Ironbeak Owl v. Earthshock

So how do you feel about these cards? I'm on the fence.

Ironbeak Owl Brings a body to the field but costs more

Earthshock is easy to fit in with other cards and can finish off minions, especially if we have spellpower down.

I usually run Earthshock, but I'm a little on the fence. Maybe I'll start running one of each.

What do you think?
Reply Quote
Earth Shock is just a tad different because it does the damage after the silence, so Scarlet Crusader is immediately killed by an Earth Shock.

I'd say play games with either, but think about how they're used in your play. If you find having that point of damage after the silence is meaningful in enough situations, you'd use it. Especially if you have your wrath of air totem on the board. Then there's really no need for the owl.
Reply Quote
I prefer earth shock. Assuming you have at least plus 1 spellpower out, it hits as hard as your owl but you avoid having to wait a turn to attack. the owl will trade at best anyway, and I prefer having the flexibility to use the 1 or 2 or 3 depending on spellpower to finish off a guy behind taunt
Reply Quote
- Hearthstone
I think if you're going to go the minion route, you're probably better off going with Spellbreaker. It's just too easy to kill 1-health minions.

I like to run one Earth Shock at least, there are several minions it's a great card to use on, particularly Scarlet Crusader and Loot Hoarder.
Reply Quote
Not a fan of either. For silence I always run spellbreaker, since owl's body is next to useless vs most classes and earthshock's damage is laughably small. Between the two listed, I'd probably just run earthshock, since it can at least take out those pesky loot hoarders.
Reply Quote
Yeah, but if you can establish decent board control with a spell power totem out, earthshock becomes pretty interesting - especially if you drop the bloodmage rigth before hand... then you have a 3 damage, silencing nuke for a 3 mana cost (counting cost of bloodmage)
Reply Quote
I am currently running both, but I am thinking of dropping down to just ES. The Ironbeak Owl is nice to have, but my early game is hurting and I feel like there are better options to help my early game.
Reply Quote
Earthshock+Bloodmage Thalanos is amazing removal in addition to silence. I'd never take the owl over it.
Reply Quote
Earthshock>>>> Ironbeak Owl. Earthshock takes care of a lot of pesky cards. The dmg after silence is just amazing.
Reply Quote
11/16/2013 07:51 PMPosted by Clackerr
Earthshock>>>> Ironbeak Owl. Earthshock takes care of a lot of pesky cards. The dmg after silence is just amazing.

Aye thanks to Earthshock, I just completely ruined the plan of a priest who:

Went 2nd,
Used coin & summoned 2 Young Priestesses (2/1 base). Ends turn with Two 2/2.

Only mob I could summon is either Alpha wolf or a totem.
Decide to Earthshock 1 of the priestesses, it dies.

Priest buffs priestess +2 HP (2/4 now) & attacks.
I send out Scarlet Crusader. (Figured I should start baiting out his SW's)

Sure enough, the Priest uses SW:Pain on the Crusader & another + 2 HP buff on priestess (2/6).

I draw the 2nd earthshock.....Had a feeling that I should hold onto it for now. So I don't play it.
Instead I send out alpha wolf & ooze.

Priest doubles Priestess HP (2/12) & changes attack to match HP (12/12)
I take 12 damage.

Next turn: ......Earthshock.
Priest now has practically no cards in his hand.

Two turns later:
He Nova'd the wolf & ooze away but......
I end up populating the battlefield through the help of an Imp Master.
All buffed with Bloodlust & Flametongue totem. End up taking him down from 30 to 0.
Edited by Hamsta on 11/17/2013 1:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
Earth shock, it is not even close!
Earthshock is so and so much better then owl in every aspect.
Reply Quote
Boo to the owl. Not an owl fan AT ALL, other than maybe UTH OTK hunter.
Reply Quote
Earth Shock silences first then applies its damage. This means cards like Twilight Drakes*, and Scarlet Crusaders get one-shot. Earth Shock is far superior.

* a Twilight Drake's natural state is 4/1. Only when it is played does the bonus heath get applied. Even still Earth Shot one-shots it.
Reply Quote
11/13/2013 12:20 PMPosted by Billis
Earth Shock is just a tad different because it does the damage after the silence, so Scarlet Crusader is immediately killed by an Earth Shock.

This is also very good for killing deathraddle cards
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]