. Bait out Execute as best you can and never have more than 2-3 minions on board until after both Brawls have been used, or create a scenario to bait out bad Brawls.

As others have said, attempt to leave them at 13-15 health at all times and then do that much damage in one turn. All classes can do this in some shape or form.
Edited by Etherlight on 12/25/2013 5:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/10/2013 12:03 PMPosted by Ebilk

Any recipe how to do that?
Okay, you got down your opponent to 15 and what? You can't drop any minion on board because warrior will harm himself by killing your minion with a weapon and gets around 10 hp in 1 turn. Next turn you will die.
Reply Quote
Warrior can only start pulling it off at 12 hp, doing 19 dmg at most ( warsong/giant/panda ). He will be able to do 27 dmg at 11 ( warsong/giant/faceless/panda ) and 38 dmg ( warsong/giant/giant/panda/panda ) at 10 or less.

Keeping him at 13+ and finishing him off in 1 go is one way to go. Another is to drop taunters on the board around this threshold, which totally screws the combo. Defender of argus/Mirror image etc.
Reply Quote
charge, through the 0 cost spell, Warsong, or unit inherent. Arcanite reaper / gorehowl + Heroic strike works aswell. Enraged minions of any kind work aswell.
Reply Quote
Play cautiously in attacks--take board control and wipe him out. Don't take him to 15--take him to upper teens, take board control, and do 18 points to him in one turn (or two, if you have the taunts). Taunts hose the combo. It's actually a hard thing to do if someone expects it--it's more common to pull off a "reach" for ~16 points of damage, but that's not so uncommon for other classes either.
Edited by Mario on 12/29/2013 8:00 PM PST
Reply Quote

Any recipe how to do that?
Okay, you got down your opponent to 15 and what? You can't drop any minion on board because warrior will harm himself by killing your minion with a weapon and gets around 10 hp in 1 turn. Next turn you will die.

Fair question, but there is no recipe because there is no recipe deck--totally depends on what class you have and so on. First step is to identify the possibility, which you should be able to do within the first 10 health. Note what is he *not* playing. Then be mindful. Either really really lay into him, betting that he doesn't have the combo by turn 6, or take care about anything below 20 health. With fire giants, each point of health under 20 is a point of mana (or two, if you have two in hand).

Just consider the cards and the situation on a case by case basis.
Edited by Mario on 12/29/2013 8:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
It has an extremely hilarious counter....heal....the warrior.
I was on a paladin when I realized the warrior was ramming his face into my minions to get his HP down.

He was at 15 hp.....and I played LoH on him.
Screwed up his combo, burned his weapon, & let me build up ~20 damage of lethal.
Reply Quote
That is extremely hilarious. :P
Reply Quote
Another paladin counter against warriors: just use your hero power. Keep using your hero power, as well as healing yourself when the warrior hits you, and then let his cards reach 10 maximum and get wasted each turn. When the deck has depleted, fatigue will start damaging him. This is when you start putting down your good minions and building up ~20 damage. The warrior will lack removal/control cards due to him wasting them on your 1/1 hero power minions and/or losing them due to 10 card limit.
Edited by Zone on 12/30/2013 11:09 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]