Does Starving Buzzard really need a nerf?

"for copper and silver play, the hunter is very strong..."

Hey I'm just a guy on the outside looking in... But, is it a good thing to nerf cards based on the current meta of low-end tiers?

I personally believe so yes, because its up to talented/skilled players to work around nerfs and buffs. And let the lesser learned players shape the game really. Not only does it keep it interesting for us but fair for them
edit:not that im so great mind you lol 2 star diamond.
Edited by Sanjiluv on 11/11/2013 7:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/11/2013 07:55 AMPosted by Sanjiluv
And let the lesser learned players shape the game really

You completely lost me there...

"lesser learned players" may gravitate towards a deck type because; it is easy to use and understand, it has a decent/good power level, and uses mostly commons. But, the fact that hunters are not dominating in the top tiers should say something about the true strengths of this class.

Heck, maybe there should be more deck types like this.

Back from my WoW days, the "conventional wisdom" was that newer ... younger... maybe "Lesser learned" players tended to gravitate towards the Hunter class. Maybe we're just seeing the same sort of trend here. That being said, I do love the Hunter class in Hearthstone. And, I'm not ashamed to say so.

A month from now, Murlocs may be the new thing in the lower tiers, and hunters may fall out of grace. But, they probably won't steam-roll over the top tier decks. Does that mean they deserve a nerf too?

I'm all for nerfing UTH. But, nerfing the Hunter's card draw engine makes me hesitate.
Reply Quote
I too was surprised when I learned that Buzzards are getting nerfed, and I am very disappointed with the reason given for doing so.

I suspect that hunters are so strong at copper and silver (the lowest levels of play) for the following reasons:

1) They are a straightforward class to play.
2) You don't need anything beyond Basic cards to build a fairly solid deck.
3) You can build a very powerful combo deck crafting only a few Common cards: UtH and Young Dragonhawk. For 160 or even 120 arcane dust, I can build a deck that has solid OTK potential

Reasons #1 and #2 for strong hunter play at lower levels are good things that shouldn't change; there should always be one or two straightforward, easy to understand character classes, and if you couldn't build a solid deck with only basic cards, well that would make things worse for low levels of play, not better.

Reason 3 is not necessarily a bad thing either. I understand that in order to attract new players, you don't want there to be only one viable low-level strategy, but UtH is going to get a nerf. Yes, Buzzard makes it a lot easier to pull off the UtH combo, but once againe, UtH is going to get a nerf... Seriously, why nerf Buzzards too? I rarely see my buzzards live longer than one round as it is.
Reply Quote
11/09/2013 06:35 AMPosted by Guza
Northshire Cleric, 1 mana, 1/3, draw a card with every minion healed, enough said.

Northshire Cleric is not nearly the card draw engine that Starving Buzzard is. It's good if you have creatures regularly getting damaged but not killed - especially things like the Injured Blademaster. But you don't usually have the opportunity to look at your hand and say "OK, I'll drop Northshire Cleric and these other cards and end up drawing 5 cards this turn."

Not saying Northshire Cleric is good. Not even saying that the Starving Buzzard needed a nerf. Just saying that the Buzzard had a lot more potential to come out and let you entirely cycle your hand for a new one all at once. It's hard to get lots of cards from a Northshire Cleric without your opponent having at least a chance to stop it.
Reply Quote
ok i dont play much hunter, and never the otk style. I am coming here as an outsider. that having been said as a high platinum player it has been my experience that even back as a 2 health minion starving buzzard was completely undefend-able. I would never expect it to live a second turn and only play it for the cards I could draw that turn, or if I needed to use it as a soft taunt. In that way I don't see how cutting on health would change my expectation of how it will preform.

I don't like OTK but I don't see that it needs a nerf. it can be shut down and requires the good will of the RNG gods.

How ever if you are looking for OTK nerfs... I agree this is not it. this does not hurt OTK at all.
Reply Quote
Are you guys serious roflmao, starving buzzard is the biggest reason why huntards are so overpowered, they can out of nowhere get a bunch of minions and use UTH and kill someone before they can do ANYTHING. Such a joke that you guys think it's not overpowered, typical.
Reply Quote
11/12/2013 08:57 AMPosted by Fame
Are you guys serious roflmao, starving buzzard is the biggest reason why huntards are so overpowered, they can out of nowhere get a bunch of minions and use UTH and kill someone before they can do ANYTHING. Such a joke that you guys think it's not overpowered, typical.

The nerf to buzzard does absolutely nothing to prevent the UTH OTK strategy... I'm not sure that you understand how it works... typical?
Reply Quote
11/12/2013 09:20 AMPosted by JSmooth

The nerf to buzzard does absolutely nothing to prevent the UTH OTK strategy... I'm not sure that you understand how it works... typical?

JSmooth said it all this nerf change nothing to OTK Hunter I tried the deck and it's all about secret to mitigate the damage (Snipe, Explosive Trap, Misdirection) and drop Kill Command/Deadly Shot to release some pressure.

All you need really is a buzzard/Unleash then ur good to go. Drop Buzzard. Start playing cheap 1 beast (Boar/Dragon Fly/Timber Wolf) then u'll probably get ur second Unleash or other cheap 1 beast then just go for the face and win.
Reply Quote
buzzard nerf is not needed , hunters play low casting cost critters building up to uth ,, a hunter cant kill u by round 5/6 so if a buzzard is on the table that long your a crap player not to target it n kill it and every deck has ways to kill a 2/2 early on , nerfing buzzard will ruin hunter decks ,, and as mentioned above priest with northshire cleric if buzzard is considered op then northshire is massivly op cos priests can keep it alive forever and get card after card so wheres the difference ?? buzzard no nerf needed blizz - pple need to ltp .
Reply Quote
11/11/2013 05:31 PMPosted by Moncrief
Northshire Cleric, 1 mana, 1/3, draw a card with every minion healed, enough said.

Northshire Cleric is not nearly the card draw engine that Starving Buzzard is. It's good if you have creatures regularly getting damaged but not killed - especially things like the Injured Blademaster. But you don't usually have the opportunity to look at your hand and say "OK, I'll drop Northshire Cleric and these other cards and end up drawing 5 cards this turn."

Not saying Northshire Cleric is good. Not even saying that the Starving Buzzard needed a nerf. Just saying that the Buzzard had a lot more potential to come out and let you entirely cycle your hand for a new one all at once. It's hard to get lots of cards from a Northshire Cleric without your opponent having at least a chance to stop it.

played against many priest decks and the good players can keep northshire alive and get lots of card draw ,, if buzzard gets nerfed so shud northshire . simples.
Reply Quote
Any idea if or when is it actually going to happen?
Reply Quote
The problem isn't the amount of cards you draw the turns AFTER you drop buzzard.

The problem is the amount of cards you draw THE VERY TURN you drop buzzard.
Reply Quote
Blizzard stated that from the start it is not about the buzzard as a whole it is because the mages couldn't kill it with their fireblast. It is all because of the mages probably because they are "NOT" used in most tournaments, or because they are do "NOT" have spells to control the board.

Also if you do not have +spell power minion of the field how is arcane explosion or arcane missiles how can a mage kill the Buzzard?
Reply Quote
I really hope they don't nerf it to a 2/1..
Why doesn't it get the Northshire Stats? In my Opinion the 1/3 is even more op than the 2/2 and they didn't even talk about this !@#$ card..
Reply Quote

Also if you do not have +spell power minion of the field how is arcane explosion or arcane missiles how can a mage kill the Buzzard?

Is this irony? I am sorry if I missed it but the answer is Frostbolt or the Owl.

The problem isn't the amount of cards you draw the turns AFTER you drop buzzard.

Exactly that is the problem for the hunters. You only get 2 cards per Buzzard tops and that is only if you save all your 2/3 drops for turn 6+. Normally you get 0-1 card. That is super unfair if you compare it to all the other classes.
Reply Quote

Is this irony? I am sorry if I missed it but the answer is Frostbolt or the Owl.

Exactly that is the problem for the hunters. You only get 2 cards per Buzzard tops and that is only if you save all your 2/3 drops for turn 6+. Normally you get 0-1 card. That is super unfair if you compare it to all the other classes.

Yes is was irony. Mages have everything:

1) Good board clear.
2) Good removals - poymorph, freeze.
3) Best damn spells in the game + awesome direct damage.
4) They also have secrets just in case like vaporize or counterspell.

Do not get me wrong they are top class but I think the other classes need to be on par too. This buzzard nerf is just a way to tickle the mages balls.
Reply Quote
Huh. The nerf to Starving Buzzard is annoying, but it won't slow my Hunter deck down that much, and it's not UTH.

Personally, I thought they would just increase it to 3 mana. Putting it at one health really just makes it more susceptible to Mages, and little else.
Edited by Proteus on 11/20/2013 10:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
Yes this is nothing more than an indirect buff for mages. It won't change my deck or playstyle in any way. But why do mages need another buff? That is the 1 million dollar question here.

They said that the Buzzard lives too long in noob games. Making it a 2/1 sounds reasonable if you consider this, but why not change it to 1 mana too? It would still die the next turn, but it would be a fair trade. Just nerfing the weakest class is kind of awkward.
Reply Quote
tbh, I'm glad they brought that up, made me change to a different class and get my masters 3* so much more easily (and more fun) than I thought it'd be.
Cheers Blizzard, for opening my eyes!
Reply Quote
Snake trap makes this card look broken as hell
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]