Kidnapper

Has anyone found a use for this card? Feels like a horrible waste of 6 mana.
Reply Quote
Yeah, kidnapper is just bad. You shouldn't use him in any deck.
Reply Quote
It's ok.

It's usually like a 5/3 plus sap, but could bounce your own minion in some cases, so a little more utility than sap.

So that's like a 5/3 which would cost 4 anyway, plus 2 mana for the sap--a wash in mana cost but +1 card advantage compared to using sap separately.

People underrate sap, it is a powerful mechanic.
Reply Quote
It's ok.

It's usually like a 5/3 plus sap, but could bounce your own minion in some cases, so a little more utility than sap.

So that's like a 5/3 which would cost 4 anyway, plus 2 mana for the sap--a wash in mana cost but +1 card advantage compared to using sap separately.

People underrate sap, it is a powerful mechanic.

A 5/3 is not worth 4 mana. It's about worth 3 mana. Sap is also not really a very good card, largely because there are a huge number of minions with some kind of come into play effect being used (and pretty much all of the high cost minions that competitive decks run have a come into play effect).

Perhaps most importantly, you can't even play kidnapper without playing another card before him - on low cost cards this is excusable, but on a 6 mana minion you're looking at not even being able to play him before turn 8 or so (that's often generous because by then you've likely already played everything that costs 2 or less in your hand). The higher the mana cost of a card the harder it is to combo it.

For how ridiculously situational kidnapper is (having something you want to sap, having nothing better to do than play a 5/3, and having enough mana + something to combo it with to actually play him in the first place), at best only barely being better than breaking even is not very impressive considering you'll never get to play him in the majority of your games.
Reply Quote
If he had Speed, it would be way worth it. but maybe tune him as a 4/3 then?

Agreed with Kith though, 5/3 for four is expensive.

He'd be better at 5 mana with combo, or 6 mana without combo.

The problem with him is it requires a combo with such a high cost associated with it.
Edited by xxATOMANTxx on 11/14/2013 12:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
[quote]Sap is also not really a very good card, largely because there are a huge number of minions with some kind of come into play effect being used (and pretty much all of the high cost minions that competitive decks run have a come into play effect).
That can also increase the effectiveness of sap because you sap buffed minions which are more valuable than their drop cost.
Reply Quote
He could be tuned up, but there are a lot worse cards.

You're wrong about sap. It's maybe the best card in the game for mid game control.
Edited by ieatbrains on 11/14/2013 1:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
Combo it with a charge for x2 charge.
Reply Quote
... So You could combo it only with 1 or 2 costing charges, which all have max 2 attack. In addition it requires 8-10 mana from You. Doesn't seem effective.
Best idea for combining it with charge would be probably "Southsea Deckhand" (1), charge for 2att, kidnapper (6), Deckhand again (1), coldblood (2) and charge for 6. Leaving You with 6/1 mob certain to be death at the next turn. I wouldn't go for it.
Reply Quote
I have two of them.

I just don't see them being useful in any deck so I might just dust them.
Reply Quote
Blizz buff pls. Only Patient Assasin suck more
Edited by Husky on 1/7/2014 10:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/07/2014 10:35 AMPosted by Husky
Blizz buff pls. Only Patient Assasin suck more

I have never used Patient Assassin, but I would be ready to include 2x of them before including 1x of Kidnapper.
Reply Quote
he would be cool if he was an actual kidnapper, you know like a smaller mind control but instead of gaining control right away you took that creature into your hand.
Reply Quote
Cost to 5, stats to 4/4.

Boom, viable creature
Edited by Husky on 1/7/2014 2:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
sap is
2 mana +1 card : put minion to enemy hand
kidnapper is
6 mana +1 card :5/3 +put minion to enemy hand (or yours but that's free bonus)

what rest is
4 mana +0 card :5/3 (there is no that effect in game, closed to it is 4 mana +1 card :4/5 or something in these lines)
so it's strong card
problem is that combo needed to be effective and expensive card for combo
maybe cost to 5 and stat to 3/3 or 4/2 (to keep aggressive attitude)
Reply Quote
honestly, it keeps you up with a good tempo if you can combo him on turn 6 or even 5 , especially helpful in arenas so far. I wouldn't say it's a bad card, more like an average one and it would have been awesome if it worked like shadowstep instead.
Reply Quote
01/07/2014 01:58 PMPosted by Husky
Cost to 5, stats to 4/4.

Boom, viable creature

Agree that 4/4 is much desirable stat wise than a 5/3.

It should either be a 4/4 for 5, or it should be a 4/4 for 6, that doesn't require you to Combo at all. I'd probably roll 1 of it, either way, just to hold onto tempo for late game pushes. Really helps the utility aspect of a rogue deck with Shadow Step, also. Could play him turn 6 to bounce fattie, attack with other guys. Turn 7, attack with him first, then Shadow Step and replay for additional bounce, then push with the rest of the team.

Anything that helps Shadowstep toolkits is fun. Just needs a very minor tweak to become usable. 5/3 for 6 is fairly weak, might be okay if he was Sap on a stick, but the fact that you need to pay 2 additional mana on his 4 cost body (Sap cost) AND Combo is a deal breaker.

4/4 for 6, no combo needed, or 4/4 for 5, combo needed. Very respectable card.
Reply Quote
Id be okay with it if it said put a card in play into your hand. So you could take your opponents creatures and put it into your hand.
Reply Quote
They put too many options into the card, and as a result it became too expensive. Change it so it can only target enemy minions; reduce stats and make it cheaper so it can actually fit in a combo deck. Something like [3/3 combo:sap] for 4 mana maybe.
Reply Quote
I just played arena with that card because I thought it would be fun to try and build some kind of Combo/Sap-Deck... and then I realized how bad of a card it actually is.
And who would have thought it, here is already a thread about it.

Why would you ever make a minion of that value have a combo-effect?
I had him sitting in my hand and just couldn't play him because I didn't have the right cards for a good combo or only play it with the drawback of having a card disadvantage afterwards because of him.
The exact problems you all have mentioned.

Why is his effect not a battlecry in game full of minions with good battlecries? You don't have to force the combo-system on that minion only because it's a Rogue card.
Even before I used him in a actual match I looked at the Rogue cards and thought "How is this card epic? It is only a high cost Sap and not that good of a minion."

They really have to buff him or atleast lower the cost a bit so that it's useful.

Just think about, it's a 6 cost card buf if you want to use the effect you have to play something first, so you have to use atleast 2x cards anyway.
Let's say the other card is a 1 or 2 cost (0 if you are lucky but it's really situational) so 2x cards and 7-8 cost...
If I use a normal Sap and a Chillwind Yeti (for example) with much better stats I maybe loss the additional effect of the card you would've comboed the Kidnapper with but it's always only 6 cost, I can use it on turn 6 and have a better minion on the field afterwards.

So I don't really get what part of that card is epic if you can easily replicate the effect with two basic cards and still have 1.) lower cost and 2.) a higher chance to actually use it, because even without the extra minion in my example you can always use Sap, the Kidnapper on the other hand is pretty useless without the combo and still costs 6.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]