The real issue with mind control.

It kills a unit, spawns a unit and then gives that unit a form of charge.

Why does it have charge?

Most people have to spend a turn killing a board (Flamestrike ect), Then spend another turn adding units.
Priests can waste your entire last turn, put down a huge minion in a turn, and then attack ON THAT TURN ALL with one card. Be it 8 mana or 10.

This means mind control effectively gives you charge in a warped sense.

What needs to happen? The minion is freezed for a turn after taking it, giving you two turns to respond. So the priest also wastes his turn effectively just stalling the game out a turn which gives card draw options for his other answers in the deck. Sure, they are a card up on you but it doesn't exactly stop tempo this way and gives the option to still rush the priest down.

Changing it to 10 mana will only keep the rage and weaken a class for a stupid reason. 1 card should not be balance. You need to tweak minor things across the board for balance. Charge is worth about 2 mana (Argent vs Lord of Arena) so it pays for its self on any minion 3 mana or more. So don't even bother trying to cap it because most people will use it against a 5 mana or more unit anyways.

P.S: I have a 82% win rate priest deck atm without any mind controls. Priest is op without mind control and needs another nerf, but this is a good start to find out what the issue with priest is. (I say its injured blademaster because you can heal it without costing you a card, meaning it trades 2 for 1 or more much easier, with a power word shield cantriping, its like an OP yeti on 4.)
Reply Quote
Priests are OP as hell I agree

However, Mind Control does not give charge. Minions have the Z's on them on the turn they are mind controlled
Reply Quote
It depends on the minion that is Mind Controlled. For instance I just played a game where a priest MCed my Grommash Hellscream. Grommash has charge therefore he was able to attack on the same turn that he was MCed.

But I do agree that making it cost 10 mana really won't solve the issue. They really should implement some type of downside to MC like reduced stats or having an increased summoning sickness (not being able to attack for 2 turns instead of waiting 1) or any of the other good ideas I've seen mentioned in the forums. They could say it's because the minion is fighting against the mind control.
Edited by Grizul on 11/17/2013 7:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
I think the OP is referring to other cards that DO actually give charge.

For some absurd reason, Shadow Madness will let you attack with your stolen minion while Mind Control won't.

Personally, I think this should be changed so that they're more consistent. Preferably with Mind Control becoming like Shadow Madness.
Reply Quote
changing it to 10 mana instead of giving it a real counter like silence simply punts the issue.

I bet they have to revist this issue again if that is the "fix"
Reply Quote
All mind control is is a two for one card. Lots of cards are two for one like Azure Drake and Fire elemental. Whats strong about mind control is that it scales up based on what your opponent has on the board. If he has a huge creature then you get a huge kill and a huge creature of your own which is obviously super huge.

The counter to this is to have a deck with small creatures or have lots of battlecry. If the priest spends 8 mana to steal your small creature you can easily survive it and with battlecry only you get the effect. The priest cant take that part of the card.

Ever since the priest got heavily buffed the meta game has changed where smaller creature decks have been dominating and big creature decks are very rare. The reason? Fear of priests!

If mind control had a limit like "Take control of a creature with attack 5 or less" it would be much less fearful and still good at 8 mana. However that is a different card that they can print in the future. If the current scaling card can be made to work they should try to do it. We'll see if 10 mana makes a difference.

One big thing about costing 10 mana is its very hard to justify having two cards in your deck. You will HATE drawing them I guarantee it. This is the hidden cost of all high lvl spells. They are dead in your hand and usless while you suffer early pressure. They have to deliver good punch when you eventually can cast them.

For those who follow MTG. They have recently learned in the past few years that they needed to make they're high cost cards stronger than was traditional for a long time. Everyone knew that high cost cards were not competitive in tournament play. New players would always be attracted to them then get dissapointed when it turned out they sucked in reality. Card power should curve up with mana cost to justify the wait needed to use them.
Edited by Mozolog on 11/19/2013 8:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
#PriestsOP
Reply Quote
Mind control should silence the minion after mind controlling it. That would make it much more balanced.
Reply Quote
A 10 mana Mind Control is already going to make it difficult to play.
Reply Quote
04/14/2014 11:08 PMPosted by Glaston
11/17/2013 06:35 PMPosted by Binnes
Priests are OP as hell I agree

However, Mind Control does not give charge. Minions have the Z's on them on the turn they are mind controlled

I totally agree. Now even with it being 10 mana it's still OP

Reaching back to November to get some MC hate now, huh? You're making yourself look ridiculous.
Reply Quote
yeah pretty ridiculously overpowered to be able to MC an enraged grommash
Reply Quote
Don't necro threads. Read the forum guidelines please.
Reply Quote
11/17/2013 06:59 PMPosted by Grizul
It depends on the minion that is Mind Controlled. For instance I just played a game where a priest MCed my Grommash Hellscream. Grommash has charge therefore he was able to attack on the same turn that he was MCed.

But I do agree that making it cost 10 mana really won't solve the issue. They really should implement some type of downside to MC like reduced stats or having an increased summoning sickness (not being able to attack for 2 turns instead of waiting 1) or any of the other good ideas I've seen mentioned in the forums. They could say it's because the minion is fighting against the mind control.

Shadow madness without "charge" would make it very useful indeed. "Take control over an enemy minion with 3 or less attack, let it zzzz on your side of the board for a while, and at the end of the turn give it back".

But then again, that would fit perfectly into the current priest "theme" and all the rest of the cards in this subpar class.

When it comes to stealing chargeminions, charge isnt a battlecry, its an innate ability which counters summoning sickness. If you're saying mind control should remove all abilities from minions you are a thick one indeed.
Edited by Baluba on 5/22/2014 7:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]