Does Starving Buzzard really need a nerf?

It maybe just me, but Starving Buzzard seemed fine the way it was.

Perhaps it was a bit much in the Unleash the Hounds deck, but that has other problems that should be addressed elsewhere (and I see lots of threads already dedicated to it.)

More or less the Buzzard always has had a HUGE target on its back, and I've never dropped it unless I could get a card from it that turn. Sure that's strong, but a 2/2 that draws a card is just a little better than Novice Engineer, a fine card, but not really an overpowering one.

Hunter doesn't seem like it really has many pure card advantage engines, and making this thing one toughness, so it falls prey to anything that even sneezes at it. At that point, besides being a beast, Loot Hoarder seems like it is almost anyways the better card, since you always get the card for it.
Reply Quote
Just in the Mage's arsenal. Fireblast, Cone of Cold, Arcane Missiles. All of them untauntable abilities that will now outright kill my only draw engine! Not happy with this change at all!
Reply Quote
Have to admit i dont get this change at all either.
Mage rogue and druid can now kill it with their hero ability,can never play the buzzard on turn 2 against them.
Then on to turn 3, for 3 mana totall and 1 card ( 2 mana buzzard + 1 mana boar) you get a 2/1 and a 1/1 with charge, you would still be better off playing razorfen hunter unless the buzzard stays alive another turn but that seems unlikely with 1 hp.
Can now only play the buzzard efficiently if you combo it with at least 2 other beasts.
Even if you combo it with an animal companion on turn 5 and get misha (the best possible drop you can get) you are only marginally better off then the guy who played a turn 5 silverhand knight lol.
Edited by Dido on 11/9/2013 4:52 AM PST
Reply Quote
This Buzzard change forces the hunter to play UtH OTK....

It makes every other deck less viable...

I don't get it...
Reply Quote
Agreed, when I saw this nerf I was annoyed. The Buzzard isn't going to be nearly as playable when a mage, druid or rogue can just ping it right off the board.

Hunter card draw isn't all that great in the first place, and now it's going to suffer even more because of this change.

It would make more sense to make it a 1/2 instead if they really wanted a nerf, same as a Novice Engineer.

After this, I'm worried what they're planning to do to UTH next.
Reply Quote
I don't get the reason for this nerf either. It makes it so other deck builds can't even rely on it due to the fact that it can be taken out easily with some of the hero powers. To be completely honest, I would have rather them have made it be a 3 cost 1/2 or something rather than nerfing it down to a 2/1.

Was anyone even asking them to make that nerf? I don't get it.
Reply Quote
Northshire Cleric, 1 mana, 1/3, draw a card with every minion healed, enough said.
Reply Quote
Anything involving a draw a card mechanic seems very strong. Drawing extra cards seems to be the strongest move available for any deck. IMO any draw extra card minions or abilities should be limited in the number of cards allowed. Possibly to two extra cards.
Reply Quote
@Lister:

I get your point.... But BLIZZ nerfed every other builds but UtH-OTK...

This change does not stop the one turn combo, but stops every other hunter deck!!!

Sorry to say but this stupid change forces even more hunter to play one turn kill...

It's a joke guys!
Reply Quote
starving buzzard nerf dosent make any sense at all it become compledly worthless one turn card that dosent even have value in deck anymore meanwhile northire cleric gets same card draw with less strict requirements and stays alive for multible turns most of the time blizzard rly failed this change it would be only acceptable if buzzard cost would get dropped to 1 and even then it would rarely be worth of a deck slot anymore exept for beast combinations
Edited by drakonz on 11/9/2013 9:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
Hi!

I personally think that the beast system needs a rework. Have been saying that for a loooong time. You need bad creatures in play on same turn and few of then can survive a turn to actually attack then. I think it's a pretty big flaw in the design of Hunters Beasts that none of them are good on their own and thus you need to have them all or none at all.
Reply Quote
I personally thought the card needed a buff. Should have either been a drop in cost or an increase in health. I was rather shocked by the nerf.
Reply Quote
This Buzzard change forces the hunter to play UtH OTK....

It makes every other deck less viable...

I don't get it...

Very true, and then they will nerf that deck....
Reply Quote
Now when I voiced against hunters, I only voiced against UTH and if it was the only way hunters were succeeding then it needs an entire lookthrough......

....that being said though, I am in much agreement this adjustment feels strange for many reasons.
Edited by Warstrat on 11/9/2013 6:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
i loved this card when snake trap would go off. oh well.
Reply Quote
Haven't you guys learnt by now? Mages rule, hunters drool. Pretty sure that has always(except for 1 or 2 seasons?) been the case in WoW.
Really hope they'll at least give hunters the option to disenchant all their cards for full payback (Yeah right..) to craft a new one with any other class.
Reply Quote
@Warstrat: I can understand the feeling... UtH-OTK combo is not OP, but it feels so... I know many players were protesting against the UtH card itself, not against the hunters.... But this change makes it even worse... The hunter can protect it's drawing mechanism ONLY with OTK combo. So the Buzzard stays out for only one turn making it impossible to kill it before the benefits.

@Shifty: if the buzzard would be 1/3 or even 0/3 for 3 mana... it would reduce the OTK efficiency by a large margin, making the other hunter decks more viable while keeping the hunter's only draw machine...Everybody is happy now... (I hope BLIZZ follows these forums....)
Reply Quote
@Warstrat: I can understand the feeling... UtH-OTK combo is not OP, but it feels so... I know many players were protesting against the UtH card itself, not against the hunters.... But this change makes it even worse... The hunter can protect it's drawing mechanism ONLY with OTK combo. So the Buzzard stays out for only one turn making it impossible to kill it before the benefits.

@Shifty: if the buzzard would be 1/3 or even 0/3 for 3 mana... it would reduce the OTK efficiency by a large margin, making the other hunter decks more viable while keeping the hunter's only draw machine...Everybody is happy now... (I hope BLIZZ follows these forums....)

I'm assuming, based in the comments at blizzcon, that at lower level players just don't understand how to deal with the card and then it would have a draw over multiple turns. But at higher levels that never happens.

I agree with your changes, hell I would take a 0/1 stealthed so it can at least be used for draw. 1/3 for 2 would be ideal.
Reply Quote
Just say "no" to the starving buzzard nerf :)

I'd be ok with a nerf to UTH / OTK though.
Reply Quote
"for copper and silver play, the hunter is very strong..."

Hey I'm just a guy on the outside looking in... But, is it a good thing to nerf cards based on the current meta of low-end tiers?
Edited by JSmooth on 11/11/2013 7:48 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]