Suppose I didn't want to use UTH

How would I make a good Hunter Deck? I'm just wondering if Hunters are too dependent on beast synergy and UTH right now. I've got a nice win strak with Hunters ATM, but I'm just wondering how many other ways there are to play the class.
Reply Quote
You could craft a deck with UTH but wich is not a 1 turn kill deck.
Uth is a to good card to leave out, the extra 1 attack is permanent and not only for the turn uth is casted.
I guess you can just make a deck with a ton of beasts,put in all the removal hunter has and instead of waiting to play creatures untill you can 1 turn kill your opponent you can start laying down a buzzard and 2 beasts at say turn 4/5 already.Use the houndmaster (wich has no place in uth decks) as a sort of northshire cleric/defender of argus and play the game like people play arena games,trying to slowly get board control by playing creatures and making favourable trades.
Am not sure if this will be verry efficient but if you just put in all the good basic cards and all the good hunter cards you should be able to score pretty decent.
Edited by Dido on 11/13/2013 11:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
(Note to self: remove Houndmaster from my deck once I get a second UTH card).

Makes sense, and I kind of do play that way because I only have one UTH card, and it doesn't always show. But I'm still in Diamond 3, so I wasn't sure how viable that would be going forward.
Reply Quote
Currently in Masters 2* I'm running a deck that's not UtH dependent, (Sure I have 1 in my deck but then, who doesn't? :p) and I have 2 Houndmasters in that deck which I - mostly - don't regret, that deck works with mostly low cost beasts that work with each other with 2 minion cards that cost more than 4 in it (being stv tiger and Savanah).
They're usually nice to bait your opponent to put down a minion that without the houndmaster's buff, would be able to take on your minion/s or survive it, and of course, that buff is also great to avoid certain spells from being deadly to something you'd really want to keep on the field in that time (bringing a minion to having 4 atk so that SWP can't reach it or that it wouldn't die to a fire blast etc etc, just get creative with it :P)
Reply Quote
decklist?
Reply Quote
Glad to know you're not too UTH-dependent in Master's 2!

Just made Master's 1, but this is the more aggressive of the hunter decks I was playing with last night:
http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilder/hunter#74:1;86:2;101:2;162:1;163:1;167:2;210:1;225:1;239:1;279:2;317:1;344:1;407:2;422:2;488:2;500:1;519:2;576:2;578:2;629:1;

Not at all optimal, but it won me like 5 games in a row before turn 9.
Edited by BlackAdder on 11/13/2013 8:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
This is my "Trapmaster" deck. Its a trap based control deck. I have been tweaking it for several days now and think I am getting it close to where I want it to be.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/16651-trapmaster

You use traps to control the board and try to use your minions, hero power and weapon to wear the enemy down.

I (unhappily) added one UTH the other day as a back up plan, and sadly my win rate went up because of this.

I'm trying VERY VERY hard to build a hunter deck without UTH in the face of coming nerfs so that I can play hunter successfully after patch. Plus when they nerf it, people will stop playing hunters like they did rogue, so there will be less counter cards in decks.

Things I still have in the air:

I want two Eaglehorn Bows (took one out for the UTH, not sure what to replace for it. Some games I never draw it anymore, and some games it gets oozed, need 2).

I want to replace one of the minion kill cards with kill command so I can option for direct damage. I lost to a mage deck the other day that pyroblasted me when he had 2 health left. I had 6 cards in had, all minion removal. He only played 1 minion the whole game. :'(

Ragnaros is in there as a finisher. As long as I can bait out Hex, Polymorph and am not playing against a Priest he is very good at finishing the game for me. Again though, I would like to not have to rely on him.

TLDR: Trap based hunter control deck. Needs a few more tweaks.
Reply Quote
Looks like fun, but I'm surprised you get much utility out of freezing trap. It's one of those cards that doesn't even get a real 1 for 1 trade. I agree that kill command is a really good card for board control or direct damage.
Reply Quote
I often use freezing trap with a minion that has been buffed (like by Druid, Priest, or Warrior).

In this capacity, although I don't kill the minion, I do get a 1 for X trade. Then the monster costs two more. This is really fun to use late game with 9 cost cards. They become a dead card in the owners hand.
Reply Quote
11/14/2013 07:16 PMPosted by Iskande
In this capacity, although I don't kill the minion, I do get a 1 for X trade. Then the monster costs two more. This is really fun to use late game with 9 cost cards. They become a dead card in the owners hand.

Makes sense. I guess I just don't typically think of hunter cards as late game plays :)
Reply Quote
I would drop freezing trap altogether. It doesn't remove or threaten, it merely stalls a turn. You mention cool tricks it can do, but that is in a few situations. You want to have cards and combos that work ALL THE TIME. Also you have a spellbreaker in the deck, why not sub it out for owl? Owl is a beast and has synergy with UTH and Timber Wolves.
Reply Quote
Freezing trap is like sap, while its nice to have once, it doesnt really take care of the problem. Only stalls it. Specially if the attacking card has some kind of charge /battlecry ect
Reply Quote
The problem with owl though is that it does its silence then likely dies before its summoning sickness wears off. This is not a UTH OTK deck, this is a hunter control deck. A spellbreaker can actually do something on the board without UTH.
Reply Quote
Sap is a better card. I've lost to beat decks with Sap.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]