Beginner Mage Help

Hi everyone!

I've recently switched over from Rogue to Mage, and am struggling to find a nice beginner deck with which I can win consistently.

Anyone got any nice cheap suggestions along with tips on how to use it?
Reply Quote
Mages have a very strong basic deck, which could net you some consistent wins (it did for me while I saved for some better cards).

Something like this should work

1 Cost:
2 Arcane Missile

2 Cost:
2 Kobold Geomancer
2 Arcane Explosion
2 Frostbolt
2 Acidic Swamp Ooze

3 Cost:
2 Arcane Intellect
2 Shattered Sun Cleric

4 Cost:
2 Fireball
2 Chillwind Yeti
2 Polymorph
2 Ogre Magi
2 Shengin Sheildmaster
2 Gnomish Inventor

5+ Cost:
2 Archmage
1 Flamestrike
1 Stormwind Champion

This isn't the strongest deck, but it should get you some consistent wins. You may want to swap the Gnomish Inventor for a Novice Engineer, though I like the Gnomish Inventor more as it tends to trade better. Also 2 Archmages may be overkill. They are a pretty awkward card to deal with however, since they have high health and with 4 attack sit in the sweet spot when going against priests. Remember that before you buff them to 5 attack with either a Shattered Sun Cleric or the Stormwind Champion (same applies for Ogre Magi).

Early game you will want to keep board control by using your low cost spells in conjunction with your Kobold Geomancer. Coin into Geomancer with an Arcane Missiles or Explosion handy can be very strong. Use the Shattered Sun Cleric to keep your low cost minions alive for better trades. You can also use them to buff your Shield Master into the sweet spot vs priests.

I tend to save my fireballs for direct damage to the hero whenever possible and use other removal instead. With a spell power minion on the field 2 fireballs will amount to 14 damage at turn 8. This strategy works well if you plan on rushing, in which case it may be better to swap the Sheildmastas for charge creatures.

Cards I Would Save For:

Common-

Cone of Cold: Great control and decent damage with a spell power minion. Can be used to kill stealth creatures.
Sorcerer's Apprentice: 3/2 all spells cost 1 less mana.
Mana Wyrm: Great opening card which gains attack as you cast your spells.

Rare-
Blizzard: Excellent removal card that many rate higher than Flamstrike.
Azure Drake: Spell power, card draw, and a 4/4
Argent Commander: I love this card. 4 damage, charge with divine shield makes for some very great trades.

Epic-
Pyroblast: A game winner, instant 10 damage on turn 8.
Edited by Trius on 11/10/2013 11:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
Trius, i just started playing yesterday and you not only helped the topic creator but this also helped me very much! thanks!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]